south beach diet snack ideas

kimay

hello everyone,

Ki here. I was just wanting to ask all of you who were on the south beach diet of any tasty snack ideas that you just love. I haven't been eating the right things consistently since Thanksgiving. Also if anyone had any chicken breast recipes. Thanks

This really isn't a suggestion for South Beach, but here's how I have managed to tackle my obsession for ice cream. I have ALWAYS loved ice cream. It became an evening staple for my husband and me. I finally got it in my mind that I was no longer going to eat ice cream, but I had to have something to substitute it with. Unfortunately, I can't make myself eat yogurt, so I started replacing my ice cream with frozen cool whip. I then top it off with some RediWhip and sprinkle cashews over that. True, it's not my beloved butter pecan, but even though my husband thinks my creation is nasty, it keeps me satisfied!

Sarah

laughing cow light cheese wedges
pistachios (be sure to weigh/measure them!)
sugar-free jello
celery
cucumbers
yogurt
string cheese

Buffalo Chicken

4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - pounded to ¼
inch thickness
4 tablespoons Smart Balance spread, melted
1/2 cup hot sauce
1/2 cup shredded low-fat provolone cheese (or one slice)
1. In a small bowl, stir together the melted Smart Balance spread and hot sauce. Place chicken breasts in a glass bowl, and pour the sauce over. Turn to coat, cover and refrigerate for 15 to 20 minutes.

2. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Remove chicken breasts from the hot sauce, and place 1 tablespoon of cheese in the center of each one. Roll up, and
secure with a toothpick. Repeat with remaining breasts, and place them seam side down in a glass baking dish.

3. Cover the dish, and bake for 30 minutes, or until chicken is fork tender. Increase the temperature of the oven to 450 degrees, and place the chicken 8 inches from the heat. Uncover, and bake for 5 minutes, until browned.

Garnish with remaining shredded cheese (or 1/2 slice), remove toothpicks, and serve with low-fat ranch or blue cheese dressing.

Makes 4 servings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Chicken Capri

1 cup reduced-fat ricotta chees
1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 cup crushed tomatoes
4 slices reduced-fat mozzrella cheese
In a blender or food processor, combine the ricotta with the oregano, salt, and pepper. Process to blend.

Rub the chicken with the garlic powder. Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 12 minutes per side. Place the chicken breasts, side by side, in a large backing dish and allow to cool.

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.

Spoon 1/4 cup of the cheese mixture and 1/4 cup tomatoes onto each chicken breast. Top each chicken breat with 1 slice mozarella. Bake for 20 minutes or until a thermometer, inserted in the thickest portion of a breast registers 170 degrees F and the juices run clear.

Makes 4 servings.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

i have at least one more that i will have to get from home!

I buy either the Cool Whip Fat Free or Cool Whip Lite, and there are only 15-20 cal per 2 tbsp serving, and only 2-3 carb grams, and only 0-1 fat grams. When I measure out the frozen cool whip, 2 tbsp is pretty good to service my sweet tooth, especially after I add a little bit of the light RediWhip to the top and sprinkle some cashews on top. Here's a link that may explain better than I could. I know that no desserts are perfect nutritionally, but I think Cool Whip definitely beats ice creams as far as calories, sugar, fat, etc.

http://www.kraftfoods.com/coolwhip/cw_sbd.html

Oh, one more thing. In my opinion, for it to even come close to ice cream, the Cool Whip has to be kept in the freezer. If it's refrigerated, it just loses the "ice cream texture"! :)

Hey Ki! go to foodtv and get the recipe for cheesy chicken chili......it's in the low carb recipes. you take the ckn breast add the stuff, bake at 400 for 20 min quick easy and DELICIOUS!!!

jes

I recommend this a lot although some people probably think I'm crazy...it's very tasty. This is my substitute for ice cream but it's not a frozen desert. It's in the South Beach book.

1/2 cup part skim Ricotta cheese
2 packages Splenda

Then flavor with flavoring of your choice. My favorite is:
1 tsp Maple flavoring
1/2 tsp Pumpkin Pie spice

This is a fabulous treat.

What's great about this is aside from the Ricotta and splenda, you can use various other flavorings and even add a few almond slices or pistachios.

I do the same thing with ricotta cheese, but I use non-fat and never splenda. Splenda, as well as other artifical sweetners come with side effects, none of them very good for the body. Splenda has the same effect in the body as that of eating insecticide. Supposedly it was thought that the body just washed it out of the body, but this is not so. Studies now show that it does, indeed, stay in the body.

Instead use natural sweeteners like stevia or Xylitol (Birch Sugar). Xylitol, however, can cause cramping in the stomach in some people, and so I use stevia. If you also use some vegetable glycerin with the stevia (just a little bit), the taste really mimics sugar and helps my sugar cravings. Sometimes I put sweetened the ricotta cheese over frozen cherries, and then it's like frozen vanilla/cherry ice cream.

But please stay away from artifical sweetners however. They are not food, but are chemicals and come with some side-effects that are health hazards.

I do the same thing with ricotta cheese, but I use non-fat and never splenda. Splenda, as well as other artifical sweetners come with side effects, none of them very good for the body. Splenda has the same effect in the body as that of eating insecticide. Supposedly it was thought that the body just washed it out of the body, but this is not so. Studies now show that it does, indeed, stay in the body.

Instead use natural sweeteners like stevia or Xylitol (Birch Sugar). Xylitol, however, can cause cramping in the stomach in some people, and so I use stevia. If you also use some vegetable glycerin with the stevia (just a little bit), the taste really mimics sugar and helps my sugar cravings. Sometimes I put sweetened the ricotta cheese over frozen cherries, and then it's like frozen vanilla/cherry ice cream.

But please stay away from artifical sweetners however. They are not food, but are chemicals and come with some side-effects that are health hazards.

cool whip is NOT a good choice.. it has trans fats in it! a better choice is the squirty can stuff.. light version!

unless of course they've changed something recently.... but last i checked... cool whip contained trans fats...

OMG! i LOVE the ricotta deserts! especially once you get to phase 2.. i had chocolate peanut butter every night for my evening snack (sugar free choco pudding and natural PB added to the ricotta!) i miss that.. i'll have to whip me up some!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, BUT, neither Cool Whip nor Reddi Whip are put of a clean diet. And lately all of the diet and eating plan gurus recommend clean eating. Even Cathe Friedrich has stated that she tries to follow a clean diet. Sorry, guys. :(

Oops, editing to say I apologize for having this follow the ricotta cheese dessert ideas, which of course ARE clean eating.

Yes, you're probably right. However, when faced with everyday life and the REAL evilness of desserts, I believe that Cool Whip and/or Reddi Whip would be a better choice. For instance, my husband's birthday was Tuesday. There has been birthday cake and ice cream in the house all week and I haven't eaten one piece of it, all because of Cool Whip! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.