Slow and Heavy or Cross trainers?? Which ones??

RWattier

Cathlete
Hi - I just ordered the Intensity Series and cannot wait to get them. I plan on using that series for 12 weeks and then alternating with something else. Would a Slow and Heavy series rotation be effective after doing the Intensity or would the Cross train series be better?? I can only afford one or the other in the next few months and know that its a good idea to switch it up, but which series have given people better results? I am looking to get the very lean cut look in the arms and defintion in my abs. I am a pilates instructor and though my core is strong, I just don't see the definition. I only need to lose about eight to ten pounds, and that will come from better eating habits, as mine are better than last year but still need improvement :(

Anyway, and comments on Crosstrainers vs. the Slow and Heavy would be great! Thanks -

Nebraska
RWattier

Slow and Heavy is very effective, but it's sometimes tough to stay focussed on it. The count is very slow (2 up, 6 down, or visa versa, I forget). I can usually only use them in a rotation for two or three weeks. Plus, you don't get any cardio with these, so you'd have to mix it in from somewhere else. The CTX series is one of my favorites. You get tons of great cardio, which are short as produced, but can be mixed in ways to make them longer. With the DVD you get CTX upper, which about an hour long endurance weight training workout. You also get Leaner Legs which is a great lower body workout. I vote for CTX. (But, on the other hand, most of the weight workouts in the Intesity Series lean towards endurance, so perhaps a strength workout like S & H would be good).

Apparently I am not much help. I still think I'd get CTX and follow up with S & H later.

Shelbygirl

I completely agree...CTX is so much fun. I return to those over and over. I've often thought that considering how many plays I get out of those DVD's, they were really worth their cost.
Meredith

I would definitely go for the Slow & Heavy series. This is my favorite muscle building workout. Although for abs neither of these series use resistance so I doubt you will attain a lot of ab definition. I hold a dumbell on my chest while doing most of my ab workouts with Cathe. It does not take a lot of ab work to gain definition if you use resistance.
Diane Sue

I got better muscle definition using CTX because I also burned a lot of calories doing CTX cardio 5 days a week. I didn't do much cardio during my S&H rotation because I didn't have the time. So with S&H I bulked up. I'm not one to put on muscle to begin with, but I was shocked when I saw photos of myself taken during the end of a S&H rotation because my arms looked like they belonged on the cover of a M&F magazine! And that wasn't the look I was trying to achieve. If you want the long, lean look of a pilates instructor, I'd go with CTX!

Thanks for all of your responses! I think I will go with CTX when the time comes - it sounds like an all around great rotation, plus I need to get in cardio or else I tend to gain weight! Ugg - cardio is a must. I might try the slow and heavy at a different time because it sounds great for strength building, but I tend to bulk very easily - so CTX sounds perfect :) I have read so much about Leaner Legs that I am almost ready to order it by itself, but will wait and order the whole series in a few months!

Thanks for all your input - it really helps me out alot!

Nebraska
RWattier :)

I was following the January rotation, but just got my CTX series. Being the child that I am, I just had to try one. I did step and intervals yesterday, and today 10.10.10. I love them!! I prefer to workout in the morning because there are too many things that come up later in the day to conflict. These are just the right length of time (as it is I get up at 5 am.to be out the door by 7:15) and intense enough to feel I got a great workout!! I do not have Slow & Heavy so I can't comment on those. I just love CTX!!

Sharron

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.