seeking reviews of PLB

WRITER

Cathlete
Here I am again, seeking more reviews! I just noticed that PLB has 5 sets of leg presses -- and I love leg presses. Is that 5 sets of two, or just five sets of one? For those who like this workout, what do you like best about it? For those who have it but don't reach for it, why? What is the fun factor? Dread factor? Thanks.

I like it, but I dont' think it's as effective as PS Legs and Leaner Legs, or Legs and Glutes.

It has 5 sets of leg press, each leg is done in one set, so really, they're 10 "sets".

This is the only workout of Cathe's where her weights were absurdly light for me. I am not a super-strong monster, but I need to go up 15-20 pounds above Cathe to get any tiredness out of this one.

I like it, and the ball work is tough.

It's fun, it's a good workout, in fact I'm doing it tomorrow, but if I really want to wear myself out and get sore, it isn't the one I choose.

I love PLB and I do also have to up the weights, but this is the workout that makes me sore the next day and sometimes into the day after that. LL hurts while I'm doing it but no soreness. I find PS challenging also, but PLB works my hams unlike any other lower body workout I've experienced. The stability ball work is really tough. L&G is easier in my opinion but it is hard to compare as they are two completely different lower body workouts. I like them all for variety. I like L&G for the different types/variety of moves and I use lighter weights for this one and I like PLB for the 5 sets of each standard move where I can focus on upping the weight as needed. Anyway, hope that helps a little bit.
Angela:7

I like this one but don't grab it as much as the others because it doesn't exhaust my legs like the high rep workouts do. A no brainer would be to "up" the weights but I can't get the higher weight onto my shoulders. Right now, I use 30lbs, 40lbs and 50lbs for each move. 50lbs is the most I can get on my shoulders. I tried getting 2 30 pound dumbells up there but each one requires two hands to get it up there. Once one is up, I only have one hand left!

About the leg presses...she does one round on each leg, ups the weight and does a second round on each leg, ups the weight and does another round on each leg, lowers the weight...etc. So total, 5 sets.

PLB is one of my very favorite of Cathe's strength workouts, I did it yesterday. The legs presses I did like this:

12 reps each side at 40lbs
10 reps each side at 45lbs
8 reps each side at 50lbs
10 reps each side at 45lbs
12 reps each side at 40lbs

All the exercises are done in this pyramiding manner and I think it is a very highly effective way to train. I have most of Cathes workouts and I think most of them are fun. The only one I might dread is S&H....:)...Carole

WoW! I cannot imagine holding that much weight in dumbells on my shoulders ..... I don't have a barbell yet - would you recommend buying one for PLB? Can I get away with dumbbells for now?

Yes, you can use dumbbells...I have before but I do prefer a barbell. I think if you stick with weight work a barbell is a very good investment...:)...Carole

Geez, I never really counted the sets. That's one reason I workout with Cathe, so I don't have to count! It is really fun, though. I like PLB a lot. My favorite part is the floor work with the stability ball. Can't think of anything I dread about it. The changing of the plates is probably the thing I like least, but that doesn't even bother me now that I've got the rhythm down.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.