S&H vs. Power Hour and soreness....or lack of!

kathryn

Cathlete
Two days ago, I did a full-body routine using exercises from the Slow and Heavy series. I felt like I was working to my limit (shaking on the last reps) and really got in a good workout. The thing is, whenever I do Slow and Heavy, I'm not sore the next day or two, the way I am after I do Power Hour. I'm sure the 1-minute rest between sets and stretching helps, but I would expect SOME residual soreness from the workout. I like having "sore to the touch" glutes and chest (especiallY)the day after a workout...it makes me feel like I'm going to get results. Anyone else have this happen?

I'm the opposite!

I never get sore from Power Hour or any other endurance workouts, but my upper body gets incredibly sore from S&H chest/back. I feel like I'm working hard with both types of workouts, but I really feel the S&H workout the next couple of days. I also don't get sore with the other S&H workouts - triceps/biceps or legs/shoulders.
Erica

Hi Kathryn!

I had the same experience as you - Power Hour really makes me sore - after finishing a four week S&H, I was amazed at my total lack of soreness. HOwever, I did amazingly increase my weight significantly every week with this workout, so I am sure that it is effective, whereas with Power Hour, I just haven't been able to make many changes. One theory is that with Power Hour being more of an endurance workout, there is more lactic acid buildup in the muscles, which is what causes soreness, whereas with the S&H workout, Cathe gives us a long rest between sets, which allows us to continue to lift heavy, and to prevent so much buildup of lactic acid. Just a thought. If you're looking for real strength gains, keep with S&H - they are both GREAT workouts!

Cheers!
Colia

RE: Hi Kathryn!

Hi. I also have the same experience. Cathe posted something answering this question within the last week. She said that because of the longer rests and the stretching between sets, the lactic acid didn't build up, but this didn't mean that the exercises were not effective. I wish I could find her answer for you, but I just wanted to assure you that she did have an explanation for it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.