Questions about Upper Body work from BM2

workout junkie

Cathlete
Hi everyone,

Just wondering who likes the UB work from BM2 and how do you incorporate it? Meaning, do you do it as part of the whole BM2 workout? Do you just do the upper body part for an UB workout day? Do you do it as is or double or what?

I admit I'm not big on stepping so I've hardly used the first two sections of this DVD, but I love the UB and abs. Just did them the other night and I'm feeling it today, esp. in the middle of my back, in a good way.

However, I feel like just once is not enough and I don't like the layout of the Double UB premix. Here's what I did: I did the back, chest and shoulder portions, then repeated. Then I did the biceps/triceps portions and repeated those too.

I've also done it another way, did back & chest, repeated those. Then shoulders, bis and tris, repeat.

Any thoughts or opinions on what I did or what you do?

It's been a long time since I did this workout but when I did do it, I repeated the sections as well. I do not step much either so I've never done it as is. Do you have 4DS? That is a good one to put together with shorter workouts like BM2. You can also do the up or down portions of PUB as a supplement.

Thanks for your input meowracer!

I do have 4DS and am anxious to use it, however, I was just getting back into the groove of working out, so I was working my way up to doing that series.

I've been trying to use my oldies but goodies (Power Hour, MIS), as well as PUB and BM2 upper body to get me feeling somewhat strong again before I tackle 4DS.

I like your idea of using BM2 or PUB up or down as a supplement to 4DS too, hadn't thought of that.

Thanks for the ideas!

Glad to help :) 4DS is a good one - the weight work really isn't bad. Break open that set and try it!! :p I got really frustrated with the step part when I first got it but the weight work is short and effective. I'm just one who prefers machines to DVDs, in general, for cardio.

I've tried 4DS, but it's been awhile since I've used it. Last year maybe? But I never used it long enough to get into it, something came up and interrupted my workout routine. Then got in a rut for awhile.

I'm anxious to try it again though b/c I love that style of weight work. I did try the step portions, ugh. Too frustrating for me! I used my treadmill instead. I remember liking the kickbox and bootcamp sections though.

I'm the same way about cardio, generally prefer machines (though I do enjoy kickboxing). I love my treadmill and want an elliptical too.

So, since we're talking about 4DS, did you use it pretty much as is? Did you do the cardio before the strength segments or switch it around? IIRC, I think I sometimes did the cardio after. And sometimes I didn't do cardio at all. I just did weights one day, cardio the next.

Just curious how you used it. Looking for ideas for when I do it again. Thanks so much!

I was so excited to get 4DS after hearing all of the hype about it when I first joined the boards. Well, I hated it b/c of the step portions. I was screaming at the TV!! :rolleyes: I put it away and came back and it was a little better and then after a third try, even better. Still, though, I usually just do the weight work. I'm like you - I do like the KBxing and the boot camp portions though. When I did the full set, I did cardio and strength on the same day am I'm sure in the order they are in on the DVD. I just never feel like it is enough, for some reason, even though lots of people got great results. I'm glad to have it though b/c the weight work is great to use as a supplement or if you are short on time.

I doubled the BM2 Upper Body segments as well. I only did it twice, and it's been awhile, but I remember thinking it was tougher than I anticipated.

When I did the 4DS series exclusively, I did weights first, then cardio. Now that I'm doing STS, I just use the cardio and abs.

That we can play around with order and premixes is what I love so much about Cathe's DVDs.

Meow - LOL at screaming at the tv! I was trippin' over my step and cussin' up a storm when I tried to do the step portions! Thanks again for your input!

Lori - BM2 UB twice is tougher than expected! It starts out kind of easy with back (which is ironic since my back is what's feeling it most), then gets hard, for me anyway.

Thanks for sharing what you did w/4DS. I usually like to do weights before cardio, so that's what I'll do. The premixes, chaptering, etc. are great - make the workouts very versatile. I have yet to get STS, but know I'll cave eventually. :)

When I had just got body max 2, i did cardio and abs, and then weights another day. But now, I do the whole dvd all the way through. I then use the upper body on cardio days to just strengthen my biceps and triiceps and shoulders, which are my weakest points. I love this dvd, but I agree about the upper body mix. I like your ideas :)

I pair BM2 upper body work with BM upper body work. They are similar in nature and time so it makes a good one hour workout.

I have to say BM2 is my LEAST favorite of all Cathe's wo. I know this will be unpopular, but that's my opinion. I, however, love 4DS. I know the step is hard at first, but it's lots of fun once you get it figured out. Plus the kb and bc are great. My preference is to do one of the cardios (half hour) then switch to either Muscle Endurance, Muscle Max, or Power Hour for a full body wo. I skip the cool down on 4ds and the warm up on the weight segment to save time (you don't need the cool down or the warm up when you do them together). Boy am I DONE when I finish that combo! Just a suggestion. . .

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.