A question from the UK

TraceyM

Am I the first Brit to post on here?
I am just waiting for my first Cathe video - Bodymax. I usually lift weights and run or use CV equp in the gym but am not used to step. From the descriptions it doesn't sound too complicated - hope not I have 2 left feet!! I Will be ordering more video,s I'm sure, from the sound of everyone on here but am struggling to choose. I have been using Cory Everson (Get Hard Arms etc) but find the lifting sometimes a bit fast - so to my question - would I prefer Pure Strength or Slow & Heavy? Pure Strength seems preferable to me as long as the lifting isn't too fast???? Hope someone can help me out - thanks.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Oct-11-01 AT 01:12PM (Est)[/font][p]Hi Tracey--
Bodymax is a great video, but let me caution you about a few things if it's your first Cathe video. The stepping portion is fast-paced, and Cathe doesn't break it down too much, so it may take a few tries to get it. I speak from experience on this one. Bodymax was the first Cathe video I tried and I broke the remote control for my VCR when I threw it at the TV in frustration. (Sorry, Cathe, but it's true!) After my hissy fit, I eventually made myself take the time to learn the choreography, and now I'm rather ashamed of myself when I remember that little incident. So be prepared that it may take a few trial runs to learn the step portion. Once you get it down, it's a great workout.

The other caution is that Bodymax is an endurance workout, so the strength portions do move quickly. I don't think the pace is any faster than Cory's Get Hard video, but it's not much slower. This is not the workout you do when you're looking to build strength.

Pure Strength and Slow & Heavy are both excellent series, and if you have to pick one over the other, I'd suggest Pure Strength. Cathe has recommended that you only use Slow & Heavy for short periods because the slow method requires a lot of concentration. Pure Strength is something that you can do for years and you'll never get tired of it. With a few exceptions, the pace is moderate so you can use heavier weights. Cathe gives excellent form pointers throughout, the music is good, and there are plenty of stretch breaks.

Good luck and happy shopping!

Thanks for your pointers on Bodymax - I'll be prepared! I did want an endurance video but will order Pure Strength for when I'm ready to change. I can't wait for my vid to come. It's been great since I bought the VCR that plays your videos - it's such a limited market here but now I'm actually motivated to get up in the mornings. Only problem is I've become a video maniac and can't stop ordering them!!! I've been using the Firm but don't think I can stand much more of their instructors!

Thanks again for your advice.

Also a UK-based Cathe fan

Hi Tracey,

You are not the only UK-based Cathe fan - I live in London and there's another girl who posts from Newcastle.

Cathe's tapes are exceptionally good - I have her PS series, SH series (superb), Power Hour and Rhythmic Step - I'm not a step fan so haven't tried that last one. Her cueing and form are excellent and you will GET RESULTS !!

Good luck !

RE: Also a UK-based Cathe fan

Hi Fitnik - I am visiting family and friends in England / Ireland in December and would LOVE to get a kickbox class in while in the London area. Any suggestions of clubs? I'll be in the Holland Park Area - but I'm happy to travel to another area if necessary. I just think it would be kinda fun to experience a kickbox class in U.K. (not that it would be all that diff... but..)

If I were you I'd start out with the Pure Strength series, the Slow and Heavy isnt something you want to do for weeks on end. As far as Body Max goes, I had been stepping for years and still had to rewind the cardio portion of this tape many many times before I really got all the moves, but it was definitely worth it....so dont be quick to be discouraged if you find that initially you feel like you have three left feet instead of two.

:) Stacy

Hi Fitnik

Thanks for your comments. Where do you order your videos from? In the past I've ordered from Amazon and the videos have come from Germany so no tax to pay. But as they don't have Cathe videos I've ordered from G & R, it was a bit cheaper than here and the postage was cheaper too. But am wondering if there will be tax to pay this time?

It hasn't come yet - I really wanted it for the weekend so I'd have plenty of time to start learning the moves!

Have a good weekend.

Tracey

Thanks Stacy. I'm ordering the PS series VERY SOON!

Yes, I was born with three left feet so I'll have to be very very patient I guess!!!!

Have a good weekend.

Tracey

Hello Tracey.

I am also a Tracy (different spelling!). I live in Newcastle and am also a Cathe fan and Bodymax is one of my favorites!

The stepping portion is quite fast paced but if you watch the video a few times through before your first try it helps a great deal. I also thought that I had two left feet, but Cathe's cuing is so good, I find her quite easy to follow - it also helps to have your step at a lower height than usual until you get the moves.

You have been given good advice re Cathe's weight tapes so I'd just like to add that, if you decide you're a stepping fan, Interval Max and Max Intensity Cardio are both excellent workouts that compliment Bodymax well.

I would be interested to know if you have to pay any C.O.D. when your tape arrives from G and R. I order my Cathe tapes direct from this site using the quantity discount and had to pay 24pounds when they arrived. It is well worth it if you're ordering lots of videoes but I would like to have the option of buying just a couple at a time if the shipping was cheaper (Plus my DH wouldn't go in to shock quite as much :) )

It is great to "meet" another UK fitness fan - do tell us a little more about yourself. I am sure you will love working out with Cathe!

Tracy.

Hi Tracy, nice to hear from you.

I live near Brighton, not as close to the sea as I'd like. I love exercise - even more since I started using American videos.

Thanks for your comments about the videos. I 'practised' Bodymax at the weekend. It took me an hour to learn the first twenty minutes! It certainly is fast!! I haven't done any step for years so I did find it quite difficult to follow. I was thinking of going to a few step classes - might help? I did love it though - once I found the right spot int he room so I could get round the step and jump without hitting the light fixture!!! I couldn't get those figure eights!! I love getting up early to do my exercise and was intending to do the upper body section this morning. However, I couldn't quite keep my eyes open when my alarm went off!! Did a short yoga session instead. Tomorrow!

I had to pay about £6.50 on delivery of 2 videos. But the postage was about £10 I think. They took just over a week to arrive. It's a shame Amazon don't sell Cathe videos as theirs seem to come from Germany so no tax to pay.

I'm going to post a question to Cathe about marketing her vids in the UK.

I'm thinking about buying the Pure Strength series plus MIS on the buy 4 get one free offer and have Interval Max as the freebie. That cost seems to work out well against G & R.

Thanks again.

Tracey

MasonK/Tracey

Hi guys,

Sorry for the delay in responding !

MasonK - I never go to a gym (we have a multigym and elliptical trainer as well as weights etc.. at home) so can't really advise about specific clubs for Kickboxing - but there are some large chains of gyms here in London notably Cannons, LA Fitness etcc.. and you'll see them all over London. They all do really good kickboxing classes according to my sister, who goes to a gym in Clapham (South London) - Holmes Place I think.

Tracey - I also order from Amazon. Yes, you will have tax to pay for Cathe's videos but worth every penny ! I have also ordered from cksales in Canada - I do FIRM workouts along with Cathe's and they had a sale recently - some really good deals to be grabbed there ! I think the websites www.cksales.com. I've never tried G and R.

I also love to workout. I typically, at the moment, do 3 days in a row then have one rest day. When I did 6 days in a row then had 1/2 rest days, I was forever getting colds, feeling tired etc.. This revised rotation works much better for me. On the 3 days I'll do Cardio (spinning on my elliptical trainer - awesome), a strength workout
(eg a FIRM tape or Power Hour) then a Circuit workout (Karen Voight's new one, Cardio Strength is excellent). If I feel I needmore muscle I throw in a PS tape or SH tape - I love Cathe and think she's great !

Anyway, I'm rambling now - but do email me direct at [email protected] if you would prefer.

Fitnikxx

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.