Question for Aquajock

KZN

Hi - in your "IMAX vs Cardio Kicks" thread you said you can do all of the IMAX intervals with no modifications. If you don't mind my asking, how long did it take you to do that? I just started doing IMAX about a month ago, once a week usually, and I am having a really tough time with some of the intervals (especially 2,4, and 8!!). So I would love to get some tips from you if you happen to have any. Thanks!!

Hi, KZN! I started doing the I-Max tape last October, and it almost murdered me the first time! It took me about 3 weeks of doing it 2X per week to get through all the intervals with no modifications; in addition to I-Max, I started doing weighted squat, lunge and hamstring work four about 10 minutes after the I-Max workout, gradually increasing those weight loads as I felt comfortable, and I think that helps. Also, because the choreography is very basic in the step interstices, I started jazzing those, substituting "Power-3's" and/or "Power-7's" in those portions that have repeaters.

I'm proud to say that, these days I am able to extend out ALL of the intervals, including the monster intervals, for 8-16 reps each, even interval #10, The Doom Interval. For me, interval #2 is the harded, half-time straight-line vertical jumps, because that's the first real extended plyometric segment and my legs really aren't on the necessary fire yet.

The only tip I have for you is: KEEP DOING IT FAITHFULLY AND CONSISTENTLY, and keep up with your progressive leg strengthening! Try to do a little bit more, either in the intervals OR in the step interstices, each time and you'd be amazed at your progress! It's a true training workout.

Good luck!

Annette

Thanks Annette!!! I will keep at it!! By the way, "Doom Interval" is a dead-on description of #10. When I get done with that (taking out about two of the jack - then - jump reps)I am so winded I feel like I am about to have a heart attack!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.