Pyramid Help!!!

I just received the Pyramid workouts and watched the upper body so far.

I see the opening move is flyes to bench press. The same weight is used for both exercises. My issue is that the top weight I can do with flyes is 12.5lbs and my top weight for press is 20lbs.

I am sure there are others that have a similar situation. What did you do?

Thanks!

Michelle

I always end up lower on flys.. U do what you can. I am same way as u i can do 20 on press flys is 12 for me so that is what id do for that workout regardless of what Cathe did. To me its got to,fit me i know i have to make it work to be doable but at same time push me.

Michelle:

if all you have done so far is watch the DVD, then you don't really know yet how to work this series of exercises. When you actually do it, you will figure it out.

The scenario you describe is the same for most people, so you are not atypical here.

Bear in mind that Pyramid upper is mostly an endurance workout, not strength orientated. You will probably find that the sheer number of reps conducted at such a swift pace does not allow for completing the workout with heavy weights without major adjustment. For example, there are people who do the pyramid up only or down only so that they can really use heavy weights, for which the pace does not allow. Or you might decide, as I often do, to ignore Cathe's speed and work at your own pace. Once you know that the basic formula is 12, 10, 8, 10, 12, you use Cathe's music and chat as "background" for your own thing and maintain your own concentration and pace, thus allowing you to heavy up and keep changing weight loads between the presses and the flyes to accommodate to your needs.

However, work through the DVD first and figure out what you feel like doing, and bear in mind, that ou can work it several different ways depending upon current goals, degree of lasting soreness from previous workout, etc.

If you do the workout as is, and you should for the first couple of times, so that you can learn it and get its feel, then start much lighter than you might expect because the reps start piling up and even though normally, you can complete 12 reps with 12.5 weights, you need to pace yourself in order to get through. if you max out too soon, you will reach muscle failure and only be half way through the workout, in which case the "endurance" aspect of this workout has been lost.

I tend not to use Pyramid upper very much because I have never managed to increase my weights for each exercise using this DVD: too many reps, pace is too fast. But on a day when I want an endurance workout and want to leave every upper body muscle fried in fairly quick succession, it fits the bill.

I find the lower body pyramid allows for much heavier lifting, so I find it more versatile.

Clare

Thank you for your replies. I plan on using the pyramid workouts in rotation with a split routine I am currently doing. I need variety and can't do the same workouts weeks on end.

This way, I figure I would get 2 days of heavy lifting with my split routine and 2 days endurance with the pyramid.

Would that be suitable?

Bumping so someone can answer u.. I have no idea.. Lol im just learning myself but hate to see a question go to far down cause afraid none will see it. Lo l good luck.

Thank you for your replies. I plan on using the pyramid workouts in rotation with a split routine I am currently doing. I need variety and can't do the same workouts weeks on end.

This way, I figure I would get 2 days of heavy lifting with my split routine and 2 days endurance with the pyramid.

Would that be suitable?

I am assuming that the 2 days of heavy lifting with the split routine means that each muscle group will be worked for strength gains with heavy weights once per week, yes? Then, you plan to also add 2 days working with the pyramids: do you mean 1 day for PLB and 1 day for PUB? Or do you plan to double them up and do each twice per week? The former is completely doable, the latter could be too much, depending on your fitness levels.

Whether this works for you or not will depend upon your time and energy levels and the degree of muscle soreness you experience initially. You want to make sure the muscles are rested before working them again.

Try for one day of heavy weights with lower body and one for upper with heavy, and another day (each) for endurance training with weights. This, combined with 2-3 days of cardio, could well be enough for a first few weeks. Then, if you want and can handle more, add it in.

Really, though, no-one can tell you what is right for you. You have to play with fitness to find your happy medium between too much and not enough to be healthy and in a good mood and making progress.

Clare

I am going to split it up into 4 days. One day rest between each workout.

What I am really looking into is reverse pyramid training. I haven't found any videos, Cathe or otherwise, for that type of routine.

Thanks, again, for the input. I am on an exercise break and want to see what routines I am going to give a shot when I go back in with a vengeance!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.