Pure Strength vs Supersets/Push Pull

elsie3

Cathlete
I don't have STS (sadly enough), but have all the other weight workouts besides Pure Strength and Supersets/Push Pull. I know nothing can replicate STS, but I'm looking to build strength. It sounds like PS is worth getting. Would SS/PP do anything for me if I used heavier weights?

Comments?

TIA,

Elsie

I have PS on VHS, but rarely do them. I like the entire Body Blast series, so I like Supersets & PP. By themselves, they are both total body and shorter workouts. However, there are plenty of premixes including several upper body options where you repeat the sets. And yes, you can go heavier if you want to. BTW - you're not the only one, I don't have STS either, but I did order the STS cardio.

I have PS and PP/SS, as well as STS. I don't really use PS or PP/SS that much; I just prefer other ones that Cathe has done. Gym Styles is much more to my liking, for example.

I have all of Cathe's weight training workouts and I love all of them, but I have to say, PS is probably my least used of the bunch. It's a good workout but you'll need to heavy up on it. It's been awhile since I've done it, and IIRC there are a couple of exercises in this one that you won't see in any of the other workouts, like a T Bar row http://www.shapefit.com/middle-back-exercises-t-bar-rows.htm, so it's a fun workout for adding a bit of variety to your program.

I LOVE SS/PP and I would definitely get that one. I've read a lot of comments on the boards stating it's too easy but I disagree! This workout will be as tough as you make it ;). All you have to do is heavy up on it.

If you want to do an STS-like rotation, though, you could easily get by with what you have.

Your replies were very helpful--just the feedback I was looking for! I think I'll get PP/SS, as I've kind of always wanted it.

Thanks,

Elsie

I like them!

I really like Push/Pull and Supersets! Before I started STS they were a regular part of my rotation. They are good for those days when you want a total body workout but don't want to work any part too long or too hard. (And they're great for days when I overslept, because they're shorter than most Cathe workouts).

I've occasionally seen posts from people who don't care for the workouts, but I'll cast a vote in favor of them.

I just got PP/SS last week and did PP yesterday. I love it!!! I went as heavy as I could and I did have a great whole body workout. Lots of sweating! I love the variety of exercises included and didn't feel like I kept working the same part of my body on and on for ever. I really like the push and pull principles of working opposing muscle groups. I put ankle weights on for the legs raises (Cathe and the ladies don't use them but she suggests to use them if you want to) and that, the calf and tibialis (sp) exercises made the lower body nicely worked out. I had been wondering about getting these workouts because of some people's no so stellar reviews, but I wanted to add some shorter but intense weight training to my collection. I'm happy to say, I found them! :) I will be trying SS this week and feel I will be loving it too. Eventually I think I will get PS too, but I'm not quite into split workouts. We'll see.

I am so glad to hear the positive votes for P/P, I just ordered the Body Blast Series and I was worried about that DVD because I have read so many luke warm responses on it! I really wanted the Kick.Punch, & Crunch + Legs & Glutes, And the Step, Jump & Pump + Step Blast so I decided to get the set. Now I am excited for Supersets + Push Pull. Sounds like the trick is to go heavy on them. I like the sound of shorter full body day too! I don't always have the time I want to spend on exercise so I do what I can...

I love SS and PP. I have been doing these for years. I never get tired of them. I really like the music also. Good choice! Cheryl.

I agree with others that PP/SS really is a sleeper video for Cathe. The workouts, if you lift as heavy as you can, are fantastic. And there are LOTS of premixes! You'll enjoy them, I'm sure!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.