PS or S&H

trixie108

Cathlete
So I just got a $25 gift certificate for Amazon.com, and (of course) I'm getting a new Cathe DVD. But I'm torn right now between Pure Strength and Slow & Heavy. Any thoughts/opinions/suggestions on which one to get?? I already have all of the Gym Style DVDs if that helps...

I'm pretty hooked on the Pure Strength series, so I'm a bit biased, since I've never tried the Slow and Heavy series. I have seen the latter, though, and it seemed thorough enough, although I tend to favor the Old School.

I really do like both workouts. I think that I got the most visible results with Pure Strength though. S&H is really a change and plateau buster. Pure strength is pretty basic as S&H it is.They both do lunges, squats plie squats. PS does some leg press moves. But PS is 12-16 reps. I got some really great definition with this workout and increased the weight load many times:)

Last edited:
Since you already have the Gym Styles, I would go for Slow & Heavy. Gym Styles is more of an updated version of Pure Strength. From what I remember, most of Pure Strength is 10 reps (which was actually a perfect rep range for me). Gym Styles was mainly 12 reps. Slow & Heavy is only 8 reps and includes much more rest time between sets. Cathe also gives a lot of form pointers in S&H. S&H seems to be Cathe's only true muscle-building DVD (aside from STS Meso 3 which I don't have). I also liked the ab workout from Triceps & Biceps (S&H) better than the PS ab workout which has mainly crunches.

Marcy

I simply love S&H

Trixie(Nicole):
I am in the midst of completing S&H, in preparation for starting STS -- and I simply love, love S&H! It's slow, patient, relaxing -- and as is said on this thread, the cueing and advice is superb all the way trhough. Plus, on my aerobics days, I sneak in one 7-8 minute S&H exercize at the end of my session as a special treat.
-- David

I have PS, S&H, and the GS dvds. Between PS and S&H, I prefer S&H. This month I've been concentrating on the GS dvds for my weight work, next month I'm going back to S&H. Haven't done those in a few months.
~michelle

I like PS better. However, since you've already have GS, I would get S&H. I always see GS is a re-make of PS. S&H is very different than any other workouts out there. The reason I don't like it is the long rest time... but you need to try it yourself. A lot of people get results with it.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.