PS- Once or Twice/Week?

Jcrew3082

Cathlete
Hi!

Thanks for everyone's recommendations about PS. I did the Chest, Shoulders, Triceps portion today, and I am wondering if I should do each of the 3 portions (CST, BBA, LA) once or twice per week. My goal is muscle definition and fat loss. Should I start with once and move to twice as I get stronger, stick with once for a few months, or twice for a few months? I know that after 2 or 3 months I'll need to introduce Pyramids or Slow & Heavy to change things up.

Also, when I do push ups and some other chest exercises, I seem to feel them more in my biceps and front of my arm than in the chest. Is this normal, or am I using bad form?

Thanks everyone!

Cathe's June rotation includes the PS workouts. You could sub PS workouts for S&H in the rotation. It was a real muscle builder.

Probably a better rotation is one Cathe suggested to Bobbi a few years ago. Do an advanced search for "Rotation question: Should I?" on the Ask Cathe forum. Cathe suggested using PS once a week for 8 to 12 weeks then has some suggestions for moving on.

I really have to focus during chest work to keep most of the work in my chest. Lots of other muscles want to pitch in especially if I go heavier. Use the warm-up set of chest presses in PS with the lighter weight to really zero in on your chest. I bet others will have some tips too.

Debra

One of our resident fitness experts on the forum once suggested to me to work each body part twice a week - once heavy/strength and once light/endurance. Following this plan, I would use PS, S&H or PUB/PLB for heavy and CTX UB/LL, ME or PH for light. This approach works both slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers and the endurance work helps burn fat.

HTH,

Angela

I find PS tricky to get in twice. At heavy weights, repeating can make me feel like I'm not letting my muscles recover fully. It can take more than 48 hours if I burn them out. But, since there are 7 days in a week it certainly can be done. I just wouldn't do it for consecutive weeks and if, after the first time, you feel fried or tired I think subbing a endurance workout is a great idea! I feel the same way about Slow & Heavy. But the Pyramids lend themselves nicely to twice a week, beg to be done twice a week, in fact, LOL!
Bobbi "Chick's rule!" http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif

I recommend doing PS each once a week, as heavy as you can go, then do a full body workout on another day.

For example, something like this: Monday: PS legs, Tuesday: cardio; Wednesday: Ps (whaever the upper body split is 1); Thursday: cardio: Friday: PS (upper body 2); Saturday: off; Sunday: Full body weight workout. Then the next week, start the PS series on Tuesday, after taking a cardio or off day Monday.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.