power hour...what's it like?

Lil

well i'm new to the site but not to cathe's videos and i was just wondering if any of you have tried the new power hour workout and if so, what did you think? i've got a lot of the Firm videos, but i'm starting to feel like cathe works me harder. is power hour comparable to any of the Firm tapes, or is a completely different (and much more intense) workout? is there any cadio? i'm looking for something to break my plateau and was thinking that maybe this tape could do it for me. ANY thoughts about this tape or any other recommendations would be VERY appreciated! thanks!

Hi Lil. I just did Power Hour last night for the first time, and I loved it. It is also my first Cathe tape. I, too, do the Firm tapes regularly. Power Hour has (I think) 10 songs and with each song you focus on one muscle group at a time. There is no cardio, it is all strength. I usually do the Firm's Super Sculpting tape once a week, but because of Power Hour's format I found I worked harder (I am really feeling it today!). I think Cathe spends more time focusing on each muscle group. With Super Sculpting I find the sets are rather quick.

Here is a link for some reviews at Video Fitness. http://www.videofitness.com/reviews/friedph.asp

I hope this is of some help to you. I definitely recommend getting Power Hour. I'm planning to do it twice a week and incorporate some of my Firms. And I am already looking foward to getting the PS series, then the S&H series, then .........

I also love Power Hour (and I do a lot of the Firm). I think Power Hour is definitely superior as far as muscle endurance.

I just did Power Hour for the first time. It's my first Cathe workout; I've been doing the Firm for almost 10 years, and this is SERIOUS weight training. I felt like it was the type of workout you'd pay a trainer to give you. Slow and intense sets that totally exhaust each muscle group. I'm already sore, and I just did it an hour ago.

Hi Actionwoman! Just to clarify as to not confuse Lil, it sounds like you are commenting on the Slow Heavy workouts and not Power Hour. I could be wrong since we do have some slow movements in Power Hour but based on your description, it sounds more like slow & heavy. In any case, I am so very please to hear that you are enoying the tapes and thank you for your sincere comments :)!

thank you all for answering my post! i've decided i definitely need to order power hour and will do so today! i can't wait to give it a try! thanks again!

Cathe,

I actually was talking about Power Hour - I just received my DVD last night, and this was my very first Cathe workout. I am used to the faster pace and lighter weights of the Firm workouts, so Power Hour did indeed feel slow and heavy to me! Looking forward to trying the other two on the DVD as well as Mega Step Blast and Step Heat. I'm afraid I'm going to become addicted to your workouts! Looking forward to great results, though. My triceps are really sore today!

Amy

Hi,
So power hour is actually slow enough to go heavy? I am also used to doing firm workouts and I want to switch to doing heavier weights...but cathe has so many tapes and they all sound sooo good! But I am not so sure Firm level is equal to Cathe's! see her endurance weight lifting might already be heavy for someone who firms! Plus I dont want fast stuff like body pump! Too much squats too fast! Oh but her new tapes look so cool! I am torn between PH or S&H or her PS series and I cant get all of them!

Power hour heavy?

The reps are a good speed, but you wouldn't want to go heavy unless you're Wonderwoman! The emphasis in Power Hour is endurance, by doing many many repetitions for the same muscle group. For example, on squats, you do some reps that are two counts up/two counts down, some four up/four down, some two down/hold two/four up, some one down/three up, some three down/one up, etc. and are continuously squating for several minutes. The weight may seem light at first, but it'll get you in the end (especially when doing squats--ha!).

I loved it

finally got to do it today. I'd compare it to MIS--with some very new twists: the pauses to stop momentum and speed changes.
I used my 50# barbell at times--and at times my 5# weights!!!

This is one I'll have to figure out with a few tries. FUN!!
Really advanced; and I totally appreciate it. I can work with this one for awhile.

I counted

I counted how many squats we do in Power Hour, and it somewhere around 100! And that's not counting the plié squats! Funny how the rythym changes keep you from noticing, unless you REALLY want to know!

RE: I counted

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Sep-05-01 AT 06:35AM (Est)[/font][p]A hundred?! I dont want to squat a hundred times! OMG! You guys are Amazons ... Body pump has 100 squats too and I remember my upper thigh spasming before we get to 50. Are the reps slow enough?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.