Opinions on KickMax?

FitGirl-ATX

Cathlete
I used to own KickMax and actually sold it on eBay because I thought it wasn't challenging enough. However, I'm starting to wonder if I sold it prematurely. I see it's added into the STS cardio routine using some of the premixes. What are your thoughts on this DVD? Is it worth re-adding and giving it another go?

I sold it initially because I thought it moved kind of slowly and wasn't as energetic as some of Cathe's other workouts. I was bored during the main workout, even though I added my weighted gloves to up the intensity. If I can find it on eBay for a reasonable price, I might give it another try. But, I thought it would be worthwhile to get some opinions on the premixes and other thoughts on the DVD in general. I've heard the leg drills are pretty good on this one...

Thanks in advance,
FitGirl-ATX

IMHO...

Kick Max has the best warm up of any Cathe cardio-based workout.

The workout itself is definitely more drill-based than pure cardio, with the exception of the blast challenge, which I have to seriously modify, but the sweat flies off, nonetheless.

I have seen noticeable improvement from the leg drill portion.

Because the pace of the workout isn't too, too, intense, I am able to focus on form with Kick Max. Kick, Punch, and Crunch will always be my favorite Cathe kickbox, but Kick Max certainly has its place in my rotation.

I initially didn't like this one. Tried it once (didn't even do the leg conditionning drill segment), and sold it on Ebay.

I liked the long warm-up, the music, the look of it (esthetics is part of the experience for me), Cathe's form.
I didn't like the excessive "cheerleader jumps," the pivot moves (which for me added complexity while actually taking away intensity), or the too-short-for-my-tastes kickboxing section.
I'd been hoping for a more kickboxing-oriented style, like a KPC2, rather than so much 'other' stuff.

Then some months passed, and I found myself modifying other workouts (of all kinds) and it was during this time I gave myself 'permission' to modify workouts to fit me.

I've loved kickboxing since I started it years ago, and I was looking for a new KB workout. I thought to myself "if I can modify all these other workouts, why not KM?"

I found that just by removing most of the pivots, I could focus on form and intensity. And I took the plyo segment 1/2 to the rebounder.

I LOVE the warm-up and the music (though wish it were louder). Cathe's form is so improved from previous KB workouts (but don't watch Jai for anything but kicks). It's a fun, but still-too-short cardio workout. I know some people use it as an add-on, taking one of the segments (cardio, plyo or leg conditionning). I find the warm-up is nice and long (about 12 minutes), which makes it good as a warm-up to weight workouts, IMO. (In fact, I might just do that today before my CLX Push workout).

HTH!

I love Kickmax! Initially I thought it was an easier cardio workout and still do honestly but the blast challenge always gets me at the end. The extended warmup and drills are less intense then KPC. There's no dread factor at all with this workout and I actually prefer that the kicking and punching drills aren't as repetitive as KPC's which can drag on to me at times.

I often tack the blast challenge onto the end of other workouts. It's a good way to get that extra calorie burn in there if you're feeling like you need a bit more work that day.

I don't do KickMax very often otherwise, but after reading this thread, I may give it another chance!

I have to be the dissenter. I did this work out not too long ago as part of a rotation and I just don't care for it. It's boring and too long and just doesn't do it for me. But, everybody's different! Is it on Netflix? You could get it from there to see if you like it better now.

anne

I did the warm up and the kick/punch combo portion, I thought it was just ok, I was kind of bored, but have not tried all the portions yet. I agree pretty much with everything Kathryn said. The pivots were unnecessary for me and I took those out immediately. I tried to remind myself during those that other people like different things than me, and I don't have to do it that way. I too love KPC, so it's hard not to compare everything I do to KPC.

I started the leg conditioning and found that boring, but I really don't like that kind of stuff. So I'm still curious about the kb/bc challenge portion.

I started the leg conditioning and found that boring, but I really don't like that kind of stuff.

Me too! I hate the leg conditioning exercises! They are endless, boring, and I don't know how much good they really do, either. I feel like they're a waste of time and I'd much prefer longer (or more) kickbox routines instead.

I also hated the pivots until I moved and put in fitness flooring instead of carpet. That makes them a lot easier.

I kind of LIKE this workout! IN fact i did it this morning!!

As low impact the first part is, the blasts kicked my ASS! :eek:

And the leg drills always give me huge DOMS ! I think it's a great 2nd leg workout for the week.

I really want to like Kick Max, bec. I adore KPC and the CTX Kickboxing workout.

But.....for me, I felt that the long warmup and the routines at the first part of the workout were too slow and don't get my heart rate up very much. Then, the blasts, while they do get your HR up, are too high impact and not very "kickboxy". I like my arms and abs to feel a kickboxing workout and after I've done this one, they don't.

I also don't care much for the leg conditioning drills, although I bet if one stayed consistent with them, you would improve the height and form of your kicks.

With all the negative comments above, I do have to say, I like the music and Cathe looks absolutely fantastic in the workout!

Lynn M.

I've never seen any Cathe on

I have to be the dissenter. I did this work out not too long ago as part of a rotation and I just don't care for it. It's boring and too long and just doesn't do it for me. But, everybody's different! Is it on Netflix? You could get it from there to see if you like it better now.

anne

Netflix :( Bummer. I'm considering canceling my netflix and saving up for more Cathe.:D

I like KickMax, almost for all of the reasons the others don't like it. I can't do high-impact, so KickMax works for me in that regard. It's not a tough as KPC, but again, that works on days when you don't have that intensity in you. The intensity drills are mixed for me, as some of them are too high impact (a little too jumpy), but on the days when my knees don't bother me as much, I get a serious sweat going. And a lot are modifiable to a certain extent. The leg drills again, let me feel like I'm doing something even when I'm exhausted. The premixes are actually pretty good on this disc. Each one essentially takes out one of the three "segments" of the workout (one is kickboxing and legs drills; one is blasts and kickboxing; one is blasts and leg drills, etc). It isn't generally my first choice (I like the kickboxing on 4DS better even though it's shorter), but I also feel that it's definitely worth having in your collection for the variety and flexibility it offers.

I really did not like it do to the fact that I wanted it to be a Full blown Kickboxing workout. I recently sold mine on Ebay.

Thanks everyone for your feedback and opinions. Alot of what was said made me recall other aspects of the workout that just weren't for me. However, I think that it's beautifully produced, and Cathe & crew do look absolutely flawless in the hard core series. I think that I'll stick to my original decision, but might look for opportunities to trade or get it at a steal of a price in the future.

I appreciate the variety of the perspectives here, and the honesty with which the critiques were given. They were all very respectful and tasteful.

Thanks!
FitGirl-ATX

p.s. hope to meet some of you on the road trip :) i haven't been since 2005, and I hope to be one of the lucky 105 this year!!

I happen to like Kickmax, but I don't love it. My heart belongs to KPC.

As the others have stated, the routines are slow. When I do them I have my iPod on and I go much faster than she actually does and then I just incorporate more jumping jacks. I really like the drill part and the leg conditioning.

Also, on days when I'm feeling a little blah, I much rather do Kickmax than get on the treadmill. ;)

--Tara

I am very very surprised to hear that so many of you don't really like Kick Max. It's funny, I got it last week. I still haven't done it, it's in my schedule sunday.

I have KPC and I thought that Kick Max might be better since it's more recent. I LOVE KPC. I am disapointed to hear that it's not as intense. I've been wanting it since a while and always thought it's a good workout. First time I hear that it's not that intense. Anyhow, I will try and see.

I really like the bootcamp premix....this version is structured and feels more like KPC (understanding the cardio is less).
When I do the workout straight through, it feels slow and long....

I usually pop this in my luggage when I travel and have no access to weight equipment - leg drills keep my stamina up

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.