New & Need Opinion about Slow and Heavy Series

Timber99

Cathlete
Hey there! I am new her eand need your advice on the Slow and Heavy series. I am not new to weight work, but I am trying to use this series to build more muscle and heavy it my weights. I bought this series and id dht echest and back portion last night. I used the following for weights:

pullover chest presses - 15
chest flys - 15 firs set, then 10 (same on the incline)
chest presses - 15 (incline also)
deadlifts - 15

I did my push ups on the knees (have not worked up to the toes yet) and held the last sets as long as possible.

I don't really feel that sore today, but while I was doing these exercises, I was shaking and really pushing. Are these good weights to start at (for someone that has done weeight work before)? How sore should I expect to be after these workouts?

All info appreciated!

Hi,
You may want to search for recent responses to this question (I and several others asked the same question of Cathe a few weeks back).
Basically, Cathe's response was that the longer rests and stretches between sets in S& H causes less lactic acid build-up in muscles (vs. workouts using faster reps and lighter weights).
Since lactic acid is a main contributor to muscle soreness, many people will find they are not as sore after doing a slow & heavy workout.
Reading through the previous responses told us everyone does indeed respond differently to variations in workout design.
I found, though, that I was not as sore (sometimes not at all)after doing S&H vs. MIS/PH, even though I felt I had worked very hard.
Frustrating, interesting.... Still too soon for me to report results (midway through S& H rotation).
Part of me feels there's just no way I won't see/feel some results after lifting so heavy and with better form than I'm sure I would otherwise use.
Hopefully, with a little patience, this will work.
Good luck,
michele

Hi,
I am on my 4th week of S&H and I am really happy with this series! I still can't use very heavy weights like most of the people on this board but I am definitely making progress! Last night I pulled out my 10lb plates to make a heavier barbell ... it totalled 35 lbs ( this may not seem heavy for other people but I have never lifted that before...almost forgot I had the plates!) and it went well.
I have spent most of my time with FIRM videos and just this summer started trying Cathe's videos. It still amazes me what her workouts do for my body. The S&H in particular doesn't leave me sore, the legs portion doesn't make me scream like LL but during plies my legs shake so much it scares me...but the weight doesn't seem too bad...I added on Cardio kicks to the rotation and some of my cardio videos and in 3 weeks time all my previous workouts no longer leave me exhausted. I did volume 1 and it was a breeze...I went spinning ( haven't gone in 6 months) and my endurance was still level with the class and I could hill climb with heavy resistance all the way!
I love this series...it's working because even if I dont feel sore I sleep real good and my apetite is up and my workouts are good.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.