New to Kickboxing

MelanieC

Cathlete
I'm excited about Cathe's upcoming 4-day split DVDs, but I noticed that one of the workouts is kickboxing, and I have never done kickboxing. I love intense workouts, and I quickly catch on to Cathe's routines. I'm not sure if I'd be able to master the technique of kickboxing in an advanced routine. Is the technique difficult to master? Should I start off with a beginners kickboxing routine?

Thanks.

Melanie

I really enjoy Kick Max, which has low impact premixes. This way you will be able learn the workout before adding intensity. Don't fret you'll be a kickboxer in a few workouts.

Cathe's Kick, Punch & Crunch (KPC) is also a good intense workout that you can learn from. It also has Legs & Glutes on the dvd if you're interested in a good leg routine that comes in under an hour. (I like KPC more than KM). It's alotta fun! Deb

The wonderful thing about kickboxing is that once you do get the hang of the punches you feel so powerful and strong! I teach kickboxing at my school and at a gym by my house and find that for women it is especially hard to throw a punch and have it mean something. For instance instead of just throwing your arm out there it really helps to visualize something in front of your face that way you will strike then pull the arm right back in and protect your side rather than let the arm hang out there.
One of the most important things when doing kickboxing is to always keep a soft joint. Although you want the punches to be strong you also don't want to lock out the joints this goes the same for when you are kicking as well.
And what I always tell my classes just because you are not hitting anything doesn't mean your punches can't mean anything!
Just pay attention to your body and the effort you are putting into the movements and pretty soon you will be a lean mean fighting machine.

Have a great time!
nkuangel

I highly recommend learning a bit of technique before jumping into an advanced KB workout. Something like Katalin Zamir's instructional video, Kathy Smith's Kickboxing workout (which teaches technique), or Powerstrike Millenium 3 (which teaches technique and builds up combos more gradually than other Powerstrike workouts).

It's important to be able to punch without locking your elbows (go to about 95 percent extension) and kick without locking knees, and to do a good chamber for kicks (bringing in a bent leg before kicking out with the lower leg).

Also, when doing punches, your whole body is involved, as the power comes off the pivoting foot through the leg, in through the core and up into the arms. When one is first learning KB, this coordination can feel very unnatural, and trying to do it at a faster speed (as I assume the newer KB workout may be) can lead to some knee torque because the movements aren't coordinated.

Also, once you do get Cathe's KB workout, follow Lorraine and Cathe for form (Jai punches too low, and has a strange 'frozen shoulder' type movement for hooks and uppecuts, unless her technique has improved since the last KB workout she was in).

>Cathe's Kick, Punch & Crunch (KPC) is also a good intense
>workout that you can learn from. It also has Legs & Glutes on
>the dvd if you're interested in a good leg routine that comes
>in under an hour. (I like KPC more than KM). It's alotta
>fun! Deb

I would add that on KPC Cathe does a lot of form pointers in the introductory bit. That would be very helpful if you're new to kickboxing.

***Lainie***

http://web.mac.com/lainiefig/iWeb/Site/Exercise/Exercise.html

"The worst loneliness is to not be comfortable with yourself." -- Mark Twain

I have to agree with Kathryn. I can't tell you how many people I have seen doing kickboxing at the gym, with no guidance whatsoever on technique. Kickboxing is a great workout, and lots of fun, but in my opinion, it is easy to injure yourself if you don't use proper technique.

Powerstrike Mil. 3 is a good one to learn technique. Other good videos for learning kickboxing technique are some of the tae bo workouts. You can try the Get Ripped Basic series to get you started. Once you learn proper technique, it will be soo much easier for you to pick up faster paced kickboxing workouts.

I can't wait for Cathe's new kickboxing workout.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.