New to Cathe-Questions about steps

tracymac

Cathlete
Hi,
I'm a dedicated Firm user and love it! I own all three systems and about 10 additional older Firm tapes. I've felt like I needed to step things up a bit and I've been watching Cathe on Fit TV and thought it would be a great challenge to try her DVD's - they definitely looked more intense than the Firm. So, I ordered IMAX 2. I previewed it once and tried it this morning. It looks like a geat workout and fun but I just can't get the steps. They are too complicated for me and I don't know the best way to learn them. I tried some of them over and over but just couldn't get it. I'm so discouraged that I don't even want to put the DVD in again. Can anyone offer any tips or maybe even suggestions for different Cathe workouts that have more basic steps. I have done lots of Step Aerobics over the years but I guess they've all been less complex.

I'm sorry to be so long but any and all advice is really appreciated!
Thanks!!

Hey Tracy,

Congrats on making your move to Cathe! You might want to try the Classics, Vol. 1 or my favorite, the Cardio Hits DVD. PowerMax, StepFit and StepWorks are all great workouts and a great introduction to Cathe's choreography. When I first tried these workouts, Cathe knocked me on my butt, literally.

One thing I found useful when initially learning Cathe's choreorgraphy would be to keep the remote in hand and concentrate on one section at a time. When I was first learning PowerMax, I started with the first section, rewinding when necessary, then upon completing the first section, I'd repeat it 2-3 more times until I felt relatively comfortable, then at my next workout, I'd move onto the next section using the same procedure. Once you start to get accustomed to Cathe's choreography, it gets easier, but ever more challenging :)

Good luck- hope this helps!

John

Hi Tracy, & welcome to Cathe's forum! John's idea is great & pretty much what I do myself if I'm learning something new. I used to preview the workouts several times both before & even in-between my attempts. Now that I'm used to her cardio, it's not nearly as hard anymore. I still preview at least once or twice, and I still have to rewind sometimes, but much improved.

Also, you could try learning the moves off the step...put down a (non-slip) mat or something if it would confuse you not to have a "pretend" step, otherwise just visualize where the step would be & do the workout on the floor. Sometimes it's easier to learn moves that way.

You could try using Basic Step for awhile. It really is basic, & doesn't have a lot of intensity, but once you learn the moves you can put intensity in by jumping or hopping some of the moves, etc. Otherwise I would recommend Step Jam, Step Heat, the wedding tape, Step Max...they're a little bit easier choreography-wise.

I hope you stick with it for awhile because I think you'll love it one day. Besides, we don't want to let you go now that we gotcha! }(

Ruth:)

I am new to Cathe and to step. The only step I have really done are the little fanny lifter sections of the firm's and that does not compare in choreography or intensity to Cathe so I know where you are coming from, Tracy!

I purchased Basic Step and Body Fusion. That is a great Cathe tape to start with for a beginner stepper! I also have Cardio hits and started workin' on the power max work out from there after I was pretty comfy with the Basic step and Body fusion moves. Some of power max is a little tricky but I'm catchin' on a lot faster than I thought I would.

I took the advice of starting to learn step on the floor, using a towel as my guide, when I got my first cathe tape. I did it twice on the floor and then moved to the step. I feel that it was much easier to learn that way coz you don't have to worry about tripping and falling over the step, etc. lol

Well, have fun with it and remember, you are not alone! There are a lot of us here who are still learning and we can be here to support one another when we are frustrated and ready to give up!:)

~Wendy~

http://www.bullmarketer.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/Sports/exercise/thumb_exercise15.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

Thank you to all who replied to my message - I will take each of your recommendations, try them out and I'm hopeful that I'll catch on soon! It's good to know that some of you felt the same way when you started as I do!

This morning as I was doing 2 of my Firm workouts from BSS3 I realized how easy they are after spending the weekend doing Imax2 trying to learn the steps. I know I'm ready for the intensity of Cathe it's just a matter of mastering those darn steps.

The ones that really get me are when she goes so far off and around the step. Anyway, thanks for all of the support and I will definitely be checking in here on the message boards for more tips and support!

Oh, and no,I'm not the same Tracy 'smokinbod' on the Firm boards.

Hi Tracy, I am also new to Cathe and her videos and the forum. I was asking the same question as you about easier step videos and ones using the barbell. I have the firm and can get through these easily, but was concerned about doing a step tape that has too many moves for my two left feet. I think the responses have been great and I plan on trying the basic step and maybe body fusion. We can learn together.
marsha:7

Hi Marsha, Thank you for your reply. I have to say, I've been really nervous all week about doing IMAX2 and Cardio and Weights (both are on my DVD). I'm doing the firm all week but will do Cathe on the weekend when I have more time. I plan on spending all day Saturday (if it takes that long) to learn this one so I can overcome my fear of the choreography. I still love the Firm but it seems so easy compared to Cathe and I really want the challenge. I hope I can learn with you!! I feel very klutzy right now... :)

Hello and welcome to this exciting place.

You WILL get the steps. I have no doubt. Pratice and patience is what you must have. I bought the Intensity series last summer. I was not able to master IMAX2 until my kids went back to school in August. After I had a few days alone in the house, just me and IMAX2, I got it. No problem. I just needed to get all the distractions around me gone.

Don't think you have to do every turn Cathe makes. If you need to, modify the turn so you are still facing the TV.

LOL! You will be a step genius before long!! :)

Hi Tracy,

Just checking on you this a.m.

I have been doing Cathe for years and have not had any difficulty as long as I watch once before I do a new workout. The Firm and Cathe have different styles, give yourself some time. If you like Cathe from what you have seen, your time will pay off. You have gotten some good advice already. Since your are doing a firm workout, why not tac on an interval of Imax2 at the end. Get comfortable with the workout a little at a time. After learning single intervals you can do 1/2 the workout at a time. Before you know it you'll be adding your own style or jumping just a bit higher. Remember, it is ok to modify at first and still get a good workout.

Even though I've never had a problem with Cathe, I have felt the same frustration with Christi Taylor. Couldn't do the dork dance with Kai in Vol 4 if my life depended on it. I can't leave out a few moves from Kirsten Kagen's first video. I guess we all can relate.

Welcome to the board,
jordan

Don't worry about doing the "around the worlds" and turning your back to the t.v.. Stay facing the t.v. and master the move before getting fancy.

I came straight from the Firm BSSI and BSSII right into the whole intensity series. During a time of day AFTER I had already worked out, I would practice the step portions of IMAXII and Cardio w/ Weights. I would watch, work on the move, rewind, pause, until I got it. Since I worked out earlier, I could care less if I broke a sweat because the goal was to "get it", not "work it". Work it after you get it.

Let me just add, once you get one of her routines, IMO, the rest of them are pretty easy to pick up on.

Don't get discouraged. We have all been there, hang in there and know you soon while be challenged beyond belief!

Hello everyone!!
I too am new to Cathe;actually I am new to the step! I've done nautilas workouts for 12 years. One day I happen to be surfing the channels and discovered Cathe. Talk about something looking fun! I was at Dick's sporting Goods the next day getting my step. Well, I was very relieved to read that I'm not the only one having a hard time with the routines.The advice that all you have posted is really encouraging. I haven't bought a dvd yet( I'm taping her shows off fit tv) but I plan on getting the Basic Step/Body Fusion. This sounds like a good place to start. I am so excited. I am so hooked on all this. Oh, some advice anyone? How many times a week do you do this. I still want to incorporate my nautilas work-out, but do not want to lose weight or muscle tone,by doing too much Cathe.Any advice would be great.Thanks again everyone :) :)

Hi Cookie, and welcome! I know you'll love it here.

Girlfriend, have you LOOKED at Cathe?? You will NEVER lose muscle tone by doing too much Cathe!;-)

I'll let the real experts here suggest some rotations incorporating your Nautilus work...not to worry, a lot of us throw other things into the mix.

Enjoy!
Ruth:) :)

Ruth,
Hi again and thanks so much for your response. I HAVE
looked at Cathe and oh my ,
I want a body just like that; and so does my husband:) :) !! She really looks awesome. I'm really having a hard time working my abs only because I've never done any other ab work other than the machines at the gym and the new gym I just joined(before I discovered Cathe) doesn't have any in yet,so I'm on the floor and my neck is killing me.}( In the tapes they make it look so easy.I'm trying to concentrate on using my ab muscles, but I don't have any (ha ha):) I thought about the ball but it looks like I might have the same problem on that. Is something that a person works up to?? I sure hope so cuz I really want a nice flat abs. Take care

Cookie

Just checking back to this board and there are even more of you sending me tips and support! I definitely feel more positive about mastering these steps now thanks to everyone's support. Tomorrow (Saturday) I will find out how I do - I have several hours in the morning dedicated to my work out so I know I'll get it! Thank you all very much - these are great boards!!!
~Tracy~

Good attitude Tracy...you'll definitely get it! But don't forget to have fun, that's important too.:+

Hi Cookie, when I first started ab work my neck hurt like crazy, and so did my lower back. I could only do a few...and everything was crunches back then...and my lack of strength in that area actually shocked me! Well, long story short...eventually the pain went away. Occasionally I will still feel it in my neck, but not much.

Do you have a step? Or a bench? I recommend starting out on an inclined bench or step, which makes it easier, for awhile. That helped me tremendously. (I used Karen Voight's ab workout in her Firm Arms & Abs tape.) I also think you should go with the ball if you can. You're working your core more, but at the same time it's much easier on the neck & back.

Whatever you do, go slow, modify...eventually you get stronger. Have fun!

Ruth:) :)

Hi,

Just in case this site wasn't posted above in any of the messeges.

http://www.turnstep.com/Moves/index.html

It's site that can help you understand the foot placement on the step. It's a good start, at least you may pick up on the basic step terminology. Some of it will be different from Cathe's step, but you'll get the basic idea.

Namita

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.