MMA Fusion--Should I?

Swimmer

Cathlete
I have all of Cathe's kickbox DVDs but this one. I've read the reviews and watched the clip from it, but I'm not sure it's for me.

If you have it, do you enjoy it? The combos seem a little more complex, but that might just be due to seeing only pieces of the workout. Also, some of the rolling type moves don't appeal to me.

I have this one and have attempted it a few times. It's not for me. It's low intermediate and choppy. I love pretty much everything Cathe - but not this one. sorry :(.

Thanks for the honest review. I think I'll pass on this one. I just received the new Susan Chung KB/Boxing release, so learning that one should keep me busy.

Hey Swimmer...let me know what you think of the Susan Chung kickbox wkout! I've been wanting a new kickbox wkout or 2. I've been busy and I admit a little fickle about what to get. Amy Bento gets decent reviews too. I don't want to throw money away, especially after the holidays.

Hey Swimmer...let me know what you think of the Susan Chung kickbox wkout! I've been wanting a new kickbox wkout or 2. I've been busy and I admit a little fickle about what to get. Amy Bento gets decent reviews too. I don't want to throw money away, especially after the holidays.

I gave the new Susan Chung (SWEAT, an apt title) a test run this morning. It's divided into three kickbox combos and three boxing sections, with a warm up, cool down, and very tough but fast-moving abs/core section. Equipment: optional weighted gloves or 1lb hand weights for KB & Boxing; 2 light (5 or 3 lb) dumbbells for the core/abs, and a mat. God love Susan, she's included a tall person doing lowing impact modifications, very visible (not back row), and that person is shown pretty consistently.

The kickbox sections are fun but I have to admit, they will take (me) some time to nail down. Susan doesn't always cue, so you have to pay attention and keep track of what move comes next. Interesting combos in both the kb and boxing sections, and the leg work is tough. The entire workout is great for full body toning, improve your coordination, and will get your HR up, particularly if you wear weighted gloves.

The boxing sections were my favorite. She does three different punching/boxing combos, followed by leg drills. This lets you really focus on punching or working your legs.

The ab section is killer and will improve your coordination. The premixes are great ,too, lots of options. Also, it's chaptered extensively, a feature I'm appreciating more and more.

I presently own/have done only Susan's first DVD (the one w/the shadow boxing), and I was impressed w/how more comfortable/at ease she is this go round than her first. Production/set has improved, too, as has the music. I found her cuing marvelous in the first release, not so much in this one (maybe because I was spoiled by the other DVD). Regardless, Sweat is a keeper. I was so impressed with this one that I've ordered her two other DVDs.

Last edited:
Hey Swimmer...thanks coming back to the forum with the info and for the great review! I think I'll get 1 or 2 of Susans dvd's. I just needed that extra push. So, do you have a lot of kickbox wkouts? Do you have Cathes? Last question.....what's your favorite? Thanks again!!!!

I have all of Cathe's KB workouts except MMA Fusion. My favorites (a virtual tie) Hard Strikes, MMA Boxing, and K,P, & J. :)

In addition to Susan Chung and Cathe, I have some Powerstrike DVDs. Those are good but I got burnt out on them and haven't done them in awhile. I loved the original two Powerstrike workouts (Ilaria and Patricia), but they never released those on DVDs.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.