Lunge impaired needs advice!

msbone

Hi, I call myself lunge impaired, but I'm thinking that as I continue to lose weight, lunges will be easier for me to master correctly. Since Cathe always tells you the correct form is keeping your knee at a 90 degree angle, and never letting it go over your foot, which mine does only every time I try to do them!
I've been compromising on MIS with squats. I switch up between standard squats and skiier squats during the portion Cathe and the crew are doing any lunges. Am I still working comparable muscle groups by doing this? If not, does anyone have any advice for an alternate exercise or modified lunge until I reach the ability to perform the lunge with correct form?
Thanks for any and all input! Anne

The floor work on Karen Voight's Great Weighted Workout leaves the fronts of my thighs in particular buring every time I do it. I can do lunges but sometimes they bother my knees, that's when I reach for this tape. I also have found that sometimes my form is better with lunges if I keep my front foot planted on top of my 6 inch step.

My two cents,

Stacy :)

Hi, Anne!

I would second the GWW option. The FIRM's floor section from The Hare (also sold by itself as Lie Down and Work Out and as another title that I forget) is also good. You could also do the hamstring floor exercises from Pure Strength Strong Legs and Abs. Other alternatives would include: in and out rolls on a stability ball, hamstring curls with ankle weights, donkey kicks or hamstring curls with tubing, etc.

If you keep trying the lunges, make sure you step far enough back to keep those knees at 90 degrees. Also, try substituting stationary lunges for any walking/forward lunges on MIS until you feel comfortable.

:) Gretchen

Thank you for this piece of advice, I will try it out tomorrow. It never occurred to me before that when following MIS I don't have as much trouble with my lunges when doing the portion that requires lunges from off the step as opposed to from a standing position on the floor (duh!). I will try using the 6-in. step as you suggest. Thanks! Anne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.