Low Impact Circuit

7badkitties

Hi All - I've owned Low Impact Circuit since it came out, but avoided it because of the step. I'm learning step (finally). I previewed LIC and noticed that Cathe and the girls are very sweaty, yet it is listed as an "intermediate" level workout. I really don't think I've seen them all drenched in sweat like that on her other DVD's. I mean, they sweat of course, but I was shocked to see them all drenched (literally sweat running down their arms), yet it's classified as Intermediate. I'm just wondering why. Also, it seems Low Impact Circuit is hardly mentioned on the forums (I lurk but rarely post). I'm curious on your thoughts regarding this workout. Why do you like it or not like it? Is it intermediate because they use light weights? Have you tried it with heavier weights? Maybe they are always drenched in sweat on the step workouts and I don't know it because I haven't done step? I'd be interested to know that too. Thanks in advance for any input!

I can't answer your question from experience, since I own LIC but have only previewed it (it looks super fun). I do note that it's rated "advanced" on collage video, whereas they rate Athletic Training, for example, "intermediate/advanced." That just kills me...AT used to only be rated intermediate (!)...guess so many folks questioned it that they upped the rating. Rating Slide n Glide intermediate I can understand,p, but AT?!? Anyway, maybe Cathe's self-rating of LIC as intermediate is low?

I've seen lots of positive comments about LIC on the forum, which is what made me buy it, although since it's an older workout, it's not mentioned as often, sort of like the high step workouts, although those are always spoken of highly as well.

FYI, you have totally encouraged me to find some kind of gap in my rotation so that I can finally do this workout. :)

And I have to do those high step workouts that also look like a blast, too. I love strength training, so it's hard for me to squeeze in circuits, since cardio days are my strength training recovery days. Ah, so many workouts, so little time!

I love it! I think its classified intermediate because of choreography. Because I can do to the max and I think that is advanced. But this one isn't as intense but it isn't easy either.. I think the intensity is up there imo, it is more int/ advanced. A lot of people may not agree but I feel drenched in sweat when I done too.

I love LIC (the music and step choreo are fun) but I only ever do the cardio only premix (no weights). My other favorite workouts are Imax 2 & 3, BM2 (cardio only premix) and Step Blast just to give you an idea. I would rate LIC choreography medium complex and the intensity intermediate to advanced. Cathe’s store describes it as “a 75 minute intermediate to advanced low-impact total body workout.” I tend to agree. You get what you put in. I usually do the workout with a 6” platform and get plenty sweaty. I’ve never done it on 8” all the way through. I would rate the workout less intense than the Imaxes, BM2 or Low Max because the blasts in LIC are short and not super hard. However, I “cheat” like crazy during LIC blasts by not reaching down as far as I can to touch the floor, etc. and this could affect my rating. And I can only speak to the cardio premix since I’ve never done it as a circuit workout.

I really enjoy LIC. I do up the weights to 8s and do the UB work twice to up the calorie burn. I never get tired of this workout. The music is great.

I read somewhere, maybe someone can verify this, that when Cathe and crew filmed this workout they accidently had the heat on instead of the air conditioning and that's why you see them sweating so much and so early in the workout! :p It is a fun workout though with great music! :D

I just did this workout today :) I was doing it on only one riser and it felt, dare I say, easy :eek: Today I added a riser the same as Cathe(two per side). It added some intensity, but I still consider this one an Intermediate. Please know I did TTM on Sunday and most things compared to that feel easier :)

The pace of the music seems slower, which is what makes it seem intermediate for me. However, because the pace of the music was slower it really allowed me time to concentrate on my form and get the most out of every move. The other thing to note is that I consider this to be more of an endurance type workout. The reps are high when she is doing the weighted exercises, which is why I think she uses the light weights.

I did feel completely worked out and tired when I was done(and sweaty). It just doesn't have the 'kill me' affect. Which is fine by me. I only need that once a week :)

I am just finishing up the beginner rotation and while not exactly a beginner, I have been "out of exercising" for a while. I would say that I am a very low level intermediate exerciser, and I did LIC the other day for the first time in place of Body Fusion in the beginner rotation. It was TOUGH, but extremely fun and very do-able, and heck yeah I was sweating buckets! I noticed how much I was sweating, and then shortly thereafter realized how sweaty Cathe and the crew were, kind of cracked me up! So I don't know why, or if they had the heat on or what, but I was pretty sweaty in my basement with cool morning air coming in my window and the fan on.

I tend to struggle with pushups and there are quite a few of them at the end, and I may have had tears in my eyes during that segment, and I might have almost barfed during the ab work, but I'm far from advanced and I got through it and look forward to putting it in my DVD player again real soon :)

Replying from my phone so forgive typos, etc! Just wanted to thank all of you for your feedback! So the replies made me do AT again because I had forgotten about that one. Yikes that was a goodie! I feel good about the option of upping to 8's (assuming I can do it with 5's first). I also think the cardio only premix would be perfect if I can learn the step. The whole workout is kind of long and I like to keep things under an hour during the week.

Sent from my iPhone using CatheForum

I LOVE this DVD! I can only do Low Impact, started with Low Impact Step and now have graduated to Low Impact Circuit. The music is great, and there are two of my all-time favorite routines in here... the V-Step/Scoop routine (Michael Jackson mix, yeah!) and the 1-2-3/lunge routine (awesome dance music). I quickly mastered the steps yet it still challenges me and I love the premix options. This DVD got me hooked on Cathe... so much so that I just went and bought 5 DVDs from the Low Impact Series! You should really give it a try.

I'm definately drenched when I'm done!:D

Thought on Low impact circuit

My thought on this thread are as follows:

1. Low impact circuit being rated intermediate-advance by cathe is fair and i agree. Based on personal experience LIC is challenging workout but not as IMAXes...The intensity is lower.
  2. As to the "sweating" I personally would not question as we all have various fitness level, aim different goals etc. Adding risers, biceps curl using Barbell with band boy!:eek::eek::eek: make a difference on the intensity and the challenge. Impact is less but intensity is high.
  3. LIC is acircuit with use of barbell... This makes LIC different to any LIS circuit.
  4. In my opinion LIC can not be rated a strength as there is just too much repetition to attempt going moderate and heavy. It is a endurance workout.
  5. Athletic training is more intense than LIC, in my opinion.

Hope this help,

Nathalie

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.