Low Impact for Beginners?

john_and_am

I need some help. My Mom needs to start exercising. She is 62 and wants to strength train. She obviously needs something low impact for her age and the fact that she never exercised. I think bands would be great and some light weights, but I'm not sure if Cathe has a DVD for this type of workout. Anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

Hi John-and-am!
Maybe she can try Basic Step/Body Fusion? The choreography in Basic Step is easy and low impact (from what I remember), and it's only about 30 minutes total, including the warm-up & cool down. Body Fusion is a bit longer (40 minutes I think) and it's a circuit with step cardio & light weight work combined. The choreography in this one is simple too, and also low impact. Cathe also has "add ons" on that DVD which include 20 minute upper body/20 minute lower body & 10 minute stability ball abs. The 20 minute add-on's utilize the bands a lot!

Hope this helps! :)

Last edited:
I need some help. My Mom needs to start exercising. She is 62 and wants to strength train. She obviously needs something low impact for her age and the fact that she never exercised. I think bands would be great and some light weights, but I'm not sure if Cathe has a DVD for this type of workout. Anyone have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate it! Thank you.

If you want to go with Cathe, I would suggest Slow and Heavy series...the form pointers are awesome..more importantly, Cathe says in the beginning of the series that ALL levels of exercisers can do this series just be choosing the weights that are appropriate to their level of fitness.

This is a great question. My mom is ~75 and she recently asked me if there were any Cathe dvds suitable for her. Yeah, my mom is just too awesome for words. Anyway, she wants something with weights and I was thinking that slow and heavy might do the trick for her because she can start off with lower weight amounts. So, I'm inclined to agree with Jerry's advice. Also, the basic step and cardio fusion dvd is great and alot of fun.
~michelle

For Cathe workouts - do Basic Step/Body Fusion. The DVD also has extra sections with weight lifting - very basic, beginner stuff - and has the Stability Ball Abs. It's a great introduction to working out, to step (so easy to learn and follow) - and really - a good workout. It's all very low impact. . . .

I still use Basic Step and Body Fusion when I want some steady-state aerobics after a major strength training workout.

Your Mom will love it because it's Cathe - and she is so fun to work out with.

My daughter is 26, but she is obese. She is really trying hard to workout and does it regularly.

What she needs right now is cardio. I purchased a used copy of Basic Step on Ebay, but it has not arrived.

My daughter can not handle a lot of joint pounding, so hope it works.

She does the Pyramids and a few muscle premixes and she prefers Cathe to all other videos we have tried so far.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.