Love PUB, but not so much PLB

mgm1

Cathlete
I finished STS last week and was really eager to go back to other workouts. So this week I started Pyramids. Loved the PUB and had some serious DOMS. Today was PLB and I felt so rushed with the contast change of weights on the barbell. I really had to watch for my back with all the weight changes and rushing to get up to put the barbell on my shoulders. I wonder if anyone has done this workout with dumbells and if yes, did you use 2 dumbells or one.

I haven't done pyramids since before my STS rotation, but I know that after the first time doing PLB with a barbell, I never again did it with a bb -- it just seemed too crazy to me, and I found doing it with dumb bells to be much more pleasant.

-Beth

I use both. I tend to alternate. Squats with the BB, lunges w/ 2 DBs, leg press with BB or 2 DBs, dead lifts w/ BB. Reason - I can't do heavy squats w/ DBs - it tosses my alignment and doesn't feel right; I can do lunges w/ either, but using the DBs gives my shoulders a break after the heavy leg presses; leg press w/ BB becuase my balance seems better, and I'm fresh so I can get the heavy bar up and down all those times, dead lift w/ BB bc it is just more comfy w/ heavy wts to use a BB than a DB for a dead lift - easier on my hands.

My squat wts are 50/60/70 and my leg press are 45/55/65, while my lunges are only 40/50/60. I just have to pop on 2 1/2 lb one each end to start the squats, which come after the leg presses. If I use the bar for lunges, then I have to back wts off and recalculate; I have a 15 lb bar. Its faster just to grab DBs. And my dead lifts are 50/60/70 so I am set from the last squat. It just flows better that way.

It saves the shoulders some tiredness from not having to lift a heavy bar up and down so many times, and it save my hands from not constantly having to hold heavy DBs. I also find its easier using the barbell in increments of 10 that way I just have to stick a 5lb on each end insted of taking something off and putting something on for each wt. I suppose the same theory works in increments of 5 and just add or subtract 2 1/2 lb plates from each end each time. I also don't put the plates back in the stack after each exercise, I leave them on the floor so they are there to go right back on for the next round, saves running around. I had some timing issues w/ this one the 1st couple times thru as well, but now that I know my wts, I know the workout, and I have everything I need ready to go, its not so bad. The pause button also helps. I won't tell;)

Nan

I have a body bar that it's between the highest and lowest weight I use, so I use that along with my barbell. I use the barbel for the lightest and heaviest set and the body bar for the middle set. I don't have to change the plates so fast since I can get a head start after the first set but don't have to rush to make sure I change both sides.

I think I'm one of the few that loves PLB as is. There are only a couple of places where I can't keep up but on an off day, I just hit pause if I need a bit of extra time. I loaned this DVD out but I was thinking I need to get it back soon!

ITA - I was doing the pyramid wo's for the past few months & really enjoyed the upper body but not so much the lower. I got to where I did bi's first though - they are killers!

Just did the workout with 2 dumbells. It made all the difference. Really enjoyed and it made me sweat big time:D

I think I'm one of the few that loves PLB as is. There are only a couple of places where I can't keep up but on an off day, I just hit pause if I need a bit of extra time. I loaned this DVD out but I was thinking I need to get it back soon!

I love PLB as is!! I remember thinking that there was no way I could do a step up with a barbell on my back but I did and it felt so accomplished. I once did the whole dvd (Upper and Lower body) in one day. I love this workout!!

Last edited:
I love PLB in that I feel it's a very well-balanced workout, even without the ball segment...BUT, I use two barbells (and I figured out ahead of time what weights to set them at, so I'm only changing weights every other set at most), and I take longer between sets (I let Cathe and crew go at their pace, then I 'back chapter' when I'm ready. I really feel the workout otherwise moves too quickly for ME to feel that it's safe, and for me as well, it doesn't allow for the lower back to recover between sets on some moves.

PLB is my all-time favorite Cathe lower body workout. I have tons and tons of plates so I can add 5 or 10 lbs to my barbell fairly quickly. But seeing as Cathe does leg presses, squats, lunges, and deadlifts with dumbbells only throughout STS mesos 1 and 2, the same could be done while doing PLB.

I think PLB/PUB will be the first weight workouts I try once I'm done with my current STS rotation.

I'm MUCH better but my upper body is STILL letting me know that I did PUB on Sunday. My butt and hamstrings are letting me know I did PLB on Tuesday. PUB/PLB give me the longest lasting DOMS for some reason when I first go back to doing them no matter what type of rotation I've been doing. I love, love, love the floor work on PLB. It is killer to me anyway, especially after the weighted workout. I need to do an experiment b/c I believe it is the floor work on PLB that makes my lower body scream later. I don't know why b/c it's not over the top or anything but I think it's the sequencing and the doing the floor work after doing the weight work. I plan on doing the Pyramids for a while along with a total body weight workout or KB workout or Core Synergistics(P90X) and cardio.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.