KPC - Anyone else have this problem?

lynda

Cathlete
I recently added this workout back into my schedule. The problem is, the day after, I am so achy, I feel like I have the flu. It fooled me the first couple of times. I thought I was coming down with something. Now I've wised up. I know it's from the workout. My whole body, especially lower back, just kills me. Will this pass? I workout 5 to 6 times a week with Cathe, and nothing else affects me this way. Any suggestions?

Hi lynda,

Yes, This too shall pass. Once your body adjusts to this workout. I got this way a long time ago. I hadn't done Kickboxing in a long time and when I did CK, I paid the piper. I walked with my arms at my side cause they hurt and my abd. was so sore. I could feel all the muscles in my butt cheeks. It hurt to sit to pee and I had a hard time wiping. I know TMI. Also, for some reason after doing step fit, I would get sooo hungry and sleepy.

Keep it up, your guard that is,
jordan

If your lower back is killing you after a workout, I would take the intensity down and build up slowly.

I have a problem with my lower back/pelvis. I'm under treatment with a chiropractor after discovering that I have one leg slightly shorter than the other, and my pelvis has become a bit twisted! I started to get better with treatment, then aggravated the problem with kickboxing. I've now been advised that kickboxing is very hard on the pelvis and that I shouldn't do it (very sad about this!)

If your back is healthy, then kickboxing is a great workout. However, lower back pain still shouldn't be ignored, and building up the intensity at your own pace is a good idea. Once you have a back problem, going to a chiropractor regularly is very expensive!!

Hi lynda,

I'm glad Shaz weighed in. I did not read your post as injury pain. I read it as DOMS. You have to be careful not to aggrevate an injury.

Be safe,
jordan

I have lower back issues, but I've been able to keep the back pain under control for over a year thanks to core training and such. However, I find that when I do kickboxing sometimes the pain returns. I do know from other people who have back problems they've been told by their doctors to avoid kickboxing. However, since I love to do a variety of cardio I will sneak kickboxing workouts into my routine now and then. What helps me is to not kick so high. Plus a good long stretch afterwards works wonders! In the meantime, you might want to take it down a notch, as doing all Cathe all the time can be quite stressful on the body.

I'm another one of those folks with lower back issues. Without going into too much detail, I'll just say that I have lost a lot of the curve that should be in the spine, and that I have a minor curvature in my upper back. I also have 3 chipped discs (in x-rays you can see a piece of the bone hanging suspended away from teh rest of the bone) in my lower back. I have been seeing a chiropractor for years, and we're able to keep my discomfort under relative control.

I do a series of lower back stretches before every single workout, and if my back is bothering me, I'll do those stretches during or after a workout, too. I can't tell you how much my lower back has improved since I started doing those stretches! I used to have all kinds of lower back pain, but not anymore. My chiropractor showed me how to do some of them, but I got most of them out of a book on stretching.

Perhaps if you're having lower back pain, doing these stretches will help. Again, ask your chiro to show you some or you can pick up any number of books on stretching for illustrated instructions on how to perform them.

Thanks for all the tips. I will definitely try to concentrate more on stretching my low back and hope that this gives me some relief. I'd hate to have to stop doing this workout, (1), because I really like it, and, (2), because I probably really need it. If I'm having this much trouble, I probably have some neglected muscles that could use strengthening. I'm going to hang in there, and hopefull, it will get better.

I remember when this workout first came out there were quite a few posts about back soreness from the workout.

I also used to get very sore from the workout. Now, I do Cathe's warm up and then press pause and do a few back stretching exercises. Since I made this change, no soreness from the workout.

Lisa

Hi lynda again,

I did this workout last night because it was on my schedule. It has been a busy week for me and I was unusually tired. I am usually more focused on form but I got sloppy. I noticed that I had to correct my form several times during the stability ball portion. Although I don't feel any discomfort today, I could feel my lower back complaining just prior to correcting my form. As I checked my form in the mirror (I have a mirror covering most of the wall in my workout room) I noticed some arching of my lower back as I performed the exercises. Also, because I was tired, I was having trouble with the speed of the stability ball workout so I may have twisted a bit. Your post popped into my head. I really enjoy this workout and have not had problems in the past.

Check for medical reasons and recheck your form (for both sections of the workout).

Just one more thing to think about,
jordan

Hi Everyone, just thought I would add my 2 cents.....I had a major lower back injury and couldn't even walk for two weeks, very painful. I love kickboxing and still do it, but I do pilates about three times a week (even twenty minutes) to help relieve back pain and build the core for added stability. I have noticed such a huge improvement when it comes to pain in the back.

My mother is always complaining about back pain, but won't try Pilates......x( Its very frustrating for me because i think if she gave it a whirl, it would do wonders to balance that out....

Anyways, I might try adding twenty minutes of Pilates excercises after the KPC.....I don't have KPC (yet}( ) but I do love Taibo.

I have seen many complaints on this website about back and side soreness after doing kickboxing. The key is to STRETCH, STRETCH, STRETCH after kickboxing. For some people, it takes awhile for the body to adjust to kickboxing but I found stretching after the workout to do the trick.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.