KickMax / Leg Conditioning Drills

CathydsRNA

Cathlete
Hi all,
After my workout yesteray when I was relaxing, I previewed KickMax and decided to do the Leg Conditioning drills at the end of the workout. I got off my couch, dragged a chair over and did this section. For anyone who has studied ballet, this reminds me of a short (about 15 minutes) Barre workout with your legs in the turned in position with repect to the hip socket instead of turned out. The first drill was a chamber to the side that was held in the elevated position and pulsed (think attitude in second position with a turned in leg), then the leg was slowly extended and bent back for several reps on 4/4 and 2/2 counts and faster half counts for the extension and retraction. Leg was also held in the extended posion (static) and then leg circles were executed. Slow single kicks were also done. Similar exercises were done for roundhouse and back kicks. Also done were front slow leg lifts in which the elevated leg is drawn down in an arc to the floor towards the support leg (once again think opposite of ballet instead of lifting the leg (think slow battement)to the front and lowering to seconde, you are moving the arc towards your body. All of these exercises will help to develop extension and range of motion. You can repeat these exercise with the leg turned out (not important for kickboxing but will further develop flexibility, extension and range of motion). Although these exercises are added at the end of the workout, I would recommend that in order to get the most out of them and use them for what they can do : increase leg extension (both the height of the extension and duration of extension)and range of motion, that they be done in isolation and to do them after a warm up only. If you are tired you won't be able to put as much into them and will only increase your endurance but won't be doing much for your extension. Follow with a good stretch... the resistance band workout in Stretch Max would be a good one as this stretch works on hip and hamstring flexibility.

Cathy,
Great suggestion!! That's what's so nice about being here. I am not creative at all and would have never thought about doing those by themselves with warm up and stretch. I could definately use the work on my flexability. Although it has increased tremendously by doing kpc.

thanks again
catherine

Cathy,

When I was previewing KickMax I knew right away that the leg conditioning drills would have to be done another day! I would like to be able to move the next day! Thank you for your indepth input on this.

I think this would be great for freestyle training.

~Reece Out~

Cathy, these are great suggestions! As a person who hasn't taken ballet since age 10 and REALLY needs added extension and flexibility, I am THRILLED with these drills. When I previewed this tape I immediately thought about plugging these drills in more often as an add-on, like Stretch Max. Thank you so much for the ballet details -- they really help with envisioning the correct positions to hold!

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0304/sport/sport-smiley-001.gif
[font color=green]2005 Worked Out With Cathe Days 21/44/365

I can vouch for this one. I did KickMax, the whole thing, when I first received it. I was dying by the time the conditioning drills came on but I plodded through. I didn't have the energy to get my legs up very high but I did it. Last night, I did just the leg conditioning drills after the leg warm up from Gym Style Legs. I was easily able to focus on lift and form. I followed with the #3 stretch from Stretch Max. Great.:p

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.