Kickboxing rec for a beginner:KPC or CK?

Girl, that is one hard question. I really think neither one of these would be good if you have never done any kickboxing before. Both workouts assume you know the moves and do not break down the form of the punches and kicks. I started with Tae-Bo years ago, so I was familiar with the punches and kicks before I did either workout.

If you have never done a kickboxing workout,maybe someone here could suggest a good kickboxing workout to get you familiar with the moves.

IMHO, KP&C is easier than CK. They are both wonderful cardio workouts.

LOL, :) Renee

I would say, between the two, Cardio Kicks is easier. Neither is really for a beginner to exercise, but if you've been working out for a few months, CK is probably the better workout for you. Of course, it's not as much fun as KPC and you can always modify and do lower kicks.

I think CK is easier than KPC (it's not easy, just easier than KPC). It's got a lot more high/low in it than does KPC. Even easier than CK is CTX Kickbox (and it's only about 1/2 an hour).

If you are looking for kickboxing workouts for beginners, I found Janis Saffell's stuff to fit the bill.

Shelbygirl

Hi Tishee,

Cathe is an advanced instructor who has made a couple beginner workouts. Neirther of those workouts has been kickboxing. There are also some kickboxing segments in other workouts of the CTX series.

Of the two full hour workouts:

Cardio Kicks is an aerobic workout with a kickboxing influence. It is an advanced aerobic workout.

Kick, punch, crunch is a tough kickbox workout with cardio and kickboxing combos. The pace is for an advanced kickboxing exerciser.

Both are pretty tough and not for a beginner. You really need to start with a workout that explains kickboxing. Many might say that you can modify. I don't think that is wise. I think lack of knowledge on good form can lead to injuries.

Kickmax is coming soon, but from the description it sounds similar in intensity to KPC. Check out Collage video for recs.

This might sound straight forward but I just don't want you to derail your workout regimine by getting injured or discouraged.

jordan

I agree with Jordan here completely.

I started Kickbox with Alain Bissanthe's Kickbox Circuit from the Body bar company. It is excellent for beginners, intermediates, and he also does muscle conditioning for kickboxing, slows down the kicks to show you the exact mechaanics of them, before you speed them up for the cardio blasts.

Also, people like Janis Saffell, so you could try her tapes from Collage video.

Clare

I also agree with what Jordan said. I use Janis Saffell's workouts quite a bit. I don't think she is as intense as Cathe, but her specialty is Kickbox. I think she is very good at it. I would suggest Janis's Quick Fix Total Cardio workout. They are broken up in 3 10 min. workouts & there is an extra 15 min. bonus. I get a pretty good workout doing the entire thing, but as a beginner you can do one or two sections at a time until you get better at it.

HTH
Aila

Greetings Tishee! Kathy Smith has a kickboxing workout which does a good job of explaining how to execute punches and kicks-- I believe it is for beginners/intermediates. There is a 5-10 minute section at the end where she takes you slowly through various kicks (using a chair for balance) to make sure you're doing them properly. I'm fairly new to Cathe, and find KPC, while one of my favorites, to be very challenging.

Hope this helps,
L

I enjoy Taebo and Billy has a fuill set of Basic workouts and Instructional workouts for the beginner. CollageVideo.com will show you clips.

Good Luck!

Lisa

Thanks everyone! Off to cv to take a look at the JS kickboxing workouts........thanks so much everyone!
Tishee

Cathe's kickboxing workout that is part of the cross training express series is pretty basic. It's also short, with a nice core workout to help both develop and complement the muscles needed for kickboxing. I would recommend that to beginners and intermediates. I agree that K,P,C and Cardio Kicks is more advanced.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.