Kick Punch and Crunch and my Back

Christi23

Cathlete
Hi everyone,
I just bought KPC and it's my first kickboxing DVD. I'm wondering is it normal to feel tightness in the back after doing it? I feel like I lifted 25's for lat row, and I know I didn't.

It's a continuing process.....

Hi, Christie! IMHO, I do think it is normal to feel your back a little more after doing KPC, especially if it's your first kickbox routine. Many of the movements in KPC incorporate trunk-twisting, and bringing one knee up and across the body to the opposite side while at the same time performing that "knee smash". Also, you're working the legs a great deal from the hip joint with the front, side and rear push-kicks as well as roundhouse kicks.

IMHO, as fine a workout as KPC is, it should not be done more than once per week precisely because of the implications to the lower back. Make sure to keep current with your core work as well (and KPC just happens to have an awesome core and ab routine incorporating the stability ball) with routines that utilize plank work, traditional supine crunches for the rectus abdominus AND the obliques, supermans etc. If you don't have the Pyramid Upper / Lower Body DVD consider getting that, not only for the entire workout but also for the PUB ab routine; also consider getting the Boot Camp / Muscle Endurance DVD; the ME workout has a great ab routine as well.

HTH -

A-Jock

Not sure its "normal" to feel low back pain when doing KP&C, but I do know that I feel pain in my low back, hips and butt each and every time I do this workout. The low back pain kind of worries me since I've had numerous problems with that area, but the workout hasn't prevented me to continue working out. I think its all the back and side kicks, they are killers!
Debbie in OH

Oh my gosh Cristy I thought the same thing just two days ago! I almost posted about it. Even though I've had this workout since it came out, this was my third time doing it. Since it was more familiar, I was able to really punch and kick. My back was pretty sore (not bad sore) but like you said, it felt like I did heavy lat rows.
Susan C.M.

Very timely thread! I did this one on Tuesday in it's entirety. Usually I just do a premix. Yesterday my lower back was a little sore but today I feel as if I pulled something. I have low back problems to begin with, but I've kept them under control for two years. I haven't done much kickboxing during that time and when I have, I've kept my kicks low. Tuesday I went all out and now I'm really paying for it. I guess I'll be shelving my kickboxing workouts for awhile. I think a nice long yoga workout is on the agenda for today.

Hope you feel better!

Yes you will feel it in your back especially the lats. I feel this the most because of the punches and uppercuts. The uppercuts use your lats quite a bit, I certainly feel them when I am giving it my all.

Rhonda

The first time I did KPC my lats and obliques were so sore the next day it hurt to breath!! It got better.

catherine

Several years ago I did the worst damage to my back doing a kickboxing routine. I twisted/ strained something on the left side of my lower back. I could hardly move. It took a few months to get better, and I am still very careful about the moves I do. I think that it was because my upper body was strong and the core was not strong enough in comparison. There was nothing to support the twisting and tork on the trunk. I now incorporate lots of core work and haven't had any flare ups recently.

Tracy

Hi Christi - I often feel it in my lats and obliques! I think that lets me know I've been working hard! :) I've never experienced low back pain or anything like that. It's always been a good muscle hurt!

Jo

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.