I've never tried a Cathe workout - need help (I'm a Firmie)

Hi,

I've read about Cathe workouts on the Firm forum, and am interested in buying a DVD package. I love step aerobics, but I'm not very experienced, so I'd like a suggestion for a beginner Cathe step tape/dvd (if one exists!).

Also, how does Cathe compare to The Firm? I've checked out some of her video clips, and they look really impressive.

Thanks,
Amy

You might want to start with the Cardio Kicks/Circuit Max DVD or Cathe's Cardio Hits DVD (which is all step). For strength I love the Pure Strength DVD. It's broken down into chapters that make it easy to mix and match your workouts. Have fun.

Hi Amy,

Cathe's strength work is straight forward gym style lifting that exhausts the muscle. Most people find they can reach new strength levels using this method. The slower tempo with brief rests also allows one to use heavier weight. I think anyone can find the right Cathe tape for their strength training needs.

She does some circuit training that will kind of remind you of Firm workouts. Cardio then some strength, back to cardio. But it's "cleaner", there's plenty of time to grab an appropriate weight.

Cathe's cardio workouts are advanced - fast tempo, high impact. If your only stepping experience is the Firm, then I urge you to use some transition tapes (e.g. Gin Miller, Kathy Smith) to bridge the gap. Some people need to lower the impact of their cardio work & that takes some experience. With that in mind, some of the step experts here can direct you to the easier to learn cardio workouts. Some are "broken down" or explained more than others.

Welcome!!
Debra

Hi Amy!

I was a Firmie for 4 years, but really needed to increase the intensity because I hit a plateau. I started doing Cathe's tapes and was hooked from the beginning! I've been a runner for 12 years but wanted to increase muscle size & definition. I am seeing incredible results with Cathe's tapes (MIS, MIC, PS, S&H, PH, cardio kicks, interval max, body max etc etc). I'm seeing some serious definition & my running has improved so much! I don't think you can compare the Firm & Cathe in terms of weight training; I was frustrated with the Firm because I couldn't lift as heavy as I wanted to with their routines. Reps are too fast, not enough rest time, couldn't lift to failure. Cathe's step routines are much more complex but boy are they fun! Start off with cardio kicks (kickboxing, all floor/no step) and maybe try step heat, interval max... but beware, once you buy one, you will want them all! Good luck!

You've gotten some good suggestions--I agree with the non-step tape Cardiokicks, particularly if you don't have a full-size step. It's great because absolutely no equipment is needed (you just need a bit of space).;) Also, as another longtime Firmie (10 years!) I think Circuit Max is a good way to transition to Cathe's style. The circuit idea is somewhat similar to Firm vids, plus Circuit Max has a good sampling of Cathe's very non-Firm-like and intense cardio; it includes traditional step, some hi/lo and kickboxing on and off the step. Enjoy, whatever you choose!:)

Hi Amy.. Welcome to the world of Cathe.

Since your looking for a "beginner" Step workout, but you have workout experience I would suggest to start with MegaStep Blast, The Wedding Video, or Step Heat. None of these are available on DVD yet. Once you have one of these under your belt you can move on to Cathe's Cardio Hits DVD and her Rythemic Step DVD. Once you get one, chances are you'll get hooked and get them all anyway.

Have Fun,
Dawn W

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.