Intensity

jengollf

Cathlete
I love this workout! It was not at all what I expected. From reading the description, I had assumed it was a sort of "premix" from 4 other workouts: Imax, Bootcamp, Plyo (which I couldn't find a plyo workout so I was assuming Plyo Legs) and HIIT. I have avoided the majority of Cathe's step workouts due to the complex choreography, but I decided that due to the premixes on Intensity, if I find the foot work in the Imax portion too complex, I can avoid it in the future by using premixes. I knew I'd love her HIIT, Plyo and Bootcamp stuff.

First--this was not a "mix" of different workouts--at least not in the way I thought. I thought it was literally pieced together from other workouts! Apparently she is using moves and combos from other workouts, but created this as a compelte separate workout. Also, I didn't recognize anything as being a segment lifted from another workout. Some of the moves were familiar, but put together completely different.

Second--I only had minor problems with the step choreogrpahy! This was a huge surprise to me. I should easily be able to learn the steps for the few places I was confused. Now I'm wondering if I am underestimating my ability to do some of her other step workouts. (this may not be good for my pocket book--I thought I was done buying workouts for a while!)

I adore this workout! And all the amazing premixes! I can use this so many ways! I am so glad I decided to give it a try.

Two questions:
1. I did the main 57 minute workout this morning. I plan to do the 70 minute Maximum Intensity premix that includes Bootcamp--which includes weights. Would this be classified as actual strength work, or just weights to add instensity, like in TTM, CF, AB and CSS?

2. Is this how Terminator and Hardcore Extreme are put together? Are they unique workouts that are created using the concepts from other workouts? Or are they "pieced" together from other workouts--like long premixes?

The boot camp add-on in Intensity uses light/moderate weights to increase the cardio factor, so it's not a true weight lifting workout.

Terminator and Hardcore Extreme have 3 workouts that are "pieces" of other workouts knit together to create a medley. They are a lot of fun and VERY intense, but there is nothing new. I actually like them because I can have pieces of different workouts.

I pulled this gem out on Tuesday and did premix 4...forgot how much fun I had doing this workout. I plan on starting the Feb. 2011 Rock Bottoms Rotation on 10/29. Intensity is in there a few times!

Lisa

Well done Jen

I love this workout! It was not at all what I expected. From reading the description, I had assumed it was a sort of "premix" from 4 other workouts: Imax, Bootcamp, Plyo (which I couldn't find a plyo workout so I was assuming Plyo Legs) and HIIT. I have avoided the majority of Cathe's step workouts due to the complex choreography, but I decided that due to the premixes on Intensity, if I find the foot work in the Imax portion too complex, I can avoid it in the future by using premixes. I knew I'd love her HIIT, Plyo and Bootcamp stuff.

First--this was not a "mix" of different workouts--at least not in the way I thought. I thought it was literally pieced together from other workouts! Apparently she is using moves and combos from other workouts, but created this as a compelte separate workout. Also, I didn't recognize anything as being a segment lifted from another workout. Some of the moves were familiar, but put together completely different.

Second--I only had minor problems with the step choreogrpahy! This was a huge surprise to me. I should easily be able to learn the steps for the few places I was confused. Now I'm wondering if I am underestimating my ability to do some of her other step workouts. (this may not be good for my pocket book--I thought I was done buying workouts for a while!)

I adore this workout! And all the amazing premixes! I can use this so many ways! I am so glad I decided to give it a try.

Two questions:
1. I did the main 57 minute workout this morning. I plan to do the 70 minute Maximum Intensity premix that includes Bootcamp--which includes weights. Would this be classified as actual strength work, or just weights to add instensity, like in TTM, CF, AB and CSS?

2. Is this how Terminator and Hardcore Extreme are put together? Are they unique workouts that are created using the concepts from other workouts? Or are they "pieced" together from other workouts--like long premixes?

Hi Jen,

I think you are underestimating your abilities...I am glad you love INTENSITY. It is an absolute gem...I did it last week. It is one dvd I do revisit for premixes.
I would not classify it as a strength workout. It is a circuit in my opinion as while doing it you do not hit all muscle groups. It is still very challenging though. This workout is anaerobic. The first time I did it I thought "i wish cathe sequenced premixes into more short burst one" 15-20 minutes...two years letter To the max, cross fire are out with short burst premixes. More is coming with XTRAIN.

If you want your strength routine with an anaerobic, explore those premixes and eventually combine them with routing such as pure strength. Those are the type of combination I enjoy the most. I reckon that is the best for me too.

Terminator and Hardcore extreme... Lol those are in my to do list therefore I can not comment. I reckon titles speaks for themselves!:D:D;)

I think you should give IMAXES a chance when you feel it. It took me a year to attempt imax2. I did the cardio and weight portion and could not dare trying the pure step. When I mastered it, I wanted IMAX3 and now I am asking for more choreography:D:D:D

Plese let us know how you get with those too Hardcores (Terminator and Hardcore extreme). These are compilation. Cathe does no longer make compilation.

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

The boot camp add-on in Intensity uses light/moderate weights to increase the cardio factor, so it's not a true weight lifting workout.

Terminator and Hardcore Extreme have 3 workouts that are "pieces" of other workouts knit together to create a medley. They are a lot of fun and VERY intense, but there is nothing new. I actually like them because I can have pieces of different workouts.

Thanks! Both Terminator and Hardcore Extreme will have some new-to-me things in them since I have avoided most of her step workouts. I'm going to try Terminator first since it uses Imax 2--which I gather from reading this forum has less complex choreography than Imax 3.

Hi Jen,

I think you are underestimating your abilities...I am glad you love INTENSITY. It is an absolute gem...I did it last week. It is one dvd I do revisit for premixes.
I would not classify it as a strength workout. It is a circuit in my opinion as while doing it you do not hit all muscle groups. It is still very challenging though. This workout is anaerobic. The first time I did it I thought "i wish cathe sequenced premixes into more short burst one" 15-20 minutes...two years letter To the max, cross fire are out with short burst premixes. More is coming with XTRAIN.

If you want your strength routine with an anaerobic, explore those premixes and eventually combine them with routing such as pure strength. Those are the type of combination I enjoy the most. I reckon that is the best for me too.

Terminator and Hardcore extreme... Lol those are in my to do list therefore I can not comment. I reckon titles speaks for themselves!:D:D;)

I think you should give IMAXES a chance when you feel it. It took me a year to attempt imax2. I did the cardio and weight portion and could not dare trying the pure step. When I mastered it, I wanted IMAX3 and now I am asking for more choreography:D:D:D

Plese let us know how you get with those too Hardcores (Terminator and Hardcore extreme). These are compilation. Cathe does no longer make compilation.

Kind Regards,

Nathalie

I'm going to give Terminator a try. I think since it uses Imax 2 it will give me an idea if I can handle her choreography or not! I do love those premixes. I love how I can do the whole workout on cardio days, or just a chunk of it on strength days. Tomorrow I am finish off GS Back and Biceps with Triple Tababta premix from TTM. Then next week, for a cardio day, I'm doing TTM extreme premix. What did I do before Cathe? My old workouts seem so boring now!

Hi there Jen!

Intensity has a special place in my heart. It was my very first step routine EVER. I was a newbie to step, and got a rude awakening. I was so confused by the step choreo, that I put that sucker away and humbly downgraded to Basic Step/Body Fusion. After mastering those, I was able to give Intensity another try. With that said, YES you are underestimating your abilities. From Intensity, I was able to go above and beyond what I thought my capabilities were. If you really want to venture out into the world of complex step, you CAN DO IT. Baby steps :).

IMO, Imax 2 & 3 are not the easiest step choreo. Can you do it? Sure. Will it be hard? Yup. I compare complex choreo to learning a different language. You can't just "jump in" and expect to speak fluently with the best of them. I can say from experience that Cathe has a lot of familiar moves in her workouts. So let's say you give Step Blast a try (which is her #1 step workout in my eyes), you will become familiar with the moves, learn them, and remember them. You then bravely decide to try Imax 2. You will see a move from Step Blast and just automatically "know" how to do it. You've already been taught, so it will be easier. This to me is known as trickle-down-effect (or so that's what I like to call it).

Hardcore Extreme was my 3rd experience with step after Intensity and Basic Step. I go back to the High/Low section time and time again, which has bits and pieces from Low Max, Imax 3 and Kickmax :eek::eek:. Talk about serious BOOTY WHIPPING :eek::eek:.

Good luck!!!

Natasha

Worthy ouch

Hi there Jen!

Hardcore Extreme was my 3rd experience with step after Intensity and Basic Step. I go back to the High/Low section time and time again, which has bits and pieces from Low Max, Imax 3 and Kickmax :eek::eek:. Talk about serious BOOTY WHIPPING :eek::eek:.

Good luck!!!

Natasha

To Natasha,

Talking about whipping...steps do whip legs as well...As to the booty they do get whipped into a nice compact "tush" :D:p
A worthy OUCH in my opinion ;)

I did this dvd for the first time tonight. Wow! :eek: I underestimated the "intensity" of the step portion. I thought I could actually do the 70 min version, boy am I an idiot. :eek: In just getting through the step part I burned 539 calories. I know right there I have some work to do. The steps were a little tricky for me in some parts. My ultimate goal for this dvd is to be able to make it through the Step, HiiT (Hi) and Boot Camp version all the way through before moving on to my next 90 day challenge. I don't know if I'll ever have the attention span to get through two HiiTs back to back as is in the 70 min version, but I'll leave that open. I've coupled this dvd with AfterBurn. What a nice challenge that dvd is. Nearly my entire body was hurting the next day. I look forward to the progression. :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.