IMAX 3 or Rhythmic Step

michefit

Cathlete
I have $50 burning a hole in my pocket - which should I buy? I have Hardcore Extreme - but thought it would be good to have IMAX3 for the premixes. I am looking for some "intense cardio" Any thoughts?

IMAX 3 is about as intense as it gets! Rhythmic Step is fun, but learning the choreography is much harder than actually doing the workout.

Do you have Cardio Fusion? I really like that one! It's got a lot of variety, can be as long or as short as you want it to be, and is so much fun! Oh, and challenging, too.

What other videos are you considering?

RS

If you get RS you also get the original Imax and MIC. Both are good cardio wo and instead of just one wo you get three :)

Imax 3 is much more intense but with easier choreography, whereas, Rhythmic Step has difficult choreography but moderate intensity.

But as RapidBreath said, RS comes with Imax 1 and Maximum Intensity Cardio and those workouts are intense! I'd spend the $50 for the RS/Imax/MIC for something new.

I also had Hardcore Extreme and wanted the IMAX 3 DVD separately so I could get the premixes and the workout as is. The recovery times seem even shorter on HE. But I have to agree with everyone else that RS/MIC/IMAX is the better buy here. IMAX 1 doesn't have the premixes but it still has the intensity. I always have trouble getting through blast 10 and the hi/lo in MIC is also high on the intensity scale. I don't care for the step workout though. Rhythmic Step is my favorite step of Cathe's and probably always will be. It's what got me hooked on her.

Marcy

RHYTHMIC STEP!

IMAX 3 has too many high intensity blasts that put unnecessary strain on the joints.

I think many of Cathe's new step videos are trips to the ER just waiting to happen.

Ditto Amy Bento's Advanced Step Challenge.

I freaking despise Fast Feet shuffles.

I hate them worse than any move ever made by any instructor.

There are ways of getting a good cardio workout without risking danger to your joints.

Rhythmic Step is my very favorite Cathe workout and I've done them all except the beginner ones.

In fact it is one of my all time favorites by any instructor.

I wish Cathe would do another video like Rhythmic Step and forget all that fast feet shuffle stuff.

One error in stepping and you are on the floor.

Anyone for breaking their ankle?

Amy, I was fast-feet shuffling yesterday morning (after a month of being ill). It takes so much energy -- I'd forgotten how peppy you have to be to pull that off!

Maybe we should start a new thread: "What is your least favorite step or cardio move?"

Hmmm.....

Hi MicheFit!
Another vote here for Rhythmic Step! I LOVE this workout, it is my absolute favorite by Cathe. I love the music and the choreography so much! Since you already have portions of IMAX3 with Hardcore Extreme, I'd go with RS. Like the others have mentioned, you will also get Maximum Intensity Cardio (very tough workout!!) and the original IMAX, also a killer! You can't go wrong with RS, I would get that one!

:)Christine

One more vote for RS. It is my favorite cardio--the choreography is a bit tricky to learn, but once you get it, RS is one fun routine. The challenge at the end is really fun. And quite frankly, the IMAX routines kind of intimidate me, particularly IMAX 3. I think I'm not quite up to IMAX yet--but soon, very soon.

Michelle

The fast feet shuffle scares me to death! I modify as much as possible.

In Cathe's earlier videos, she never did the fast feet shuffle and the workouts were intense.

One reason I love Rhythmic Step is that it is an advanced workout without any of that stupid fast feet shuffle junk.

I have pretty good endurance, but I do not want to break a bone doing a move that might bench me for 3 to 6 months.

I agree Amy, I never do any move I feel would harm me...period. I put my ego on the back burner and do jumping jacks or repeaters...I cannot do tuck jumps, at all..fast feet shuffles are replaced by running up and down the step as fast as I can, or simply doing repeaters.

If you have to make a choice at this point, I too vote for the Rhythmic Step / Interval Max / Maximum Intensity Cardio disc, and if you like THAT and still enjoy the I-Max 3 drills on your HCE disc, then get I-max 3 at a later date.

I personally like I-Max 3 primarily for its blast-only premix; keep in mind I'm an absolute klutz when the choreography gets more complicated than a hopturn across a long step, so I'm all about basic choreo / maximum power moves. Impact issues are individual to each exerciser; I personally have no problem with high impact and/or plyo moves and I'm 47.

Many have mentioned they don't care for the step segment of Maximum Intensity Cardio, which comes about 35 minutes into the warm-up. I too find that step segment to be too moderate for my tastes and capabilities. One thing you can do to really, REALLY maximize the intensity of this one is to do the warm-up and hi/lo in MIC; then quick scoot to the beginning of the actual step/blast segments of Interval Max and do as many of these as you can. Major, major cardio and leg power benefits and bragging rights.

A-Jock

tneah, I agree. :eek:

Always have to modify the floor plyo to low-impact or a different move on the step. The workouts are still totally effective and fun, though.

OK, after reading all the posts, for the "more for your money" factor, I would go for RS etc. That being said, IMax 3 is one of my favorite workouts and the fast feet shuffle is probably my favorite move! As AJock said, joint issues are unique to each person and we all have to know our selves and do what we can/should! Anyway, have fun with your choice!

Depends on what YOU prefer.
If you like a bit dancier, fun step, then Rythmic Step would be my suggestion.
If you want a super high-impact workout ( with some moves jumping both onto AND off of the step), then you might prefer IMAX3 (a workout I got rid of pretty quickly for that reason, and because the super-high impact is combined with a bit more tricky choreo, a combo I really dislike).

Imax 3 would be my choice hands down. Great music (although not loud enough on my copy), fun choreography, intense yet fun intervals.

As others have pointed out....RS is more steady state (but the music starts to get on my nerves after a while) and Imax 3 is more high impact/interval/suck the paint of the wall type of workout.

I thought the music on my Hardcore DVDs was low too on some players as well. Then I used my computer drive with a speaker set that has a subwoofer. Amazing difference! The music sounds awesome on Imax 3 and Low Max. I hope Cathe chooses a soundtrack similar to those in the future.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.