Imax 2 vs Imax 3

darine

Cathlete
I have Imax 2 and I feel I need more cardio in my selection. Should I get Imax 3? What is the difference between both, are they similar?
which one is toughest?
thx
Darine

I'll be interested to hear Imax 3 users' thoughts on this.

The only Imax 3 footage I have is from the Hardcore Extreme DVD, and it seems pretty tough. I may buy it in the future, but right now I'm a little intimidated. :p

Imax 3 is a toughie but not as tough as I had feared. It just doesn't quite have the "fun factor" that I enjoy so much in Imax 2. It's definitely a good workout though!

Imax 3 is my favorite of the Imaxes! I do it on a 6 inch step like Cathe does (I do Imax1 and Imax2 on 8 inches), and it still is tough. I think the combos are interesting, and the blasts are challenging -- there's quite a bit of impact, so you need to enjoy jumping! I even do the last blast twice I enjoy it so much.

One warning -- the first blast is a little tricky. The first time I tried it, I could not figure it out -- and I fell on my butt. I finally had to just watch it a few times. The rest of the workout is not as complicated.

I do this workout a lot, it may even be my favorite workout of all!

Like Writer, Imax 3 is my favorite of the Imax's. It is definitely tougher than Imax 2 but doable! I say GET IT! It's the one I reach for the most!

I agree - it's my favorite as well. It's one that really gets your heart rate up. I do this one on 8" to really bump up the cardio.

The choreography is not crazy complicated and it has a few premixes for shorter workouts as well.

Heather
Like Writer, Imax 3 is my favorite of the Imax's. It is definitely tougher than Imax 2 but doable! I say GET IT! It's the one I reach for the most!

I just did Imax 3 this morning. I find it very challenging. I get breathless a lot more with Imax 3 then Imax 2. The blasts in Imax 3 are much harder for me then Imax 2. To me, Imax 3 is the hardest cardio cathe has made. Peggy

I just did Imax 3 this morning. I find it very challenging. I get breathless a lot more with Imax 3 then Imax 2. The blasts in Imax 3 are much harder for me then Imax 2. To me, Imax 3 is the hardest cardio cathe has made. Peggy
I definitely agree with that. For me, Imax3 is my personal archenemy. When... (if...) I manage to do it without any rests, I feel like a hero. And I've injured myself twice on the first interval - I've NEVER been injured with another Cathe's workout, ever.

I did both Imax2 and Imax 3 this week so I got a good comparison. They are both relatively new to me and I have done each one only 2x now. I found Imax3 more challenging than Imax2. Cathe really tightens up on the recovery time on Imax3 so you're heart rate needs to be able to drop quickly after a blast. I prefer Imax2 right now it definitely has more of a fun factor, but Imax 3 is really a challenging workout!

IMAX 3 is my favorite IMAX. 2 and 3 are similar in that they are structured the same way - 10 intervals of a step routine (done 6 times) and an interval blast. It is definitely more challenging and intense than IMAX 2. Choreographically, it is also more complex. I think the reverse mambo off the step from IMAX 3 is also in Low Max. In IMAX 2, the only somewhat tough blast for me is Blast 9. IMAX 3 has three difficult blasts for me - 1, 4 and 7. IMAX 3 also has plie jacks (blast 5). I like the music in IMAX 3 a little better as well. If you want a really challenging workout, try the blast only premix on IMAX 3. I still can't get through it without extra rest.

Marcy

I enjoy both Imax 2 and 3. Imax 3 is definitely more challenging! I must say that Imax 2 although challenging, is much more fun than Imax 3. Imax 2 is probably my favorite Cathe cardio workout!

Regina

ok, let me get this straight. YOU DO IMAX3 ON AN 8" STEP????????????????? i can barely get thru it on a 6" and that is on a good day. it scares me. i don't do it alot, cuz it is soooo hard. i have to feel really , really good to tackle this one.
cathy

I also do Imax 3 (pretty much all step workouts) on 8" as well. It definitely bumps up the intensity a notch or 2!

Heather

ok, let me get this straight. YOU DO IMAX3 ON AN 8" STEP????????????????? i can barely get thru it on a 6" and that is on a good day. it scares me. i don't do it alot, cuz it is soooo hard. i have to feel really , really good to tackle this one.
cathy

I like Imax 2 way more than Imax 3 for the fun factor and it's more knee friendly. Imax 3 just seems insane, like the goal was to put as much knee pounding moves into one workout as possible. If that's your thing, and for some it is, then Imax 3 is your workout.

I never have the dread factor with Imax 2. It's just FUN and I can modify some of the turning-type moves that bother my knee and still get a kick butt workout, all while having fun. Did I mention that it's fun? :)

I like both Imax 2 and Imax 3 and I feel they are different enough to warrant having both. I enjoy the music on both but I like Imax 3's music even better (but it is not loud enough). Imax 3 has more involved choreography than Imax 2 but it's VERY doable. I think Imax 3 is the hardest of the two. Imax 3 is my favorite of the two but I'm glad I have them both and I won't part with either. They are set up the same way 10 intervals, but I'd say Imax 3 keeps moving a bit more with less break/recovery time. Imax 3 is a favorite of mine!

I love both. Imax 3 has a shorter recovery time and more drills off of the step. The middle blast is killer. Imax 2 is just a great start and training for Imax 3 which is just a tad bit harder but to me just as fun. I think that they are both absolutely worth every penny. When I'm feeling really brave I'll do the blast only pre-mix on Imax 2 and then Imax 3.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.