How would you get back to it??

naughtoj

Cathlete
I have been in really good shape for most of my life. Very muscular and in good cardio fitness. I went through the funkiest slump of my life the last 8 months or so and almost ceased weight training, but kept in a few days of cardio a week. Sometimes, only 2 though, and they were easy workouts.

Anyway, school is ending next week, and I really am intent on taking a break for me so that I can put the focus back where it needs to be...on staying healthy and getting back the muscle I have lost.

How would you slowly get back to the weights, assuming I don't want to do any other video but Cathe? I would like to start back with a 30 min cardio per day/30 min P90X type lifting, but maybe keep the weights lighter? I understand that the weights will have to be lighter...especially since I have lost alot of strength I am sure. How much lighter would you go and for how long before you would think your body was used to it again? I ask because I have a tendency to go all out and then risk injury.

Do I have to start out like a total beginner or can I just drop my weight? Anybody done this?

I want to do P90X (only 1/2 tape per day), S&H, or Hardcore to gain back strength.

What would you do?

Hi Janice.

If it was me, I would play with it a bit...Do a little trial and error on each muscle group to see what weight you feel most comfortable with to start. Jot down the weights you choose so as not to forget and start with that. When you feel something is to easy, up the weight...you will probably progress back to where you were faster than you think!

Best of luck!

~AND~

Have a great work out!

~Wendy~
Due Date: 5/19/05

http://www.bullmarketer.com/modules/coppermine/albums/userpics/Sports/exercise/thumb_exercise15.gif

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?WENDYMIN

Hi Janice,

I am one of those people that cycles on and off fitness with my last break being 5 months. I have found that I don't totally go back to beginner stage but have to cut weight by 25-50% depending on body part. For example, I started biceps at 8# when before I was at 10-12#. For legs it's a 25# barbell instead of the 35-45+# I was using last summer. These weights are for the Cathe weight videos such as ME, PH, SS, and PP. It's been 2 weeks and already I am increasing weights.

I think the weights for S&H or PS could be higher because of the more controlled movements and slower pace. Right now I get out of breath with the endurance workouts b/c cardio fitness has decreased.I know I could lift more if it was slower.

So, muscle memory DOES exist and the body adapts quickly.But, you have to kind of forget what you were doing before and build on what you can do NOW. I think impatience will lead to injury. Then you will really be in a funk. Been there, done that.

Hi Janice, I took the entire month of October off to redecorate the entire second floor of our house. When I went back to weight training, I went down just a step on the weights -- 12s when before I was doing 15s, 10s when before I was doing 10s and so on... It took me two weeks of using lighter weights before I got back on track.

I also remember when I got back to my weights after pregnancy and labor, I went down two steps -- 8s where I used to do 12s, and so on. I was working out until my 7th month after which I just stopped since I was having these strong contractions, and I didn't want to go into premature labor. So all in all, at the time I was off weights for about 5 months.

Since you've been off much longer BUT since I also know you're very strong, I'd say cut down about 30% instead of half just for the first few sessions and see how it goes.

I'd also break down workouts like PS, MIS and Pyramids into chest/back, tri/bi, shoulders/legs, or any other way that you can fit in two body parts per session. I think that realistically, you can only fit in two body parts in 30 minutes, that is if you're using Cathe's workouts. As for P90X, I think you can do the first or second 30 minutes of chest/back and shoulders/tri/bi. Hope this helps.

Pinky

Hi Janice,
I have done this. I just lowered the weights from where I was before. Muscles do have memory. I think I read that it takes about one third of the time lost to get back where you were before. I am sure that at the level you were before and since you are doing cardio sometimes that it will not take you too long.
Diane Sue

Janice:

I'm in the exact same position as you right now.

I am doing about 4 workouts per week, and will increase back to 5 probably next week.

Regardless of previous fitness levels, we always underestimate how tired we will be as we take up the reins of fitness again. We underestimate the toll on the body. So, EASING back into it is the key. A certain amount of humility and self-acceptance are required.

To begin with I start with cardio and upper body lifting. To start straight back with lower body weight lifting is, for me, counter-productive. The DOMS it would give me would be so severe as to keep me from cardio workouts for at least 3 days. To begin with, I prep my lower body muscles simply through doing cardio workouts. The strengthening of the lower body muscles begins immediately.

So, for the first couple of weeks, I concentrate on doing 3 cardio workouts and an upper body workout or 2 if I can manage it.

With the upper body, I start with the most complete and basic program, not PUB or Slow & Heavy, both of which could be crippling. I choose CTX upper body split as it is most thorough. MIS upper would also work. I start at a lower weight than I would usually use, say 20 for chest rather than my usual 30 on the barbell. This is enough. I still get DOMS after this first upper body workout, hurting all along my ribs! The first workout can also be rather deceptive. It never seems to be that strenuous, but it would be wrong to think that consequently, I could really up the weights for the next workout. The second time I do the CTX upper split, it is more taxing than the first time.

I stick at the lower weight for a week or two, to consolidate and let my body acclimatize. During this time I eat really well, and try to sleep more because I can already feel that this is tiring my body more than 6 heavy duty workouts would do when at the prime of my fitness.

I am now at the stage where I have consolidated cardio gains and can start to push further and I am starting to increase poundage for the upper body. Also, last night I did Leaner legs, to begin the lower body training again. I used a 30 pound barbell, with 25 pounds for the static lunges and plie squats towards the end where my energy levels were beginning to flag. Today, I am paying the price, as I knew I would. My butt is screaming, so, no cardio today for me.

My next go with LL will probably be Wednesday and I will stay with the current weight load because the aim is to acclimatize and consolidate, and I know I will not suffer DOMS again. The first time is always the worst and so I expect it.

This week with the upper body, however, I am going to choose 1 or 2 body parts per session for which I will increase the weightload, probably back and shoulders. The first because it is a strong area for me, the second because it is a weak area for me. You choose your own areas. By varying the body parts I focus on with increased poundage over the next two weeks, I should then reach a point where I can get back to the weight loads I used to use with no undue stress on any particular muscle or joint.

Then I will concentrate on increasing the poundage for the lower body, which is a stronger area for me and I know strength will come back easier for me here.

I think I would avoid P90 for at least a month, if I were you. It does not sound like a workout series to start back with. A little more humility perhaps? Patience, and you will soon be right back where you want to be, and not tired and exhausted and frustrated because you pushed too far too quickly.

HTH,

Cheers,

Clare :7

Thank you all with the great advice! It really did help. I don't quite know what I am going to do yet, but will drop the weight 30% or so.

It is nice to know that there are others on this forum that are in the same position as me. We're all slackers!:)

Of course, I didn't come out of it with a redecorated second floor, only a B in Anatomy. :)

Janice,

I have been an advance exerciser for more than 8 years. Then suddenly, I have stopped since last November. I just started last week again. I know my endurance level is way down and knowing I would die from the DOM, I decided to go for it slowly. I am doing one body part per day by using S&H and 30 minutes cardio followed by 5 to 10 minutes cores. I almost got killed during the Bootcamp cardio.

Although I could barely walked next day, I saw the immediate results in my body. Like everyone is saying, your body remembered.

I talked myself from the mirror with a smile, “I am back!”

Bring on Hardcore series!!!.
}( }( }(

Good to know Babybird! Congrats on being back. I really kicked butt this week, I am proud of myself. Got outside ALOT...it was 80 degrees here with full on sunshine the other day. This week has been absolutely heavenly in Phoenix!! It is supposed to last till next week, so until then you won't see me indoors!!:) I am piling up my MP3 player for a LONG skate on Sunday!

Thanks for all the encouragement guys.:) I appreciate it more than you know.

Hi janice:

Glad to hear it's going well for you.

What I said about the expected dreaded DOMS after leaner Legs was entirely accurate! I did LL on Saturday, it went fine, but I couldn't walk for 3 days afterwards!!! Then I did LL again on Wednesday and I am right back to normal again, I am feeling hardly any residual soreness at all, 2 days later, and nothing that would stop me doing my cardio today!

So, yes, muscles have memory: thank God, right?!?!?

Keep on keeping on!

(On another note: how is it going with the depression? Is it lifting at all? I started with a new therapist this week, and as I left her office I felt a merest glimmer of hope and optimism, that things could change and yes, the future could be different from how it has been for the last three years. So...I hope I will get there, sslowly, back to where I want to be. How about you?)

Clare :)

Hey Clare, ol buddy, thanks for thinking of me!!!

I feel ya on the LL thing. Honestly, I barely ever do that workout. To me it is overkill. Plus, you know how I am with the heavy weights and I just can't load the barbell high enough with all those reps! LOL!!

Um, depression is better. I am thoroughly convinced now that I have family affective disorder. Seems that my depressed condition is directly related to time involved with and talking to family. Jeez, I know that sounds really sad, but I actually feel better when I just pretend they all aren't there. I love them, but I don't know how to deal with them. Long story. So......I have been trying to get outside and have some fun, deny family problems, and keep my spirits light (lighter). I took a med for a while but I swear it did nothing for me. I took it for about a month. So, I think maybe I wasn't clinically depressed. I really don't know. I have just decided now that you live the reality you create. Like Tim Robbins says in the Shawshank Redemption, "Get busy livin' or get busy dyin'". Those are words I am living by these days!!:)

I am very interested in talk therapy, but cannot afford that until I get added to hubby's insurance in June. I am glad it is going well for you. How 'bout we climb back on this wagon together???:)

Take care Clare,

Janice:

Don't feel bad about your family thing. We have to do what we have to do for our own emotional and psychic well being, first and foremost. My therapist is convinving me of this need also, that I need to pull back somewhat from my husband because right now he's using me as an emotional punching bag and I have to shield myself from that, let his negative s**t slide off my back and see it for what it is: his problems with his own life, not mine.

You know, I am feeling so much better just three weeks after resuming my exercise again. I did 7 mile power walk on the treadmill yesterday at the skating rink while my girls were skating in classes yesterday, and I could have gone on for hours. I was so totally in control, never out of breath and out-cardioed all the other individuals who came and went in the exercise room!

I'm eating better, sleeping better too, which is important because I have been suffering insomnia and not sleeping til 3, 4 or even 5am. Awful.

I love that film, the Shawshank redemption and yes, it is totally true: the fear of "getting busy dyin" and wasting away any more of my life is what propelled me into therapy this time. My therapist was staggered I had managed to bear up with the load of responsibilities and anxieties for this long and still walk and talk and do Cathe workouts! Sometimes you just reach a point in your life, like I turn 40 in May, when you have just had ENUF thankyou!!!!! of the crappiness of your current mode of life and know that you have to change things now because you deserve better and the only person who can make it happen, with professional help and direction, is YOU! My therapist says it will be a long hard road, but I sincerely believe it can be done and that she does in fact care and will help me.

So, I feel optimistic.

What's your game plan for today's fitness endeavours? I am thinking of either CTX Step & Intervals followed by CTX upper body split, or LL and CTX upper. Oh boy!

Stay well, Janice and talk to ya anon, OK? What's your fave lower body plan then?

Clare

Clare....definitly words of wisdom! Do you see a "therapist"? Is that a MD or a counselor...what are his/her credentials? I am trying to decide between counselor or psychologist.

On the fitness plan today is likely to be nothing. I had to take my Anatomy final at school today. I am elated that I did pretty well, and for sure passed the class....likely with a B. So.........PARTY TIME. I am so glad to be out for a while. School and work has been taking its toll

I would have skated today but my legs are too sore from L&G yesterday. I think I will tomorrow. Load up my MP3 tonite. OOOhhh I am sooooo excited!

Hmmmm, fav lower body? Don't know if I have a fav but typically I like to do one heavy (S&H legs, PLB pyramid up only, PS Legs) and one other workout for legs per week that hits the smaller muscles with more isolation (L&G, P90X Legs, any floorwork). I like this method, it seems so much more well rounded. Plus, with any sort of hiking my legs get some work too, so if I pack in any more lower body than that I will get overtrained. Heavy legs, you know...

On the up side, I have gained back 3 pounds already in just a few weeks of intense exercise. Yes, I GAIN weight. Oh well, I am fitter heavier anyway.........

LOL...your workout list is pretty opposite of what i would do....:) I can't stand the hurried feeling of CTX upper....I am such a strength gal, what can I say.......

TTYL Clare,

I agree with everyone that the key is to ease back into things instead of overdoing it (which is ultimately counterproductive because you'll be tired, sore, and angry and ready to throw in the towel).

I see lots of talk about DOMS here; I used to get this terribly, too. I like having some soreness the next day but if your muscles hurt to touch, you are probably doing too much weight and/or too many reps. I have found, too, that the only thing that really helps the next day is a GOOD stretching session. Stretching really releases the lactaid that builds up (causing the DOMS)...

Good luck getting back into it!!!

Marie

Thanks for the advice Marie! This time around......when I go back to lifting heavy......I am definitly supplementing with Whey protein after my workouts. I just can't bring myself to eat, but realize the need. Maybe that will help a bit with my neverending DOMS....:)

Glad to see you're fighting your way back, emotionally and physically. Please remember, those boundaries you are setting are healthy...not selfish ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.