How much weight does a man need?

Melclear

Cathlete
Hi folks -

DH just asked me to come up with an exercise plan for him, based on my Cathe DVD's. He is 35, doesn't have more than maybe 5-10 extra pounds on him, but knows he needs to exercise to be healthy. His only exercise is long hikes once or twice a week during the summers. He has tried gym memberships in the past, but has never gotten into a lasting routine. He has seen my lasting routine (going on 10 years now), so he now wants to try home workouts, to see if he can find a routine that he will actually do.

I know I want to ease him in gently, and start with a combination of cardio and some weights. But I have no idea how much heavier he can lift. So if I wanted him to try Boot Camp or some other circuit, how heavy should I recommend he go? And if I wanted him to do STS, what weights would he need? I know some of this will have to be trial and error, but we are trying to figure out if he can get a good enough workout at home (without buying a lot of extra weights yet) while determining whether home workouts are right for him. Right now, we have DB's up to 25's (although I might have to buy Walmart's 40# adjustables -- I need heavier and they are on sale today!) and the BB right now goes up to 70#. Is that even close to enough to get him going?

Mel

Just like women, it completely depends on the man. Why not have him do his 1 rep maxes for STS, just to see where he stands?

I agree about STS... in order to train properly with this program and see results you have to do the 1RM tests.

As for Cathe's other DVDs I remember when I did them I went about 5lbs heavier than Cathe in dumbbells and 10lbs heavier for barbell work. But that was me... The safest way is to follow your 1RM for other DVDs (according to reps in the program - look up the reps and weight used in the STS workout cards and go from there) and give it a try. Since most of Cathe's workouts are endurance based I'd say stick to the 60% of 1RM. Although, I must admit that I attempted Body Max 2 using 60% of my 1RM and it was pretty tough...

HTH,

Chris.

I've been after my Dh to start lifting. He does do the Stationary Bike aproximatley 3X per week. But i tell him he needs lifting more.

He asked me if there was something he could do other than videos. He said he tried one of mine one day when i was at work. I asked him which-he didn't know but he HATED working out to a video and asked if there was something else he could do. I told him to just start with a total body w/o at least 2x per week. Do basic exercises like: Squats, Dead lifts, Calf raises, Barbell rows, Chest presses and flyes, military press, tricep Kickbacks, and bicep curls etc.
I suggested he at least put in muscle max and watch Cathe's form because the day i tried to show him how to do tricep kickbacks-OMG his form was terrible and I have no patience. His back was all hunched over and rounded. As for weight I just told him to start with a set of 12# or 15# DB's and he should shoot to do 8-12# reps with good form if that is too easyi than he needs to up it. I figure thats a start and maybe he'll take and interest and go from there.

Good luck

I suggested he at least put in muscle max and watch Cathe's form
Good luck

Just thought I'd clarify that I told my Dh not to do the whole MM workout but just select one exercise per body part and do that. He would never survive MM and he would never want to work out again if he attempted it. 15-20 minutes to start. I'm no trainer but I figure something is better than nothing.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.