How can I clean moldy VHS tapes?

deborahsaipan

I live in the hot humid tropics. During the last typhoon it rained for a week straight, no power (so no lightbulb in my exercise closet to chase away the mold). Most of my VHS tapes got mold on them. I cannot play them. Does anyone know of a way to clean off the mold? It is on the tape itself. If I try to play the tape, it not only gets scratchy, but dirties up my VHS player, which then needs cleaning. Is this just a sign that I need to replace all my VHS with DVDs?
Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Hi Deborah,

I had the same problem at one point & we had no idea how to clean them so DH took them to a professional & they were able to clean/save all but one. Do you have any resources where you are to try that? I honestly don't think they can be cleaned at home.

Good luck,
Ruth:)

Thanks for the response. I don't think anyone here can do that, we are a pretty small place. I'll surf the net and see if maybe I can find someone in AZ where my family lives. Thanks, hafa adai.

Not Guam, further north in Saipan, smaller and I am pretty sure they don't have a service I can trust to clean out the mold. Happy hunting for me on the internet!
Cheers, hafa adai.

Hafa Adai (hello), Ruth.
I will probably have to drag my VHS tapes to Arizona in April and look for a place there. Or, just bite the bullet and finally replace Cathe's VHS with dvd's (although I hear on the tech net that dvd's are soon to go the way of VHS tapes, which irks me to no end!). I have gotten all dvd's lately, but still have some old Cathe on VHS.
Living in Saipan is definitely interesting. Right now we have VOG (volcanic fog) to equal the pollution found in downtown LA. Anatahan island/volcano, about 120 kilometres (60 miles) north, has been erupting for weeks and sending ashes to us south (see www.chamorro.com for pic's). Running on beach road, I feel like I am doing a public service, inhaling all that VOG to save all the kids and old folks from the enormous upswing in colds and such (got one myself, from the vog).
Cheers!
For a different view, check out www.saipansucks.com, vicious, if mostly accurate, assessment of this place, although I still love it after 5 years.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.