Help! New to Cathe..equipment?

Hi everyone,

I'd love your advice on how to best start with Cathe's workouts. I've been doing the FIRM Transfirmer series for six months and have seen amazing results - I've never had muscle definition like this before! The problem is that I hate doing DVD cardio stuff - I hike 3-4 times a week (steep, uphill 3-4 mile hikes) and don't feel like I need it. There are not many FIRM dvds that don't have cardio - plus, I feel like the strength training parts of the FIRM are not challenging enough anymore. This is what has led me to Cathe.

So far, I've narrowed it down to one of these two DVDs to start with:

Cathe Friedrich's Intensity Series: Pyramid Upper & Pyramid Lower Body DVD
Cathe Friedrich's Slow & Heavy Series

Do you think these would be good DVDs to start with? Also, the only equipment I have right now are the Transfirmer steps and 3lb, 5lb, and 8lb weights. I am willing to buy a stability ball and maybe some 10lb or 12lb weights and ankle weights, but can't really afford to buy a barbell set right now. Can I still do the workouts in the above two dvds without a barbell?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!!!!

Hi there and welcome!! Cathe's DVD's are amazing. I think you should begin with the Pyramids. It's a great tape and you only need hand weights. Yes she does use a barbell, but when I started I didn't have one and just used the hand weights and it was more than fine. I would get a stability too, the AB's section of this tape uses one and its so worth having.

If your thinking about getting a second one, my vote would be for Boot Camp/Muscle Endurance. The Boot Camp section is FABULOUS and Muscle Endurance is a great full body weight training tape.

After those 2, it's really up to you....I don't love Step, so I tend to stay away from those, but I did a few because of the weight training parts and have learned to do some of the step stuff.

Good Luck,
Elena

I agree with Elena - but if you don't have a bench step yet - you will find the Pyramid upper body workout a challenge in one area because you need the bench to lie on for the chest flies. You can do them on the floor if you want - but they aren't as effective.

HOWEVER - Muscle Endurance/Boot Camp was the dvd I started with and it really ramped me up. Like you, I started with the Firm (although it was the old stuff - not what you did). So with Muscle Endurance, you are still going to be lifting those lighter weights (just use dumbells instead of the barbell) but I promise - it isn't a Firm workout - you will not be able to get through it the first time. Go very light!

The Pyramid series is excellent. And think about step. I didn't like it at first, but now I LOVE IT - even though I'm a clutz. But one of the most effective workouts I have ever done is IMAX2. It has really made a difference in my fitness levels.

And - it's time to get some 10 and 12 lb weights. You will be so glad you moved to Cathe. You will be amazed at how quickly you will start lifting heavier and heavier weights.

I love Pyramids and Muscle Endurance, too, but I suggest taking a look at Supersets/Push Pull. Done as is, those work outs are at the more intermediate level. You'll need a stability ball, but it sounds like you're planning to get one anyway. And, as you improve, the premixes on that DVD will allow you to start doing split routines and going really heavy. Just my $.02, take it or leave it!

anne

Hello! I also love to hike and trail run. I've been lucky to live in Northern California where I have access to great long hiking trails with varring terrain. I actually couldn't reccomend the gym style series enough (legs, biceps shoulders and back, and chest and triceps). It is my ultimate favorite. I can't even tell you how much this series has helped me with my endurance during long trail runs and hikes.

Thanks, everyone!!! I went ahead and order the Pyramid series along with a stability ball. If all goes well, I am sure I will be on to Boot Camp/Muscle Endurance and the Gym style series and Supersets/Push Pull looks great too.

How often do you do these more muscle building, strength training DVDs? Is as many as five days a week alright or is that too much?

Thanks again!!

New To Cathe

I think you have made some very wise choices. I started with the firm as well. I do strength training 3X a week. I think doing it 5 times a week is over training unless you are doing one body part a day. You may want to consider some of Cathe's interval traing later on. i love circuit training and Cathe's cardio & weights more advanced than the firm.

Thanks, everyone!!! I went ahead and order the Pyramid series along with a stability ball. If all goes well, I am sure I will be on to Boot Camp/Muscle Endurance and the Gym style series and Supersets/Push Pull looks great too.

How often do you do these more muscle building, strength training DVDs? Is as many as five days a week alright or is that too much?

Thanks again!!

Good choice... I think the whole Intensity Series, and also the Body Blast series are the best with all the premixes and they have the best music also.

Do you have the Transfirmer step? Because you can use that as a bench and a high step.

I love the pyramid series ... one caution, chances are you'll get strong quickly with either of those series, and will outgrow your current dumbbells (meaning you'll want new ones beyond the 12). Kind of a good 'problem' to have :) But I've used dumbbells exclusively on the pyramid series with no problem.

BTW, I've been using the Transfirmer step for quite awhile - never much cared for the firm dvds, but the steps been a good investment. It's not as long as the traditional club step, which is why it fits nicely in my small space and why I bought it :) My Transfirmer is an old one, but I suspect yours also might be built to be used for incline work - does it have the grooves in the dark blue piece, so that you can set the light blue one there? It's not quite as comfortable as the longer steps or a real weight bench, due to the shorter length, but does the job. I found I had to be careful about checking to make sure that the lighter top is firmly set in the grooves before using it that way. You could probably also also use a stability ball as an alternate for incline work if your Transfirmer step isn't one that's built for weight work done at an incline; Cathe uses the stability ball for incline work herself in STS and other dvds.

Personally I also find that my Transfirmer step is a little hard on bands if you wrap them underneath it - I think this comes up in Pyramid down - so instead of doing that, I place my foot right on the band instead of putting the band under the step and putting my foot on the step (this will make sense if you run across any exercises like that). My Transfirmer has rougher edges underneath than the club style steps, and those can cause the band to tear.

Last edited:
Thank you, all of you!!! Really glad to know that I can use my Transfirmer for now.

One more question, if I can be greedy with your advice...here's the exercise rotation I am planning: what do you think?

Monday: REST (just a dog walk)
Tuesday: Pyramid Upper
Wednesday: Hiking
Thursday: Pyramid Lower
Friday: Hiking
Saturday: Supercharged Sculpting (A FIRM DVD)
Sunday: Hiking

What do you think?? Is that not enough or too much or?

I think that's a good rotation, especially as you transition from the Firm to Cathe. Is the Supercharged Sculpting total body weights or a circuit? Either one would be fine there, in my opinion.

What you want to do is hit every body part once or twice a week, but no more than that. You can do total body weights 3 times per week, but even that is a bit much, I think. It depends what your goals are. What you've outlined is just right for you at this time. As you progress you might want to go to 3 day splits or training one body part per day, but when that time comes, just ask again. Enjoy your new work outs!

anne

Sounds like a good rotation. My suggestions would be to occasionally change some of your cardio. You said that you enjoy hiking however it is a good thing to keep your body guessing and to avoid overuse of the same muscle groups. I have found that by changing my cardio routine, I actually improve. You may want to try some intervals workouts. Also, instead of, or in addition to, Supercharged Sculpting you may want to do a stretch or yoga routine.

Hi everyone,

I'd love your advice on how to best start with Cathe's workouts. I've been doing the FIRM Transfirmer series for six months and have seen amazing results - I've never had muscle definition like this before! The problem is that I hate doing DVD cardio stuff - I hike 3-4 times a week (steep, uphill 3-4 mile hikes) and don't feel like I need it. There are not many FIRM dvds that don't have cardio - plus, I feel like the strength training parts of the FIRM are not challenging enough anymore. This is what has led me to Cathe.

So far, I've narrowed it down to one of these two DVDs to start with:

Cathe Friedrich's Intensity Series: Pyramid Upper & Pyramid Lower Body DVD
Cathe Friedrich's Slow & Heavy Series

Do you think these would be good DVDs to start with? Also, the only equipment I have right now are the Transfirmer steps and 3lb, 5lb, and 8lb weights. I am willing to buy a stability ball and maybe some 10lb or 12lb weights and ankle weights, but can't really afford to buy a barbell set right now. Can I still do the workouts in the above two dvds without a barbell?

Thanks for any advice you can give me!!!!!

If you are new to Cathe and DO NOT WANT TO SPEND A FORTUNE ON DVDs AND EQUIPMENT, whatever you do, STAY OFF THIS FORUM! I love these guys, but they, and I, are the world's biggest bunch of exercise equipment addiction enablers you ever saw! You think you're able to control it, but just wait! You will find yourself purchasing every DVD Cathe has and buying out the local fitness store in no time flat! We are never so excited as to make a new fitness purchase, and share our news with the forum - at which time the rest of us will go out and do the same thing! If you value your budget, leave us forever before it's too late!

However, if you really love fitness, and really want to drop a few grand in a short period of time, by all means, stay and get to know us! We're a fun bunch, and our obsession is only exceeded by our compassion.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.