Help me buy or talk me out of...

sweaty1

Hi everyone! It is nice to be on Cathe Nation. I love my Cathe...

I need your reviews. I have seen several posts on these but hope that I get a few more opinions. I need the following from the 'educated crowd':

1. Your opinion on chalean extreme. Do I need it? I don't want it to be a 'little' tough. That isn't what i am looking for...
2. Your opinion on Jari Love. Do I need it? Will she kick my butt in a different way?
3. P90X is a little boring to me; I only use it to supplement Cathe and I think I can get those same results using Cathe anyway.
3. STS is in my future. I know I will love it.

I have been working out for over 20 years and consider myself advanced. (Better be after all that time!) I really would like to get more defined and just be the best I can be. (I can lift very heavy; but want more definition;and will eat even cleaner to get it.)

So...do I need Chalene or Jari? If you have them; how do you utilize them? I have most of Cathe's stuff. Thanks!!

Becky

Hi Becky,
I don't have Chalene extreme but I have a few others of hers and don't find them very challenging, not really even a little tough. I consider myself intermediate/advanced.

I have some of the Jari Love DVD's also and I also do not consider them anywhere near the intensity of Cathe. Let's put it this way, I will always choose a Cathe work out over either of these 2.

I also have P90 X and cannot say that it was boring, I felt it was pretty tough and I did get some nice results. However, I did not enjoy it and am so looking forwawrd to STS since I love Cathe's style so much more than Tony's.

Bottom line - based on your post, I would not recommend that you spend the money on Chalene or Jari. Hope that helps a little!

I personally find variety is what keeps me motivated and interested in working out. As wonderful as Cathe's workouts are (and they are wonderful) I simply do not want to do the same thing all the time. That being said, I just realized we are on the wrong forum for discussing other workouts by other instructors so let me stop myself here.

I love Jari Love! Her style is so kind and supportive. Her workouts are wonderful!

I agree P90X is boring. The cardio and leg work are both pretty bad.

Hi! If you have not done this already, you may want to re-post this in "Open Discussion", this section is exclusively for discussing Cathe DVDs, I'm pretty sure you will get a lot of opinions on the other board. :)

I got rid of all my Jari's. I hated them. I haven't bought Chalene Exttreme yet. Waiting for people to post about their results. I'm not sure I'll buy them. I have P90X but can't get passed 1 week on them. I do like Tony and I do like the workouts but I always come back to Cathe.

I just recieved some Amy Bento DVDs. I saw a small clip of her and liked her. I've tried other instructors, but non seem to compare toCathe. Amy Bento seems to me to be like Cathe. I'll let you know after I try one of Amy's:)

To me, variety is the spice of life. I adore Cathe and her work outs but would go out of my mind if worked out with her exclusively.

With out going into detail here I will say that I personally really like some of Jari's stuff and definately find it challenging. I find the Turbo Jam cardios to be tons of fun. The X brought me great results and I just purchased Chalean Extreme based on all of the positive reviews I've read here. I don't plan to start it for another couple of weeks to a month though...

FWIW, I am an advanced exerciser.

HTH!

I just recieved some Amy Bento DVDs. I saw a small clip of her and liked her. I've tried other instructors, but non seem to compare toCathe. Amy Bento seems to me to be like Cathe. I'll let you know after I try one of Amy's:)

I tried Slo-Mo Challenge and all exercises are different than Cahte's and I have to say, Cathe motivates me more:) Amy was good to use as something different, but I like my Cathe:) Kay

I've tried others, and I always come back to Cathe. Now that I have STS, I'm set. It beats the pants off of P90X, IMHO. I actually just sold my P90X. I found it boring and didn't look forward to it the way I look forward to Cathe.

Hi,
I have Chalene Extreme and STS. I personally do not care for the Chalene program and will probably end up on ebay. Unlike STS that first starts out with endurance hers starts out with strength so you go slow in the movements. My main issue is that I don't particularly care for working my upper and lower body simultaneously. I don't like doing sumo squats while doing dumbell curls and other similar movements. I like to be able to concentrate on one exercise at a time because then my form suffers and I can't go as heavy either. But that is just my preference. The program is not cheap either, $150. including sales tax and a ridiculous shipping fee of $20. You get 8 DVD's, two of which are not wo's. One is an audio dvd titled "extreme motivation" which I have not listened to and the other is a tutorial type regarding healthy eating, kitchen makeover, and form instruction using the dumbells and bands. I am by no means an advanced exerciser but I would think those who are might find it boring. However to challenge yourself you just use heavier weights. You can also purchase two additional DVD's seperately for another $50, they are "Fat Burn Challenge" and "Get Lean Intervals"which IMHO is so not worth it. You also get another booklet called Muscle Burns Fat. Nothing earth shattering. Just pics of how to do the exercises, Places to log your before and after pics, instructions of how to use the fat calipers that are included along with a band and other minor incidentals and another book called Fat Burning Food Guide, just a recipe book. For a beginner with no knowledge it is pretty good but if you have been with Cathe for a while this does not compare. BTW, the first 3 DVD's are not much more than 35-40 minutes each. Just my two cents, take it or leave it as Cathe would say. I would rather invest that money into anything Cathe puts out.
Booboo

I don't know a thing about Jari Love or CLX. I have P90X, and I would be willing to give it away at this point. I thought it was boring. IMHO.

I love STS. If you are interested in P90X, let me know by PM.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.