Has anyone tried High Step Circuit Beginners DVD

I was looking for some reviews on the High Step Circuit Beginners DVD that comes with the high step kit for $72.99 on shop cathe.
Is it hard? I haven't done step before. Any sugestions?

I have orderd STS and Drill Max and will most likely get Bootcamp and teh Gym Style series sometime soon.

I want to purchase a high step. I already have the original rectangle step and want the smaller one for STS and Drill Max, Gymstyle etc.
Do you think that it is worth getting the riser kit or just the high step for $34.99 as I already have many risers. Is the High Step Circuit Beginners DVD a good workout?

Mary :)

If you already have risers, then I would say just order the topper. HS Circuit is WAY too easy for me - I got the HS with the 3 DVDs as a bundle. I've only done HS Circuit once - when I first got the set. The other two HS DVDs are more challenging.

Thanks for the advice. I guess I am just a little intimidated with being able to do any advance cheoreography but I should give it a try and see, maybe I will be ok. ;)

Mary :)

HI Mary:

Just my 2 cents... for awhile I just used my original step and turned it long way so that the short end was in front of me, but the problem was I didn't have enough risers to make it tall enough to get the full benefit from the HS workouts... a High Step is very versital and I love mine (just got it a month or so ago) from Sports Chalet (for $59 with the DVD) and I think that Walmart, Sports Authority, etc carries it as well for a little less (not taking anything away from ShopCathe, but you can save shipping if you can find it local - it's the same as what you buy here). the nice thing about having a High Step is that you also get 4 additional square risers that can be used with the Original club step. That in itself is the REAL bonus! As for the workout that comes with it ~ I really like HScircuit! I did just get the HS training last week and it is MUCH tougher, like Princessbear said, but HSC is still a good workout if you are a beginner/intermediate :)

I also have the slanted risers, and would recommend them since you have ordered STS! they will be a good addition and I got mine from Amazon. but you definately need more risers to make this work so if you only have the original 4 risers (2 on each side) that came with the step, then you will either need the HS and risers, or at least 4 more risers to make the slanted risers fit properly.

good luck :)

Last edited:
I'm a klutz when it comes to regular step workouts - and don't find the High Step workouts overly complicated with choreography - plus they are a circuit(?) workout -where you do short bursts of cardio and then follow up with weight work ... Hmmm, I might just do HS Challenge tomorrow.

LOL! Appears I might have to become a temporary Mary for this post! :)

Princessbear/Mary I totally agree with you on the whole step thing... I can't do much more than the basic step, repeaters and corner to corners on the regular step. I literally have two left feet when it comes to anything more advanced than that... I DVR'd a few of Cathe's step workouts from fitTV and after about the first few minutes quickly deleted them! :eek:

oh well, some have it, I don't! but I do LOVE the High Step (reminds me of The Firm's fanny lifter) and I did love those workouts and their benefits to my back side! Now if my knees would only cooperate!

I have a love-hate relationship with my high step.

I got my high step a couple of months ago without the HSCircuit dvd, so I started with High Step Training because I though HSC might be too basic. Well, HST is probably one of the more challenging Cathe routines for me and it gets me good everytime. I love it, so I bought High Step Challenge which doesn't have as much step in it as HST. These two dvds are great, but I'm thinking I'd like to try to do a week of exercise dedicated to the high step but I'm pretty sure I'm not quite up to doing HST or the High Step Challenge more than one time a week. So, I've ordered High Step Circuit to give me a little easier routine to put between the other two. Then I figure I can add in some weight work on other days and I'll be good to go. So, I guess what I'm saying is that sometimes having a little easier routine to go to is not always a bad thing. You keep working but give yourself a little break. I'm looking forward to seeing how this is going to work once I get my HSC dvd, which should be any day now.
~michelle

the high step

High step ckt is definitely in the easier category. However, I really like it. You need a pair of dumb bells, a resistance band, and there is also a stability ball abs section on that dvd. If you have a hard time with step then this is the way to go. Its only got a few minutes of steppy dancy kinds of cardio. Its mostly a circuit workout with a lot of lunges on and off the step. I still get a bit of a cardio burn going but, then again I'm really kind of a beginner too.

Oh boy :eek:
Thanks for the advice, I may just have to get them all (lol)
Dani, I already have about 8 risers so I am good "riser" wise but
if it is a better deal, to get the package why not have more (ha)!
I will check out the stores you sugessted but I ldon't live in the US so
I doubt our store would have them (boo)!
I also, have two left feet and would LOVE to do Imax 2 etc but, honestly, deep down I know it won't be for me.

Another question. Is the Boot Camp/ Muscel Endurance DVD the same Boot Camp workout on the 4 Day Split DVD or are they two completely different workouts? Anyone know? That series looks like lost of fun even if I don't do the Step
parts but just the Kick box and the Boot camp plus weights.

Mary

Last edited:
I don't know about 4DS, but I don't believe that they are the same as BC/ME. I have the later and love both workouts on this DVD! I have actually shy'd away from ordering 4DS because of the step but I don't know how much step is included... I'd hate to order it and only be able to use half of it... for the money I purchased KickMax and BC/ME, but maybe others will have more comments on 4DS. I have seen a lot of posts about how great a 4 day split it is, so hopefully others will have reports on that one... but you can't go wrong with many of Cathe's DVD's :) so that's a bonus in itself!

High Step Circuit

I LOVE this DVD. Since gaining back a lot of my weight I find this fits my fitness level much better than Boot Camp! When I was in great shape I still found this to be a good workout and always kept it in my rotation because of the fun factor! The choreography is easier than most of her step videos. Just a fun little workout that also does a great job.
To see more reviews of this video try amazon.com or collagevideo.com.

Last edited:
I think High Step Circuit is a great video. It may not be as advanced as the other high step workouts, but it's fun and it's still a good workout, IMO. No, I'm no longer advanced (2008 was a rough year for me) but I also have to think about my joints. It doesn't seem to be as high impact as the others, which is very important to me. But it's fun, a great length (for me, at least), and if you are used to harder workouts, it always has its place on a day you want something a little easier but still a good workout.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I have decided I want to get the High Step value pack with the three DVD's. The more basic foot work in the step routines and the fun factor sounds perfect for me.

Dani, Laughing Waters informed me that the 4DS and Boot Camp +ME have two different boot camp type workouts. Like you, I didn't want to order 4DS due to the two step workouts but from what I have read on this forum, the boot camp + kick box (bothe 30 mins, but you can do pre-mix with both of them) along with the 4 strength workouts
make 4DS a very useful series even if I don't use the step workouts. I may also get it too someday. :eek:

Mary

Last edited:
Wanted to add my .02

Not that you asked, but here's my opinion:

I personally really, really like High Step Circuit. High Step Training Advanced is my all-time favorite high step workout, and I love High Step Challenge as well, but I sometimes think High Step Circuit gets overlooked as a good circuit workout. I'm an advanced exerciser (or was until the end of 2008 saw me get chubby and lazy!) In any event, here's what I do to make High Step Circuit tougher. Feel free to try any or all of these modifications to make it a more advanced workout:

-Cathe and crew use 6" for the step portions. Try using 8".
-The cardio portions last 1 min. As soon as the cardio is over, I hit the 'back' button on my DVD player and repeat the cardio. I'm pretty sure the workout still comes in under an hour when I do this.
-When Cathe does repeaters try doing power 3's.
-When Cathe does leg presses with no weights (while using a 10" step), I hold a heavy dumbbell and do them on a 14" step.
-During the other non-weighted leg segments (rear and side lunges, sculpting drill, running man), try holding light dumbbells or a medicine ball - or - don't use weight but up the height of your high step.
-Instead of using 3 lb dumbbells, use 8's or 10's or whatever weight challenges you.
-When Cathe uses the tubing, try to create as much tension with the tubing as possible. For some exercises, you can hold light dumbbells and the handles of the tubing, for added resistance.
- Hold a medicine ball or light dumbbell during some of the abs segments.

Also, I have done this workout on a BOSU and that has really upped the sweat factor.

I thoroughly enjoy this workout. I hope you do, too. :)

Cathe has several workouts that use only the high step (and not the club length step):

High Step Circuit
High Step Challenge
High Step Training Advanced
Push/Pull
Muscle Endurance
Legs & Glutes
Boot Camp
Pyramid Lower Body
Butts and Guts
Gym Style Legs
Pure Strength Legs & Abs
Pure Strength Back & Biceps

4-Day Split Kickboxing (the cardio segment uses no equipment, but the legs segment uses the high step)
4-Day Split Bootcamp (the cardio uses the club length step but the triceps and biceps segments use only the high step)
4-Day Split Lower Intensity Step (the cardio uses the club length step but the shoulders and calves segments use only the high step)

I think that's all of them - not 100% sure. In any event, I think the high step is a worthwhile investment, and I think you'll really enjoy Cathe's high step workouts!!!

Last edited:
THANK YOU SO MUCH Jillybean!!!
Your suggestions are really great ideas :) I can't wait to get this and try it out so I can report back.
I think that I will really like the high step work out and have many of the other DVD's you pointed out where the high step is used on my wish list ;)

Great advice so thanks for posting!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.