FitPrime...on the fence

Stacy

Cathlete
Ok, Catheites...gimme your opinions on Strong Bear and Fast Cheetah. They're a bit expensive so I'm hesitant to purchase them. I'm looking for some cardio/weight workouts that are slightly lighter in intensity to rotate with my Cathe's along with my Slim Series workouts. FYI...not a big fan of The FIRM.

Thanks!

If you don't like the OLD FIRM (Classics) then I don't think, you'll like Strong Bear/Fast Cheetah.

IMHO, those two are well liked because they are easier FPs (Weights First and Core First are tougher).

I would check ebay, mindundermuscle, yaya swap etc. if you can't get them cheaper.

Hi!

I have both and they are great workouts! The music is amazing. I don't know which Firms you are talking about. I don't like the new Firms but I have all the older Firms and they are good workouts. FP is different than Firms. This is why many people don't like FP. As far as price goes you can always order from Amazon which offers free shipping if you spend over $25. FP has frees shipping deals from time to time as well. I will let you know when I see the deal. I am an advanced exerciser. I do mostly FP and Cathe and occasionally throw in some old Firms and SS. They all work well together.

I'm an advance exerciser (not quite as advanced as most on this site) but here's my opinion on FitPrime. For starters I have to say that I really like Tracie Long, so I keep a FitPrime workout in my rotation. FC doesn't utilize heavy weights but I certainly feel a bit of soreness the next day. Strong Bear is great for the inner thighs (although not nearly as hard as Cathe's Leaner Legs, thank goodness :)), and you can heavy up on that one. Go with the previous recommendation to order from Amazon. You'd definitely not have a problem selling it on e-bay if it isn't your style.

I am giving this opinion without reading what others here say.

I have Fast Cheetah, but have not done it.

I have done "Strong Bear" and I like it a lot. I like the use of the ankle weights.

The part I do NOT like is all the balance along with things like French Presses. I find myself concentrating so hard on staying balanced on one leg I compromise my form for the French Press.

The music is good and Tracy Long is a good instructor. She is not Cathe by any means, but she is good. Just more robotic than Cathe.

I also purchased "Time Crunch" with Susan Harris. It is good for balance, but again, I feel at times I sacrifice form with my weights because I am trying to stay balanced.

The verdict to me: They are nice workouts, challenging, and I like the Yoga stretches. But they are not Cathe. I use them for a change of pace or on lighter days.

p.s. I also like "Up and Down" but it is not Cathe level either. But I like the music and the change of pace.

It just cracks me up when people say the FitPrimes (and Firms) are too easy. They are by no means easy unless you are doing them wrong (poor form, not enough resistance). I wouldn't even try to compare the FitPrimes to Cathe because their goals are entirely different in nature. The FitPrimes concentrate on important stabilizer muscles that are deep to (sit underneath) our superficial muscles (the ones we train all the time). Of course there is a frustration level involved when starting out with FitPrimes because most of us never even use these deeper stabilizers. Part of my job is evaluating clients for posture, balance, strength and flexibility. Most of them can lift some pretty significant weight but can't even stand on one foot for any length of time. And many are so tight in the "postural" muscles (hamstrings, hip flexors, chest/front shoulder to name a few), that when they try to do core work, the tight muscles take over for the weaker counterparts. Before they can even begin core work, we have to get them on a stretching program to relax the tight muscles.

Balance work is not a novelty - it is a necessity as we age and enter into our golden years. The falls elderly people take are not due to getting older; it is because those deep stabilizer muscles are so weak due to lack of use.

Cathe gives us some great workouts, but they are primarily designed to make us look asthetically pleasing. *In my opinion*, she often overdoses on sets and reps to the point where I have noticed that many of the topics posted on the forums are injury related. I happen to like the fact that Firms and FitPrimes use less reps. While there is nothing wrong with volume in a workout, and some people need it to achieve their goals, volume day in and day out is going to take it's toll over time.

I would rather go lighter on the FitPrimes and concentrate on balance than try to use a heavier weight because my goal is to train my deeper stabilizers. I save the heavy weights for days when I want to concentrate on pure strength.

Sorry this is so long but as a trainer my philosophies are going to be different than the average exerciser.

-Roe

Gee, do you think you pontificated enough?

Think you got your point across? I love lectures!

I do "Fit Prime" with excellent form. I am a former dancer (which requires superb balance -- as you know if you have ever danced pointe -- arabesques are so easy and require NO balance (NOT)!)

I take issue with your statements that I or some of the other users here are "average" exercisers. There are other trainers and athletes who are forum users with as much knowledge as you.

"Fit Primes" are good workouts, but they are NOT Cathe -- because they are NOT as challenging for me -- and I can only speak for myself. I like them, but they are for "light" days. Some of their compound moves are too much -- you can't focus on one thing for trying to focus on another so it all just falls apart. And while the Firm just keeps preaching "Cardio" -- they are NOT cardiovascular workouts for an advanced exerciser who is accustomed to Cathe Friedrich.

I don't claim to be an expert at anything -- I am just expressing my point of view.

Did Anna send you over to "Spy"?

She once made that statement at a Firm Roadtrip: "Are there any Spies out there?"

Oh and for the record, the ONLY and I mean the ONLY athletic injury I've ever had involved doing a Firm Fit Prime. I severely injured a ligament that required 2 months of physical therapy -- when I explained "Fit Prime" and the moves I was doing, he said that was the most likely source of my injury.

I agree with Roe, when she says that FitPrimes and Cathe are two entirely different types of workouts. I think they are both good. I did injure my calf and it took 2 months to heal doing Cathe. Never with FitPrime. But I still love both types of workouts. It's nice to have variety.

Both workouts are good -- and I daresay injury can occur with either Cathe or Fitprime -- form is critical in both. In my case, my orthopedist said "Fit Prime" was probably the culprit -- specifically "Up and Down" -- all that compound moving -- geez, I would rather FOCUS on one part than be trying to execute disparate moves to fast music.

While making valid points, Roe sounds preachy and almost as though he/she/it is talking down to the rest of we who are "average exercisers." I just think coming to somebody else's forum (which is FREE unlike Fitprime's) to dispense "pearls of wisdom" to the neophytes is a bit much. And to insult Cathe at her own forum is just -- plain tacky.

Both are good workouts, but if I had money to spend, I will spend it first on Cathe, then on the Firm.

Six years or so ago, I thought ONLY the Firm and snubbed Cathe UNTIl she came out with MIS. It was so good, I bought MIC and the rest is history!

Oh, if you order equipment from Fit Prime, do not expect to get what you see either in the ads or in the videos. I STUPIDLY bought a pair of ankle weights from Fit Prime. They have buckles and do not fit like the ones Tracie Long, et al wear. I get furious having to stop the tape to adjust the buckles on those ankle weights.

I have also ordered med balls from the Firm which were NOT as pictured.

Different brand, color, make, etc.

I think Roe makes some valid points. I was doing cathe exclusively about 6 months ago and injured my neck. Her workouts are very intense and I think I was overdoing it by doing them 6 days a week. Now I try to incorporate Cathe, Firms, and FPs. This has been working great for me! They are all great workouts and are each different in their own way. I think it is good to shock your body w different exercises and also training heavy on some days and lighter on others. I hate to see people attacking other workouts. There is room for all kinds of workouts. I have never had a problem w Cathe or FP customer service and love both of them.

FTGU is a great workout too. Heidi is a great instructor. It is a total body workout.

About those injuries....

I can't comment on the Fitprimes or the Firm workouts because I've never done them and probably never will (too many negative customer service stories have put me off.) However, I agree with a number of points made but, I take issue about the number of topics on this forum about injuries being due to exercising to Cathe, Fitprime or whoever. I have *never* had an injury due to exercise and don't know anyone who has had an injury as a result of exercising to a video. I do know several people who needed surgery after incorrectly performing weight lifitng exercises at a gym where people are supervised.

I'm not pointing fingers here, of course it's better to have a personal trainer or supervised exercise to ensure good form but people in general do understand and correctly interpret instructions! I can understand if a person got injured following an instructor with dreadful form who lifts weights at the speed of light! I don't understand how someone could get an injury (outside of a pre-exisitng condition of course) following an instructor with good form, lifting weights at a safe speed and who accurately describes what you need to do. As long as you can understand the language, are in good health and can follow visual cues, it's foolproof. Cathe's Slow & Heavy series would be an excellent example here.

My own injuries are from non exercise related accidents and I can tell you that exercise videos have helped me regain my balance, strength, cardiovascular health, confidence and have taught me more about form, safety and exercise than I have ever learned in a gym. My chiropractor can see the difference and so can I. I have serious core issues and yes, Cathe's workouts have helped a lot. I know you weren't knocking Cathe's workouts, Roe, but I did want to make the point that a Cathe workout *does* help with core stability, strength and with injury rehabilitation.
ATB,
- Lisa :)

I have Weights First and am struggling to want to do it. I previewed it and the production is so archaic compared to Cathe. Hard to get into. Anybody got anything good to say about this one....to motivate me....:)

JANICE

> I have Weights First and am struggling to want to do it. I
>previewed it and the production is so archaic compared to
>Cathe. Hard to get into. Anybody got anything good to say
>about this one....to motivate me....:)
>
> JANICE

Hi Janice,

Give Weights First a try since you already have it. I really like this one. My glutes were sore for days after this one. I also really liked the use of the medicine ball in this one. ;-)

Heidi Tanner and Susan Harris are two very wonderful instructors. I have had the honor of taking classes live from both of them. They are very nice people and are top notch fitness pros.

I also incorporate Cathe, Firm, and Fit Primes. They compliment one another well. Too much of any workout can cause injury.

No doubt that Cathe's workouts are the most intense -- I did "Cardio and Weights" tonight after a hard day of housework and I thought I was going to DIE!

:9

>While making valid points, Roe sounds preachy and almost as
>though he/she/it is talking down to the rest of we who are
>"average exercisers." I just think coming to somebody else's
>forum (which is FREE unlike Fitprime's) to dispense "pearls of
>wisdom" to the neophytes is a bit much. And to insult Cathe at
>her own forum is just -- plain tacky.

Sorry, but you're sounding rather "tacky" yourself. I didn't read Roe's post at all as an attack, but I'm always interested to hear the honest opinions of others. And I don't believe she was attacking Cathe - I'm sure Cathe isn't afraid of someone's opinion, when constructively expressed. She's a big girl, and I'm sure she can take care of herself.

What I hate hearing, is people who attack someone else for their opinions. All you really had to do was say that you disagreed and explained your point of view.

Why can we never have an interesting discussion around here without someone jumping in to attack?

I think some of the moves in the FitPrime tapes, while difficult to do, can really help with balance and coordination and as an aging person (not that old I hope :)), I need all the coordination and core strength I can get.

I love them all - nothing wrong with a little variety in life!

Now who's attacking whom here?

You are attacking me for attacking Roe who attacked Cathe.

The Firm's customer service is awful and having to PAY to be on a forum is the epitome of tacky.

I have met Anna Benson and quite frankly, I can't stand the woman. She once had the audacity to ask a group of us on a roadtrip if any of us were "spies" -- and tell us that most women worked out to look good. Then Roe turns around and says Cathe is for asthetics only! PULLLEASE!

Anna Benson was a pioneer in "her day" when women didn't understand the value of weight training. I respect her creative genius.

Fit Primes are good, no doubt. But I prefer Cathe Friedrich any day. I prefer Cathe as a person, having the privilege of meeting her on two roadtrips and I prefer her workouts.

As far as customer service goes, nobody beats Step N Motion.

So 'nuff said from me.

To each their own.....but it is tacky of YOU to call ME tacky. So let's stop.

Well, personally I just don't like FitPrime workouts. I am a former angel. Yes, I preordered both Weights First and Abs First, which became Core First.
I then preordered FTGU,StBear, Fast Cheetah and U&D.
I've done them all a couple times. Nice workouts, I guess. But, for me, I found some moves plain old odd. And couple simply dangerous for me.
I've decided to clear out my collection of all FitPrimes. I've not used them in months, and I won't be getting them out anytime soon. The couple I've sold already, I don't miss.
If you are curious, get one from YAYA's or E-bay. But don't buy it brand new. They are pretty expensive for vhs format, in my opinion.

A Diatribe - Avoid if you Love the Firm

Thank heavens somebody else realizes that Fit Primes are so-so at best!

The moves are odd -- too much going on at once -- so how can you focus on a body part?

To each her own, but if I am going to spend my hard earned money (and now I am on a very limited budget because I am not working so I can complete my doctoral dissertation), I am going to spend it on Cathe Friedrich, not Anna Benson.

To me, there is nobody who can top Cathe Friedrich -- and she is as beautiful a person inside as she is outside.

I go on a roadtrip for the Firm: Anna Benson is seated on the Throne (instructors are elevated above the class at the Firm). The first words out of her mouth: "Are there any spies here?" I said out loud, "SPIES"? My husband looks at me and I at him. In fact, the whole group looked at each other thinking, "What the heck?"

I go on a Cathe roadtrip: Cathe Friedrich runs up to me, hugs me, and thanks me for traveling so far to visit her and work out with her. We have an awesome workout, go out to a great lunch, go back for a Body Pump class, and then have a pizza party. Cathe pulled out photo albums that she has kept from the filming of every video she has made -- her husband, Eric, and Hampton were all there too! Chris was there. And many of the cast members we have grown to love were there. I met Rhonda, Hope, Lisa, Cedie (who is TINY in person), to mention a few. Pat Kelly, the weights coach was there to answer questions.

Cathe insisted my husband do the Body Pump Class and participate just like the rest of the group.

In the shower Cathe had a HUGE basket with every amenity you can imagine. Shampoo, conditioner, tampons, shower gel, razors, shave cream, Tums, Advil, Vasoline, etc. The basket was filled to the brim with goodies!

That's the difference between a Cathe roadtrip and a Firm roadtrip. NOT ONE of the Firm instructors bothered to eat with us. The Firm has no showers. There was no party, no fun, just mostly aloof people with who acted like "The Stepford Wives" The exceptions were Susan Harris and Heidi Tanner. I wanted to knock Jen Carman's teeth out when she and two other instructors led a kickbox class that went on and on -- they rested between teaching while all of us dropped to our knees. Jen's last smart aleck comment was, "Now go run around Five Corners" -- a place in Columbia, S.C. near the Firm's studio. Beneath those adorable cheerleader looks lies a sadistic taskmistress.

And I have heard Firm horror stories about how Anna was when the Firm first opened its doors in Charleston, S.C. The absurd things she made potential instructors do -- like jump up and down and see if any flesh moved -- well, of course flesh moves if you jump! At least mine does!

Fitprime

I was an angel and bought the first 7 Fitprimes. I sold them all and bought Cathe DVD's. I have not been happier. I don't miss the Fitprimes at all. I did enjoy them, but to me they were the type of workouts that were fun to do a few times and then they got old. I just felt like they were not balanced enough. I always had to think of what muscle was lacking in the workout. They just didn't have that "I could do these videos forever" feeling. I am interested in Susan Harris's because she is who got me started on workout videos.:) I can wait until I can get them cheaper and on DVD.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.