Expensive DVD

jansherman

Cathlete
I recently received Bootcamp/Muscle Endurance, and every time I tried to play it, the sound was bad, or it would skip or pause. I cleaned the disc (following the dvd school instructions), and tried again. It started to play better, but when I tried to remove it from the player, it was stuck.

The tv repairman who came to tell us the dvd part of our tv (our tv has a vhs and a dvd player build it) had been ruined said that the disc was probably slightly warped. Moral of the story - if your dvd doesn't play right, don't try to often or that could be the most expensive dvd you've ever purchased! The dvd was about $45, and the tv cost $900.

The worst part is that I can't even send it back to be replaced, as it's forever stuck inside the player. :(

Ouch! Well I haven't had any bad luck with DVD players, but in the past, I have had VHS (favorite VHS tapes) get stuck and eaten by the VHS player. So far DVD's have been very very good to me! :D

Jo

i have heard lots of complaints about those built in dvd players. also dvd players DO wear out easily just ask my samsung and my jvc both which i had to take apart to retrieve a dvd(which all of play normally in my RCA player and sony player now).

sorry this has happened but hopefully a way for you to retrieve your disc so you can at least try to get a replacement.

kassia

I don't know if this will work but try knocking on the top of the player when you press the eject button.

Sorry that happened.

Your TV isn't ruined, though. You can pick up a DVD player for less than $100 that you can connect to it and still use it that way (unless it doesn't have the connections for that).

I personally would never buy a TV with a built-in DVD player or video player (unless it was a good deal and I just bought it for the TV part), since the lifespan of a TV is many times that of either of those players.

Uh oh, I feel terrible! I was the one who suggested you try cleaning it. Sorry about that!

anne

Cleaning it was a good suggestion. In fact, when SNM replied to my email about replacing the disc, they suggested that I try cleaning it first.

I looked at the disc, but it didn't looked warped to me. I'm going to hook up an old player to the tv so that we can still watch dvds on it, but I'm bummed that I can't send in back for a replacement - I really loved that one!

Cleaning it was a good suggestion. In fact, when SNM replied to my email about replacing the disc, they suggested that I try cleaning it first.

I looked at the disc, but it didn't looked warped to me. I'm going to hook up an old player to the tv so that we can still watch dvds on it, but I'm bummed that I can't send in back for a replacement - I really loved that one!

Is it possible that your DVD player was just dying anyways and the DVD had nothing to do with it? Or had you tried it in another player to? I'm surprised the TV repairman didn't remove the disc for you.

No, the tv is fairly new, and it worked fantastic on other discs. The repairman said that he would have to destroy the player in order to remove the disc, and since it's a permanently installed in the tv, he didn't want to take a chance and damage the tv. He pushed the tray back inside the tv so that it's not just hanging out. It's our main tv set in our family room, so we didn't want him to do anything that would make it look horrible.

I've had people to work in the electronics industry warn me to never buy the built-in units (the only exception would be like an inexpensive little counter-top model for a kitchen or something), because the DVD units in those are notorious for being problematic.

Just wanted to let everyone know how exceptional the customer service is at cathe.com. They are sending me a new disc, even though I can't return the old one. My husband finally ripped out the in and out tray, and we still can't get the disc out.

Cathe and her people are truly amazing, and give the term "customer support" a whole new meaning.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.