DH helped me break through in PUB - could help you

JulieL

Cathlete
So I've done PUB for awhile and have been having a rough time w/the bicep segment. I had to use low weights for all of it to get through it (5, 8, 10). I wanted to up my weights (my biceps are my weekest point I think), so I tried 8, 10 & 12lbs. Well I couldn't do it, my form was aweful, my biceps were screaming, I just couldn't do the set through. So I was talking to DH about it and he was telling me people can usually use more weights doing the hammer curls, vs the basic bicep curl. So today I did the biceps today doing 8 hc, 5 tr.bc/ 10 hc, 8 tr.bc/ 12 hc, 10 tr.bc AND IT WORKED!!! I was able to do the whole set w/good form! So I think this maybe key for pulling through to lifting more weights for the biceps for me.

Just thought this might be helpful to someone else out there. You novice gals probably already knew that:)

That is so great! Form is everything...wait, where have I heard that before?:7

Hopefully, this will be the kick start you need to "uping" the weight on the bicep work!

Nice job and thanks for sharing!

Sarah

Julie I think that the bicep work in PUB is the toughest IMO. I am happy that you found something that works for you;-). Another suggestion that I do when I was trying to up my weight was doing 10,10,12 and I went from 10,12,12 and now I can do 10,12,15. It took me a really long time and sometimes I find it still hard when I am in the middle of doing the 15's where my bicep is screaming.

You could also try switching the order of the exercises around: starting with regular curls, then finishing each set with hammer curls, since your biceps are preexhausted by the regular culs. Also, put a slightly longer pause between supersets to let your muscles recover a bit longer. Eventually, you'll be able to omit the extra pause.

Got to try this. My biceps are my weakest point also and I can never get throught the complete section. Thanks for the info.

That's some great information. Thanks. Do you have any input on the shoulder work? That is my weakest area. I try to do 3,5,8, but the 8 kills me. Form is terrible. I usually end up doing 3,5,5. Does anyone make 6lb weights? How else could I up the increment without going to 8? Thanks. Phyllis

You could also take a short break during a set. For example, if you're doing 12 reps with 8 lbs., stop when you get to muscle failure, rest for a few seconds, then try to eek out the remaining reps (with good form, of course). Another idea is to do as many reps as you can with 8 lbs., then drop down to 5 lbs for the remainder of the set.

Or, you can buy platemates. Here are some related threads:

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?...opic_id=3928&mesg_id=3928&listing_type=search

http://69.0.137.118/dc/dcboard.php?..._id=104426&mesg_id=104426&listing_type=search

Good luck!:)

I acutally have a set od 1.25 placemates that I bought for my son, but they are donut shaped. I guess I have to buy the ones that fit on hexagon DB's. Do you think that is the only way to go? Phyllis

Hi Phyllis! They do sell 6lb dumbells. I have them. I also have 7lb too. It really does help with your shoulders. Now I am able to use 8lb dumbell.

Do donut-shaped platemates not work on hexagon DB's? If not, I think you should buy some hexagon-shaped ones. Platemates are expensive but, to me, they're worth every penny. I have a hard time gaining muscle, and platemates have allowed me to incrementally increase my weights. I probably wouldn't have been able to increase at all otherwise. I have two sets each of the 5/8 lb ones and the 1.25 lb ones. I use them all the time.

Does anyone know if placemates will fit on 5lb hex dumbbells? I would like to purchase them if they do. Thanks in advance. Phyllis

I tried this recommendation when I did PUB this weekend and it worked! I felt like I was cheating my arms out of something, though! ;-) I mean, my biceps weren't screaming at me at the end of that final set like they usually are. I might even be able to go up in weight now that you've opened this new door for me. :7 Thanks!

Oh yeah, I always find hammer curls easier and can do heavier weight with them. I think it must be because of the way we lift things in our daily tasks. I never lift in the way you do when doing a regular bicep curl. My least favorite curl is the Crazy Eights! I hate those nasty things!

For shoulder (and tricep) work, I hold on to my lightest barbell plate (1.25 pounds) in addition to the 5 pound dumbbell. This worked great and enabled me to move up to the 8 pound dumbbell for both shoulder and tricep work.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.