defined, muscular arms ???????????

D

Denice

Hi all, Can you tell me to achieve that defined lean muscular look in yout arms and shoulders etc.. will the slow and heavy series do the trick or is that not the way to go????? Do I need a different type of weight tape????????????

Denice.

We are all so different....personally, I get the best results from the PS series, and I can see that the S&H series will give very similar results. I have been doing PS and S&H this last 6 weeks, and can see my triceps and shoulders responding very well.

Thanks for your response, I just ordered, power hour, ps series and s&h along with cardio kicks, so we will see how it goes. What do you do for your cardio? I am doing some firm tapes, how do you think that will work as a rotation with the cathe tapes I bought??????? Thanks! Denice.

Hi, Denice,

The key to getting those arms is to lose the layer of fat over them.

For me, that means pure cardio, not the cardio/sculpt of FIRMs. I use FIRMs more for sculpting than cardio because although I love the FIRM, their cardios just don't do it for me. I love Cathe's step tapes too much. I also run 3X per week.

So, I would watch what I ate, do strength work with concentration on the arms and do 45-60 minutes of pure cardio 4 or 5X per week.

Of course, you need to listen to your body and back off or challenge yourself.

Hi madnnatsmom, Can you tell me how long and far dod you run????? I have a pro form treadmill and wanted to start running and or walking for extra cardio, what would you suggest for the incline spped and duration???? denice

muscle definition

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Aug-16-01 AT 03:50PM (Est)[/font][p]While I would agree that cardio helps you burn fat, I have also found that doing a rotation with less cardio and more intense strength also helped me drop a few pounds. I heard there was an article in Self that said that weight training burns more fat than cardio. I am not a fitness expert but I have found that once I reach a plateau I need to switch routines, which means changing the relative amounts of cardio and strength.

For instance, instead of doing 4-5 days of cardio and a couple of days of strength, I switched for a while to Cory Everson's Basic Sculpting System or Cathe's Pure Strength twice per week (that's a lot - once plus a full body strength workout is easier to fit in) plus 3 days of cardio. Right now I have a lot of time so I increased my cardio to 5-6 days on top of the strength training.

And, let's not forget diet. I hate dieting, but I have found that keeping track of my calories and eating smaller, frequent meals has really made a difference. Being conscious of my caloric intake helps me say no to that Haagen-Dazs ice cream bar because I would rather have a small, healthy snack or meal for the same number of calories.

Whoops, I'm starting to get preachy. I have just found that there are so many parts to the equation of getting lower body fat and more defined muscles...

Caroline

Hi, Denice,

I run for an hour, for 6.5 miles.

If you are brand new to running, you're going to have to start slowly until you build your "running" muscles. (I was impatient and did too much too soon and was sidelined for a month. Not fun!)

You can do such great things on a treadmill. Do you have the programmable one? If yes, you can do some intervals alternating between walking and running. At first, you'll mostly walk and gradually work up to running the entire time.

Check out Kicksports.com for their "couch to 5K" program. Many new runners have had great results with this program without injuries.

Do remember that whether you walk or run, you burn almost the same amount of calories. Walking just takes longer (and running is more fun, IMO, and you can't beat that "runners' high"! :D).

Good luck and let me know if I can help in any other way. I always love encouraging people to try running.

MadnNatsmom

How long did it take you to work up to that distance? This is my third week of running and I almost ran a mile yesterday. I think I could have but I so want to be careful and not push too hard. I have never run for exercise before and it definitely is not a natural thing but I really am enjoying it...a lot more than I thought I would. How far could you run when you first started? I am going to check out the website that you mentioned. I never thought I would be a runner but I feel that it is possible now. Thanks for your help!

Kelly

madnnatsmom, Thanks for all the info, and yes I have a ifir.com treadmill that i can do tapes with a personell trainer sort of thing and my treadmill does have preprograms, so i am going to encorporate that into my rotation thanks alot denice

?

RE: MadnNatsmom

Hi, Kelly -

When I first started running (re-started, I should say, after baby #2) I ran as far as I could, could have SWORN I'd been running for at LEAST 15 minutes, looked down at my watch and almost cried when I saw that FIVE minutes had past!

It took me almost 9 months to reach that distance and duration (including the month I was sidelined with an injury because I was a hot-dog). You're smart not to push yourself too hard. Running is VERY high impact.

If I can run, anyone can run. I was the anti-runner. HATED it! I would run 30 mins max on the treadmill and be bored to tears, and quit as soon as I lost the weight I wanted.

Then I got a taste of the road. I have a great running path near my home.

Good shoes are a MUST! Like with any other sport/exercise, you should educate yourself as much as possible to avoid injuries.

Running is not for everyone and it is very tough, but if you do it smart and stick to it, it is SO worth the effort.

Good luck to you!

Thanks for your reply. I know how you felt when you only ran 5 minutes and seemed much longer. I hope it gets a "little" easier for me. I will just take it slow and hopefully in a few months I will feel like a "REAL RUNNER".

Kelly

I just read that 68% of runners will end up injured. I love running but it is a potentially dangerous sport with all the impact. To ensure you do it safely make sure you have good running shoes, increase your mileage by no more than 10% per week and strength train those legs.

Have you thought about signing up for a race? Training for a race is great. The encouragement you get is amazing! My first run was all of a mile. I completed a marathon in 1999 just because I could! Running made me an athlete!

;-)Bobbi

MadnNatsmom
I thought you'd be interested to know that reading your post inspired me to start running again today. After 4 months of nothing but step, I decided I needed to cross train again. I had a great 4.5 mile run. I ran easy (10 minute miles) and it felt so good to be outside. I am amazed at what 4 months of straight Cathe can do for your fitness level. I felt so much better today than I ever have after not having run for a while. I know I won't ever have the anatomy to be a "runner", but what you said about getting a taste of the road made me want to get out there. I listened to some great music and had a blast. I am going to try to get out a couple of times a week. Thanks for sharing with everyone.

frostyjan

I'm so glad to hear that!

I remember going through a long hiatus from running because I was so addicted to doing Cathe's tapes.

But, Cathe's tapes are so challenging that I was able to get back into running without starting from scratch.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.