considering buying a video

daisyheather

Cathlete
Allright ladies, after a week of lurking on this site I am ready to ask my questions. :) I mostly work out at my gym- step classes, sculpt classes, spinning and cardio machines. However I am a little worried about taking my ninth month old to the gym nursery too often because he seems to pick up a lot of germs there. So I am wanting to buy a few videos so that I can work out at home on days that I can't make it to the gym. My main problem is equipment. All I have at home is 5 lb weights. So if I get a weight tape I probably will need to buy heavier weights. Also I don't have a step. It seems like most of Cathe's video need a step. The other concern I have is that I would be working out on carpet. Not like thin aerobic room carpet, but plush living room carpet. Is that safe for high impact aerobics? I can just imagine tripping and hurting myself...yikes! Is there anyone here who works out on thick carpet and make it ok? Also I am thinking about starting out with either PowerHour or Body Max. What do you all think? Any suggestions would be great. Thanks, Heather

Hi! I guess the answer to your question would depend on how much money you were willing to spend. I'd say 99% of Cathe's tapes use a step in some way even her strength training tapes where she uses it as a bench for chest presses etc. The only one I can think of that doesnt use a step is the hi/lo section of Maximum Intensity Cardio and Cardio Kicks. A full size step will run about $80, but definitely worth the investment. The shorter steps are cheaper but not safe for Cathe's step tapes. As for her strength training tapes I'd say it's a safe bet that you'd at least need to add 8, 10, and 12 lb dumbells to your set. However Power Hour uses a barbell mostly. I'm guessing you can substitute dumbells but I havent tried it yet. But my guess is that this tape is much more effective using a barbell. Body Max uses a step, but the strength portion of that tape uses dumbells for at least half of it if I remember correctly. So, to make a long story short, I'd get a long step for starters so at least you can do alot of cardio at home and maybe continue to do weights at the gym.

Just my two cents,

Stacy

I would invest in a step. I have one of the Reebok steps and it is great. It cost about $80. I used to workout on carpet. I was not worried about tripping or fallng, I was more worried about my carpet! I mashed it down so bad and now it looks horrible. I have since moved to the kitchen and got me a rug to work out on to save my carpet. I like that much better. I do Cathe's Circuit Max with 5lb weights and that is all I need. But I think you might want to invest in a step if you want to do her tapes.

Well, as far as equipment I agree with purchasing a Reebox Step, you can use this not only for stepping, but for many other exercises. Depending on how many times you will be working out at home could determine the need to purchase more dumbbells and/or a barbell. I purchased my barbell complete set with 2 10lb, 2 5lb & 2 21/2lb set from Reebox Power Flex, and I think the price was about $50 -$60. Circuit Max requires a step and 5-8 lbs dumbbell, Cardio Kicks requires no equipment, MIC requires a step only, and I believe all the others do require either a barbell and or dumbbells of various poundage, unless you just want to start with the 5lbs you do have.
Hope it helps.

Oops, I forgot to mention one of my favorite, Rythmic Step only requires the step, and it's so much fun.:7
Absolutely love it!

Yes, I agree with Madonna about the carpet. My carpet is already worn out by my children - so we are at the point we don't really care. If you still worried about tripping, I have read that most people here recommend great mat, www.greatmats.com.

You need to invest in a good club size step. It is the BEST investment I have made by far. I got mine at www.fitness1st.com for $65. They also have dumbells at good prices there. I also bought my Troy Lite Barbell there. Shipping was not too bad (40lb Barbell set was $12). I know this sounds like a lot of stuff to buy, but they are all good investment, if you plan to keep exercising at home. I found that exercising at home is much more convinient - I pick the stuff I want to do at the right time. And no time wasting traveling to and from gym. I basically give up my gym membership for now...

Hope this helps.

Haslina

p/s
You might not have to get Barbell immediately. I used to weight lift with dumbells, exclusively. You can modify most exercises with dumbells (I have not done Power Hour - so I don't know about Power Hour). I like dumbells just because I cheat if I use Barbell (my weaker side does not work as hard!).

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.