CIA videos ???

cathe4me2

Cathlete
Hi Everyone,
I was wondering what CIA videos you use for variety? I'm looking for more cardio to put in my rotation just to spice things up a bit.
I've looked at the reviews at the CIA website, but I would like your thoughts and ideas. I saw that they have some new videos, have any of you tried them yet? I forget the Titles right off the top of my head. I'm advanced and I workout 2 hours (most) everyday. I love love love Cathe, and I've been rotating her videos exclusively since April....from Step Heat to the new Slow Heavy series. ( I put that in, just so you know where I'm coming from....sometimes I don't know myself..:)

BTW, I'm the one who was asking about Migraines in another thread. My neurologist has me on an experimental medication they think will help chronic pain. This migraine tour has lasted 2 months!!! GRRR. I think I would have died without Imitrex and Maxalt. I'm now getting some relief, by getting to the cause of the pain !!! I will update you on my progress soon. All migraines are different, but if this works and can help any of you that has chronic pain, I'll be sure share it with you. :)

Thank you so much for your input...
Your friend from Indiana where the corn and bean harvest is in full swing....(thought I would give you a virtual reality picture of what it is like here...LOL....)
Wanda

It is not particularly new but I have CIA 9804. It features 3 separate 30 minute step routines with 3 different instuctors. I really like the 2nd and 3rd routines, but not so much the 1st.

The third would be my favorite. It involves relatively complex choreography and builds a routine from beginning to end. Time goes by because we are continually learning another move and adding it to the previous ones till, in the end, we take it from the top, each side. Totally on the step, nothing on the floor.

The 2nd is a little more athleticand powerful, and involves what I perceive to be about 4 separate routines within it (although it isn't broken down as such). One routine is a good squat routine. Time goes by here too because it changes up and doesn't seem repetetive even though it is not highly choreographed. A few steps take place on the floor.

I don't like the first routine so much because it involves too much movement across the length of the top with one foot already on the step--sort of like Cathe's lunges at the end of BodyMax (when she lowers the step height). I find that difficult as short as I am. Because of that, which occurs right at the beginning, I can't really get into this routine.

Ultimate verdict -- glad I have it. Worth the money. Jeanne

I have a few CIA videos. Some good, some not so good.

I have 9801 which features Christi Taylor. I just do the step routine but there is also a hi/lo on the same tape. I love step so that is usually what I pick over anything else. It is very good if you like Christi, which of course I do!

I have 9806 that has Shannon and Allison. They are sisters and have put together a good routine on this video. I am not sure you would consider it advanced though.

Andre Houle's newest advanced step video is extremely good. He is fun to workout with and it is all around a good routine. I like the music in this one. I have the new hi/lo but haven't tried it because it looks like it takes up too much room...which I don't have much of.

I have a few others but have not actually tried them out yet so I won't comment on those. With CIA there are really good ones and really bad ones so you have to be careful with what you get. It helps to be familiar with some of the instructions.

Maybe this will help you a little!

Kelly

I like Mindy Mylrea: Intervals 2101 with Pump Party; Action Packed Work Out and Slammin' Sports Cardio.
Older, but good, too is Jennifer Mills 8003 Double Crunch. I love her attitude. It is half hi-low; half step.

Migraines

By the way, just heard a story where one theory is "too much iron in the diet" causes the dilation in the brain leading to migraines. For what it's worth...I don't suffer from them, but did hear this just tonight.

RE: Migraines

I forgot about Mindy. I have Action Packed and Slammin Sports. I haven't done Slammin but I have done Action Packed. I would consider these advanced. Mindy is very nice to workout with.

Kelly

My faves

There is so much variation in the CIAs, you really do have to be careful about what you choose. Also, there are some that are produced by Greg Twombly and sold at the CIA website, but aren't actually CIAs that deserve consideration as well. Here are some of my faves:

CIA 9801 with Christi Taylor -- this is one you only want of you love complex, rather dancy choreography. It has complete ( with separate warm ups and cooldowns ) hi/lo and step workouts.

CIA 9704 with Franny Benedetto -- this is much less complex and more athletic than Christi's choreography. It has some fabulous music! It has hi/lo and step with only 1 warmup and 1 cooldown.

CIA 9908 with Jennifer Mills Palmer -- Jenifer is goofy and fun and I just love her workouts! This has complete hi/lo and step workouts. There is a great ab section at the end of the step that is unique and very effective. A word of caution is that if you don't like a lot of taking it from the top, this isn't the video for you. Jennifer does a lot of it. It's much less repetitive in the step section, which is one of my all-time faves. I have to say that I don't mind the taking it from the top, so my viewpoint on that might not match someone who is driven batty by TIFTT. :)

CIA 9802 with Faith Scarinzi -- an under appreciated video, in my opinion. Faith does a great job of putting together challenging choroegraphy and cueing it very well. This has hi/lo, step, and sculpting with tubing and body bar with a single warm up and cooldown.

2K04 Kicked Up Step with Becky Chamberlain -- only 1 cardio workout, but a neat combo of kickboxing and step. There is also a toning segment with tubing. I usually skip to the abs, which are very challenging! The music is good and the choreography combines the step and kickboxing very smoothly. You have to overlook Becky's choice of wardrobe. All of the background people are dressed reasonably, but Becky is in a shiny silver outfit that is truly unique. :)

CIA 2104 with Gay Gasper -- a solid intermediate level step workout video with toning at the end. Gay is fabulous with her cueing and the choreography is a lot of fun. It's not Christi-level complex, which is good. My brain can only take so much complexity in 1 week before I need to give it some time to cool off! Again, I usually skip over the toning.

CIA 2102 with Shannon Salisbury and Alison Boyd -- if you're looking for a "change of face" from Cathe's weight workouts, this is a great choice in the endurance category. The sisters do a tag team teaching approach and hit you with a great hi rep/lower weight routine. You're using a barbell, not the usual tubing that CIA instructors usually gravitate toward.
The negatives are: less than wonderful form, which we've all learned well from Cathe so you should be okay, and the music is a bit too quiet.

Non-CIAs that are available at the CIA website:

Andre Houle's Advanced Step -- Spin alert! I adore this video, but I take out a spin here and there to avoid getting too dizzy. Andre DOES love a good spin! But since he always builds up to the turns, you can easily stick with an earlier variation when he throws in one too many. :)

G-Force's Super Step -- A very fun, somewhat shorter step video ( 53 minutes total ) that is an intermediate intensity. The guys are great and it's a video I enjoy having for days when I'm not out for a killer intensity workout.

Kristen Kagen's Step This Way -- my current obsession! I love this video! Kristin doesn't take a lot of time to slow down and break down the moves, so it can be chalenging to pick up. But once you have it, the time just flies! There's no danger of getting bored with this tape anytime soon! Her abs at the end are fantasic too! It's a longer video. I think the step section alone is 53 minutes or so.

I didn't list any Mindy videos just because they are so high impact that I have to do them on rare occasions, even though I love them. But too much Mindy starts my feet, ankles, and knees complaining.

Wow! This got long! I hope it helps, if you were able to get to the end! ;-)

Erin

I just knew all of you wouldn't say: "Save your money. What you are doing is plenty, you have enough videos...LOL :) Thanks for your suggestions..I feel more comfortable when buying a video, with a new to me instructor, when I hear the reviews from people I trust. SOOOOOO...now I need to go shopping...
I've not been able to get on the CIA website today, but Cathe has a link to G&R Video and they have a few CIA videos. Where did you buy yours?

( Murph, thanks for sharing the Migraine info with me.)

Hope everyone is okay and enjoying the beautiful fall days. I envy you who live in New England to see all the colors. We have some colorful trees down in Brown county, South of Indy, but nothing like out East. :-( Guess you can tell I love fall...

Thanks again
Wanda

Most of mine came from CIA

I got a couple from Collage. Most of mine came from the great deals offered at pre-order time or on one of Greg's sales. With pre-orders you're taking a risk because you just don't know if the videos will live up to their promise, but I've gotten some real jewels that way! And with the VF exchange and the Firm Swap, not to mention ebay, there's always a way to unload an unwanted video, either in trade for something you DO want, or to get the $$ to buy more videos! ;-)

Happy Shopping! Let us know what you decide to order!

Erin

I have to agree with ErinF. I have most of the CIA videos and most are very good especially the one from the past several years. If you choose any that Erin has listed I am sure you will be satisfied.
Deb

Hi Again,
Rats!!! I tried all afternoon, yesterday, trying to log on to the CIA video website...oops...once I got the REAL CIA....(scarey!! :)
I tried typing in Greg Twombly, and they both say "web page not available." ??? I tried all of Cathe's links but no success.
At Collage and the G&R Videos, they have some CIA's but not the ones you reccommended.
They have: 9701,9702, 9802,9804,9809,9901,9903,9904,9905,2k04,2K06,2K08,2104,
Cardio Step Attack, 2 Jammin' Workouts, Real Athletic Workouts,
Christi Tayor's Still Steppin', The Stepping Zone and Step Heaven,
They did have your reccommended Kristen Kagen's Step This Way, though.
Hope this post isn't looking like a CIA video advertizement....I was just looking for another cardio....:)

Outside of your suggesstions of going on the 'sell or trade' sites, if these are the only videos that will be available to me, have you tried any of the ones listed above?

Thank you so much,
Wanda

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.