Cardio Intensity?

hammiehaack

I'm fit. I'm at my ideal weight. What I do is ride a stationery bike 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes. I ride at medium intensity usually being able to complete a 7 mile ride in the changing terrain setting in 30 minutes. I am also very dedicated to doing varying 6-week rotations of Cathy's weight dvds. My question is: Do you think that kind of cardio is enough? I don't need to lose weight, but am curious about all of Cathy's more itense cardio DVDs and wondering if you gals do them because they're fun or do you do them because you have to to lose or maintain weight?

So in essence my question is, do you push yourself to do more than you have to as far as cardio or do you do it because you want to?

So in essence my question is, do you push yourself to do more than you have to as far as cardio or do you do it because you want to?

I do it because I love it. I don't really need to do so much cardio, but I "marry" it with cross-training cardio (i.e., Cathe, elliptical, bike, treadmill, etc.). I haven't lost any weight with the cardio because I keep my calories high enough. I love fitness, but if I were training for an event, I would definitely push it more with that specific sport training (e.g., running--I would run; biking event, I would bike more, etc.). I also tell my clients the same thing. It's the prinicipal of specificity--train for the event to which you're training. If you're not training for an event (like me), I use cardio for lots of fun, which is why I break it up into different types of cardio.

If you're really looking to lose weight or gain mass, train for that type of activity.

Happy training!

My reasons for doing Cathe's cardio DVDs are threefold:

1. For the high. It's like a drug. Ha! Can't get enough. Cathe's my personal drug dealer, so to speak. :D ;)

2. Fat loss. I'm a meso-endo and have found lots of cardio plus heavy weight lifting gets me to where I need to be. PLUS, eating clean.

3. The challenge. I've done aerobics classes at the gym, and while they were tough, they did not compare to Cathe's. No way, no how. Cathe is in a class all by herself.

I'm not sure if you have any of Cathe's DVDs. Or if you do, but are just a little scared to try them. If you don't have the equipment you could always go with one of her kickboxing DVDs and start there. I have found, for myself, that variety is the key to consistently working out and not getting bored. So in addition to doing step aerobics and kickboxing with Cathe, I also run and use the elliptical at the gym. So that's just my two cents. :D

variety

Hi,

I would cross train some for your cardio. Cycling is like running; great cardio, but just a very repetitive movement that works the muscles the same over and over. Sometimes it's important to challenge the body in different ways (laterally or different muscular focus, etc.) It will help to improve overall musclular fitness and balance, and prevent the eventual boredom and plateau that you might encounter if you continue to do the same thing over and over:)

Tracy

Tracy´s comments are right on the mark.
As far as doing cardio, I do it for fun, the challenge, but mostly to keep my heart in shape!

I'm fit. I'm at my ideal weight. What I do is ride a stationery bike 3-5 times a week for 30 minutes. I ride at medium intensity usually being able to complete a 7 mile ride in the changing terrain setting in 30 minutes. I am also very dedicated to doing varying 6-week rotations of Cathy's weight dvds. My question is: Do you think that kind of cardio is enough? I don't need to lose weight, but am curious about all of Cathy's more itense cardio DVDs and wondering if you gals do them because they're fun or do you do them because you have to to lose or maintain weight?

I love cardio! I do push myself with my cardiovascular exercises.

I hope Cathe does a new cardio workout. I am so sick of weights.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.