burning fat and toning with morton neuroma

susieesmith

Cathlete
I have recently developed a morton neuroma (diagnosed myself) and trying to avoid surgery but would like a suggestion on a great w/o that incorporates burning fat and toning muscles without hopping up and down on the step. I love Cathe's step dvd's but it is killing my foot. I have recently lost 30 pounds and want to keep it off but need suggestion dvd other than step.
Any suggestions??

I've got a torn achilles and post tibialis tendon. My left foot can't take too much jumping either. I bought Ellen Barrett's Yogini, Fat Burning Fusion, amd Slim Sculpt. They may not seem like much, but you will feel it! Also, if you hold 3lb dumbells or have weighted gloves, it really increases the intensity!! They're not Cathe, but then again, who is?? LOL!

Amy

thanks

Amy,
Thanks for your advice on the other dvds. I will look them up. I havent done anything as far as exercise all week and feel the weight already coming back. I have worked too hard to gain it all back. There are some days I cant hardly walk on my foot without pain, so I guess I am going to have to break down and go to doctor.
Hope your foot is doing better. Have a great week and thanks again!!!

I would go see a podiatrist. I have had a MN for oh about 3 years now and have gotten 3 steroid injections on different occasions. It always calms it down enough for me to resume my stepping activities. There are options besides surgery ;)

I have foot problems too

Surgery shouldn't be the first thing the doctor recommends. If it is, see another doctor.

They should start with an assessment of the foot including x-ray's. They should then try taping the foot to see if added support in the arch might help or possibly one of those booties for broken toes which look goofy but keep you from bending your foot.

They will probably recommend anti-inflammatories and possibly even a cortisone shot to bring down the inflammation.

They should move on to physical therapy before they get any where near suggesting surgery.

You probably won't be able to do anything too high impact for a little while, but the elliptical machine and the bike are both an option. If you don't already belong to a gym, it might be worth it to join the local Y for a couple of months to get access to the machines while your foot is recovering.

In my experience, the treadmill just aggravated my PF even if I was just walking on it, so I try to avoid them. But the Elliptical didn't bother my foot at all.

Hope you feel better soon. Foot pain is just horrible. You have my deepest sympathy.

(For the record, I had Plantar Fasciitis (PF) and then went on to develop tendinitis of the extensors and capsulitis, which is inflammation of the ligaments around the joint. In my case it was the base joints of the toes, or the ball of my foot. All on the right foot.)

Last edited:
Oh I'm so glad that someone pointed out this thread to me! I just found out I have the same issues! I'm getting PT where they shake my foot around and tape it up and I have to do it every other day. They want me to get custom made orthotics too. It's getting to be really expensive but it seems that if I go through my school it may get dramatically cheaper. My doctor said I could do low impact work so I've been doing that. I tried LowMax the other day and I only did it on 6 inches and it felt ok. Not as high as a burn as on 8 but I got the fun factor in so I was happy. I've been really careful about having a "soft touch" on my feet so I never put down too much pressure.

I have neuroma's on both of my feet too and they can be so painful. I have gone to a foot doctor and so far have had to steroid shots and have the orthotics in the shoes. My foot doctor told me to never ever go with out shoes unless you are in bed. He said they could do surgery too but I am like the others that will be my last option for sure! I do have a friend who had the surgery though and said it was the best thing she ever did. Good luck!

Morton Neuroma

I had a MN removed from my right foot about 12 years ago. I lived with the pain for 10 years prior to it! My surgery was covered under insurance and it's one of the best things I had done for myself. Now I can play team sports, workout, dance, etc. without any pain at all. So, I would personally recommend surgery; esp. if it's paid for. :) Any questions, feel free to e-mail me!

Patti

**For workouts now, I would suggest swimming, elliptical or biking, etc.

That's a really important point BigSal! Shoes provide some support as it is and my doctor told me the same which sucks because I went my whole life barefoot at home. But its true...

Interesting! I wear shoes pretty much from the moment I wake up until the moment I go to bed (though not in my shower! :p) For once I have done something right!

-Beth

Are you limited to dvd workouts only? The reason I ask is that there are many non-impact cardio workouts - spinning, elliptical training, rowing... If you have access to a gym or health club, it might be joining until you're "back on your feet." Also, try circuits when you lift - you can get your heart rate up and work on muscle definition at the same time. I love Cathe workouts, but there are other options also. Hang in there!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.