Best Upper Body Workout?

exercise-lover

Cathlete
I'm looking for advice on which strength dvds to purchase. I do not own the STS strength series (funds, of course). I have ME and MM. I'm looking for workouts that have mostly upper body focus. I use the premixes on the two I own, but would love more. My knees just won't take endless lunges and squats. Any suggestions?

I'm looking for advice on which strength dvds to purchase. I do not own the STS strength series (funds, of course). I have ME and MM. I'm looking for workouts that have mostly upper body focus. I use the premixes on the two I own, but would love more. My knees just won't take endless lunges and squats. Any suggestions?

Depending on what your budget will allow, I'll make the following suggestions:

The 4-Day Split Series: this is about $77.00 (I think), and does include cardio on each of the four workouts as well as one strength set for legs. However, the upper body splits are very highly praised here, and many Catheletes use 4DS for its strength sets only.

If not that, then:

The Gym Styles discs devoted to upper body; there are two, each of which is about $27.00,for a total of about $54.00. This is a more intensified split-set system than Muscle Endurance or Muscle Max. You might find some spillover drills from Muscle Max because the Gym Styles are from the same series.

And/or:

Body Max 2 (I can't remember the cost, but I'd bet it's along the same lines as one of the Gym Styles). Although this workout includes a fair amount of cardio and leg work, it also has a very good upper body workout (not to mention a real screamer core routine that I enjoy tremendously) and there are a lot of premixes on it as well to keep things fresh.

HTH -

A-Jock

I love the Gym Styles Series (Back, Shoulders Biceps and Chest and Triceps). They are my absolute favs. I also like the Pyramind Series. It's the only workout where I get DOMS in my biceps.

Thanks so much for the advice. I love the idea of getting cardio along with the upper body workouts. Do you happen to know how high the impact is on 4-day split and Body Max 2? SIGH -- knee issues again.

I do love knowing which premixes are good, so thanks for the recommendation of the one on Body Max 2. Any other recommendatons on great premixes on other DVDs that really work the upper body would be greatly appreciated?

Thanks so much for the advice. I love the idea of getting cardio along with the upper body workouts. Do you happen to know how high the impact is on 4-day split and Body Max 2? SIGH -- knee issues again.

I do love knowing which premixes are good, so thanks for the recommendation of the one on Body Max 2. Any other recommendatons on great premixes on other DVDs that really work the upper body would be greatly appreciated?

Hello again, Exercise-Lover:

With 4DS's Boot Camp routine, there are twelve rapid-fire drills, some of which are higher impact (high-knee runs, power-7's, bounding jumps, etc.) and some of which aren't. I think you'd be able to cook up some good modifications (really high-knee marches and 7-knee repeaters in lieu of high-knee runs and power-7's for one example), OR - you could simply continue a previous lower-impact drill through the subsequent higher-impact drill until that next one ends. Or simply repeat a lower-impact drill, and then skip the next one with your chapter-next button on your remote. All of the drills have their own chapter points, so that one is easy. 4DS-Kickbox does also contain some higher impact, but IMHO creating your own modifications simply by staying grounded while the Cathe crew are jumping is very serviceable. The Higher Intensity Step - eh, I'd be leery of that one with knee / impact issues. Lower Intensity Step, not so much. HOWEVER - complex choreography to the max, so get your fancy footwork freak on!

If you have impact issues to the extent you describe, in all honesty I wouldn't look to Body Max 2 for its cardio. There is a fair amount of impact in the steady-state step section, and a LOT of impact in the power circuit section, as well as traditional leg weight work in the power circuit section, and you might find yourself trying to modify so much you're doing a completely different workout. JMHO.

Again, HTH!

Also, if you're still contemplating a strictly strength DVD, also consider the Slow And Heavy DVD released 2001. This one has all three workouts (split-set upper body and lower body training) on one disc, and when it says SLOW and HEAVY, by God it means it! A very different method of training because of the rep counts employed.

A-JOck

WOW you've given me some great advice on how to modify the high impact moves. I can do many of Cathe's cardio dvds. I do have to modify any of the high impact moves. For example, I love Drill Max but cannot do the jacks or plyos. I just do side leg lifts instead. I'll try some of your suggestions too. Thanks so much!

SH

I would suggest checking out slow and heavey on FitTv if you get it. Its not the whole workout, just some clips but it will give you a good idea of what it is like. There are a lot of push ups on 4-DS so if you can't be on your knees (or already do boy push ups) it might be a little more difficult. I think maybe the two GS workouts might be the best choice for you.

Thanks. I'll check out Fit TV for slow and heavy. That's a great tip. I do boy pushups, so that's not a problem. What are "the two GS workouts" you mentioned? I want to follow up on that too.

Im not sure if its been mentioned yet but how about Upper Body Pyramid...its awesome! I also like to do Power Hour,the upper body workouts on there really get me good;):)

Good Luck!

I too like pyramid upper body. I use the fit tv version. I think it is pretty comaparable to the actual full workout. I think some reps of triceps are missing. I just add them on myself. Melissa

I third the pyramid upper body. One of my favorite. I go for that the most. After STS I will do that again and I can't wait!.

I'm following all your advice. I purchased Power Hour (and will do mostly the upper body), Pyramids, and Slow and Heavy. I also got Body Max 2 because of what you said about the upper body premix. I decided that since I'd ordered STS Cardio, I didn't really need 4DS, but may change my mind later. I already have Muscle Max and Muscle Endurance. Now, when I get STS Cardio, I'll have lots of strength dvds to mix in. Thanks for all your suggestions.

Next question. Now I need to buy some heavier weights. Where's a good place to purchase them? Anyone bought any that they love?

First of all, I totally agree on PUB. It is the one workout that consistently gives me results I can see in definition and also in strength increases. You can also use it as a supplement to other workouts by working biceps, for example, in whatever DVD you are using and then go to PUB and go up only or down only. I get most of my weights used at Play It Again Sports for .49/lb. for the regular hex shapes, all metal. I would also check craigslist unless you just want brand new but really, the ones I've gotten at Play It Again look just like my others. Seems that their price and Academy's price for new is right about the same.

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.