Best place to buy barbell set?

Hi all,

I am new to Cathe videos but am really getting hooked. I've been slowly increasing my endurance and coordination with Cathe DVDs and just so impressed with her videos. I'm in better shape now than I ever was going to the gym! I've mostly been doing step for cardio but ready to start weight training. I've lost about 40 lbs and have 20 more to reach my goal. I'm hoping to kick start a stubborn plateau!

Where is the best place to purchase a barbell set? Should I order on line or can I pick something up at my local Target or sporting goods store? What size weights do I need to start?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Nicole

Regarding SNM's recommendation - I bought a very similar WalMart set for about $35 in the store. I've had it for almost one year and am very pleased with it. Mine came with 10 and 5 pound plates so I also bought four 2.5 pound weight plates. They added versatility and helped when doing Pyramid Lower Body.

Linda M.

I have 2 sets of these, they are great. The bar that comes with the 55lb set is the same that comes with the 100lb. set, so it can hold more than 55lbs. I bought mine on Amazon a while ago for a great price and only $10 shipping, but last I checked the price went up.

Try also searching on craigslist.org. Sometimes folks pretty close by are selling for a decent price.

Carmen.

Nicole,

Congrats on your weight loss. That's fantastic. Lifting weights will defintely help you kick start that plateau!

The barbell set at Walmart looks great and good price....not sure where you live but I really like Sports Authority. I've gotten alot of my weights there....including my recent purchase of Olympic Weight set.

Good luck!

Congrats on your achievement Nicole!!! The ones from Wal Mart are the ones I have. I got them a couple years ago and they are still in great shape. I'll probably get the 100lb one so I can have more weights!!

Last edited:
Thanks again for the input. I think I'm going to order the set from Wal-Mart. I remember looking at it a while ago and it was much cheaper. Oh well, still a good deal!

Do you have a Dick's Sporting Goods near you? I got mine there. It's 100 lbs. and was only $24.99. also, congrats on your weight loss!!!!!!!!!!

Also try yard sales (look in your local paper and see if anyone is getting rid of fitness/weight equipment).

If you have it in your budget, I highly recommend the Troy Lite barbell set. It's usually not available instore (though if some place like Dick's could order it, it would save you shipping), but it's worth the price, IMO.

It's more compact than some of the huge-looking barbell sets (sized more to fit women, IMO), and has nice rubber-coated weight plates that won't rust.

Quite a few of us have this set: http://www.fitness1st.com/Troy-Bars.html I recommend that if you get it, you also get a pair of 10# plates.

I actually have 2 Troy Lite sets (plus extra 10# and 1.25# plates, the later of which they no longer sell), which makes doing PLB easier because I have fewer weight changes to make.

I have the TroyLite 40-lb set and am very happy with it. I immediately wished I had bought the heavier set, but then found Reebok plates at Target that have rubber on the edges of the plates (I prefer the rubber coating because I work out on a tile floor). I watched for them to go on sale and got a good price on them. I'm going to be watching again in the new year to pick up some more. Another thing I like about the Reebok plates is they are not solid, but have "holes" in them that make them easy to pick up.

I never thought I'd have THIS question - but do you find that the Troy lite max of 80 pounds is enough?

The reason I'm asking is that my 1RM reps for most of the lower body work came in much higher than I expected, over 100# in cases. It doesn't seem possible ... but that's what the calculator said. Right now I'm using a combination of heavy dumbbells and a weighted vest, for 66 pounds altogether to do most of my squats, at least when going heavy, and more like 56# for the lunges.

Would it make sense to buy a different style barbell, that accomodates heavier weights? Or is the 1RM so much higher than what I'd expect to be able to lift that an 80# set would keep me busy for a long time? I only started lifting about two years ago, and still consider myself a beginner.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.