Best for Backpacking?

jjphoto

I'm needing to get in better shape for some backpacking trips later this year. I've been pretty inactive for about a year now. I've read in many places that a step class is a great addition to a workout routine, but the only ones here are during work hours, so I ran across the Cathe site when researching.

I was thinking of getting this since I've never done any step before whatsoever. http://www.shopcathe.com/Original_Health_Club_Step_p/1011beginner.htm

Is that the place to start? Is that a good step to start off with? And what DVD would you recommend to do next after that? (thinking of getting it at the same time)

Carrying 40 pounds on your back in the wilderness can get pretty grueling and I want to make sure I'm in tip-top shape! Any help is greatly appreciated.

I think that's a great place to start. I also recommend looking at Cathe's 3 month beginner's rotation:

http://www.thecathenation.com/forum/showthread.php?t=236223

It's in the Rotations forum. You say you've been inactive for a year, if you were previously fit your level will most likely progress quickly. So if the above rotation looks too easy for you, there's also an intermediate rotation. Let me know if you need the link.

I love backpacking and working out with Cathe definitely makes it much more comfortable. While cardio capacity is nice, I think strength is what makes it easier. I highly recommend weight training. Go easy at first and as you improve you can add to your work out collection. Good luck and enjoy!

And welcome to the world of Cathe!

anne

Thanks mrsmel! I looked at that link and it looked like a whoooooole bunch of different videos with a whooooole bunch of different equipment. I'll have to try to figure out what all is needed.

Well, yes, there is a fair amount of equipment, but in addition to what you propose to buy above, you'd have to purchase Low Impact Step + Total Body Sculpting (one DVD) and Total Body Stretching. You would also need a stability ball and small hand weights (3 pounds). Cathe uses resistance tubing in the Total Body Sculpting work out, but you could easily substitute dumbbells. You could probably get by without the stability ball at first, too, but I love my stability ball and always recommend people get one. It's one of my favorite pieces of equipment.

I guess what I'm saying is the rotation looks like a lot of different work outs, but they're all on 3 DVDs because Cathe bundled some work outs together.

I hope that helps.

anne

There's a web site called Mountain Athlete that posts workouts for a variety of athletes (recreational and pro) skiers, climbers, mtn bikers, snowmobilers...http://www.mtnathlete.com/

Some pieces of their workouts are geared toward getting in shape for the hike in with gear. These are generally "grind" circuits that emphasize work capacity and core strength. They include things like step-ups with a 25-30lb pack, planks, weighted push-ups (can be modified) and such. I used some of them for pre-ski and snowshoe season training and it helped my endurance a lot.

Here are some samples of this from their web site (all weights are modifiable):
10 Rounds for Time
-50x Step up with backpack (M-35#, W-25#)
-5x Slasher-to-Halo (10x total, M-20kg, W-12kg) - leave backpack on
-5x Push ups with backpack

7-6-5-4-3-2-1(Grind, not for time)
Step ups x10 (Men - 35#, Women-25#)
Ab Roller
Ankles-to-Bar x2
Virtual Shovel (per side)
1-Arm Situp (M-16kg, W-12kg - per side)
Sandbag Halfmoon (M-45#, W-35# - per side)
First Round looks like:
70x Step ups (35x each leg)
7x Ab Roller
14x Ankles-to-Bar
7x Virtual Shovel each side
7x 1-Arm Situp each arm
14x Sandbag Halfmoon (7 each direction)

Also, just loading up a pack and going for a walk with it will help a lot (low tech, low equipment).

HTH

Thanks for the help! What I was thinking was building a 40# sandbag to put in my pack and doing some exercises/walks with it and doing the Cathe stuff for cardio and some strength.

I think with a combo of what has been put up here that I can build a regimen that can get me going.

Sandbags are awesome!! I built one over Christmas that's about 40lbs. It's basically a canvas Army surplus bag with a 40lb bag of wood pellets in it. Carrying that thing around is a workout in itself. You'll be "backpack ready" in no time. :)

Yeah I was looking at the military duffel bags, but not sure if it will fit in my pack. May have to improvise a bit - see what I can find. Not any wood pellets around here either (saw that on mountain athlete). But I sure don't want sand flying all over the house either! :D

Is that the place to start? Is that a good step to start off with? And what DVD would you recommend to do next after that? (thinking of getting it at the same time)

Carrying 40 pounds on your back in the wilderness can get pretty grueling and I want to make sure I'm in tip-top shape! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Hi Jjphoto

I'm a backpacker too and I agree that working out with Cathe is a great way to get ready. To prepare for my trips, I usually do a lot of interval training for cardio and lower body weight work for strength. If you buy a step, you're half way there! I think the beginner DVDs may be too easy for you -- Basic Step is pretty, well, basic. I'd recommend instead IMAX2 and Cardio Fusion. They are my "go to" backpacking cardio preparation workouts!

The other thing you can do is load up your pack with the gear you'll actually be carrying and hike with it (even walking around your neighborhood would be good practice/training). If it's too complicated to figure out what gear you'll be packing, you could always buy a water bladder from REI (a very useful gear purchase in and of itself). I think the 10 liter ones weigh about 20 lbs full.

Hope that helps!

PS Where are you going in the wilderness? I'm a wilderness junkie!

Too late - already bought the step and the 3 DVD beginner starter pack. Oh well, having never done step at all in my life, it's not the intensity I'm worried about, but rather the coordination and learning the moves. I'll most likely be doing it with a 40 pound pack on my back so we'll see!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.