Barbell weight question

getnfit@38

Cathlete
This may go down as the STUPIDEST question ever asked, but I need to double check I'm doing this right!

When loading your barbell to a specific weight, you DO add in the weight of the bar don't you?
For instance, I have one bar that's 15#, so if I want to squat with 40#, then I've been doing 25# worth of plates + 15# bar = 40# barbell. Is this right? or am I NOT suppose to count the weight of the bar and load on 40# worth of plates?

Thanks, Donna

Hey Donna, geez, that is the stupiest quesiton I ever read!! JUST KIDDING, HA HA!!! The total includes the barbell. but hey, if you can do squats with 55#'s GOD BLESS YA! As for me, Id be keeled over. Im luck if I can do it with a total of 25#! When I saw Cathe use 40 in power hour I almost died! She's a machine!! Judy

Maybe a better way to word it is that you didn't want to make an incorrect assumption! Never assume anything, right? Besides that, they say there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Thank you so much for that! I continue to learn sooooo much from you guys on this forum, and some things that SEEM like a "nobrainer", I find through someone else's post, was a mistake I was making too! You guys are truly an "educated crowd!" I appreciate being able to benefit from your experience! Thanks again, Donna

>Hey Donna, geez, that is the
>stupiest quesiton I ever read!!
>JUST KIDDING, HA HA!!! The
>total includes the barbell. but
>hey, if you can do
>squats with 55#'s GOD BLESS
>YA! As for me, Id
>be keeled over. Im luck
>if I can do it
>with a total of 25#!
>When I saw Cathe use
>40 in power hour I
>almost died! She's a machine!!
>Judy

Judy, I have to agree with you for sure! I am in awe of the amount of weight that Cathe can squat! Actually, I don't even really aspire to be able to squat that much weight! I think I'm happy with my usual 25 lbs, and sometimes 30 lbs. :D
Jeanne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.