Balance Ball

D

Debra

Bought a new fitness toy, a balance ball, through Gaiam.com (Living Arts). The beginner kit includes a ball, pump & 2 of Suzanne Deason's videos for $40. I'm very happy with this purchase. One video is a 35 minute ab workout. The other, called the Beginner's Workout, is a "parts" video, seems like the easier parts of Deason's 3 ball videos (upper, ab, lower body).

I felt wonderful after doing the Beginner Workout. More stretching than toning, with some Pilates type ab work. Balancing too of course. Good tape to start or end the day. The ab tape is very good. If you've been trying to get more core work into your routine, & pure Pilates doesn't appeal to you, this might be for you. Really interesting version of the jackknife for anyone familiar w/ Pilates.

Deason is very low key & the setting (Oak Creek Canyon near Sedona AZ) is tranquil. You don't have to be a yoga fan to like the videos, but if you like to rock when you attack your abs, this might not be for you. Like Pilates, the movements are about a few controlled movements. Quality over quantity.

I also got Voight's new videos. One, BLT, is also a fitness ball workout. I'm disappointed. Voight's enthusiastic, buff & as always knows just what form error you might be making. But she uses the ball more as a prop for a very short workout.

Got Voight's new circuit training video too. It is ok. Harder than Personal Best but no Circuit Max.

Debra

RE: Hi, Debra!

Hi, Debra, I goth that set up too, but my son poked a pencil into my ball and I have not replaced it yet. I love Living Arts although I don't incorporate them as often as I should.

Debra:
How did you like the abs tape. I did that one yesterday, I was so excited I was almost able to do the whole thing I just could not do the end where she lifts the ball over her head I used my hands for help.
I was going to buy the Karen voight ball workout now I am not so sure after your disappointment.
diane

I love the ab workout. I've been doing Stott's intermediate Pilates tape for awhile & it was getting stale. I'm doing fine w/ the overhead arms, but can't bring my toes to the floor without arching my back. So I'm only coming down halfway.

My husband is going to go through the tapes this week. He likes the setting but I doubt if he'll use the videos. He just wants to know how to use the ball. Several of our male friends are interested too - everything from Golf to Bicycling magazine is recommending them.

I'll give BLT another shot this week & let you know if my opinion changes.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.