Argh! ... just need some reassurance that Rhythmic Step is learnable!

holisticbody

Tried "Rhythmic Step" for the first time tonight and frankly I was totally lost for more than half of the workout. I can't imagine what I must have looked like except for maybe a ranting, wandering lunatic.

Now I have mastered all the steps in "Body Max 2" and "Low Max" and have been doing those for awhile now.

Think I'll eventualy master "Rhythmic Step" and if so, how long did it take everyone else to learn it?

Yes, I think you will. Here is my experience: first time I tried it, I was clueless and did not even get a good workout. After that first try, I practiced one chapter at a time at the end of my cardio workout. After 2-3 practices for each chapter, I was able to do it from beginning to end.

this is one reason I completely stay away from most all step workouts... I am pretty much a klutz when it comes to the step.. I can manage High Step but you don't usually go hopping 360*'s around a High Step! :p So needless to say, I use my step mostly as a bench except on rare occasions (such as Drill Max) and just try my best to keep up!

If you have gotten other step workouts, I'm sure it is just a matter of time before you will be stepping up a storm!

miss two left feet here, saying it took me awhile but i did eventually get it down. mostly combo 3 slipped me up. but me being weird as i am,whenever it was on fittv i would actually watch it to learn the steps. then it was i would skip to the chapters where i was having the most trouble and closely watch the footwork. be darn if its not corny but be darn if it didn't work!

kassia

Yes, I think you will. Here is my experience: first time I tried it, I was clueless and did not even get a good workout. After that first try, I practiced one chapter at a time at the end of my cardio workout. After 2-3 practices for each chapter, I was able to do it from beginning to end.

This is a good idea. Learning it in smaller chunks makes it less frustrating because your head isn't full of all of the choreography at once.

Rhythmic Step was probably the toughest of Cathe's cardio for me to learn. But if you've mastered BodyMax 2 and LowMax, I think you can do it. :)

I LOVE RS and once you get, you get it!
It took me a while to learn it also, but it soon became a favorite.
Give yourself some time and try not to get frustrated, you will get it :D
elliemom

Hang in there, you'll get it. And when you do you will be so proud of yourself. It is one of my favorites. Eraslan's advice is what I would recommend...take it in smaller chunks, after you've already done your cardio so you're not worried about keeping your heart rate up. Rewind the tricky parts if you have to.

If you can get the step in BM2, you can definitely get RS.

Did you preview before doing ?

I always watch a step workout at least once through before doing, and 'follow along' in my head. When I come to a move that is difficult, I make sure to pay attention to where each foot is on each of the 8-count beats (most step workout moves can be broken down into an 8-count sequence) and sometimes make up a different cue for me (like when Cathe does a 'knee-up, triple, triple" I break it down to a "knee-up, step step, triple, triple" which is what the move really is. A small difference, but it helps me.)

I haven't done RS for quite a while, but I don't recall having a lot of trouble with it using my method. Now 4DS step, that's a whole other story.

I'm still learning this one and doing the "tack one section on the end of my regular workout" approach. This always works well for me. I also really find that just watching is helpful too. I watch it while I fold laundry- takes me a while to fold because I get spellbound by Cathe :) but I get there. Good luck and we will BOTH get it!

Thanks for the replies everyone... you've given me another glimmer of hope with this one. ;)

I decided to try the 'learn one segment at a time' approach using just the step and no risers. Last night I did 'Low Max' to make sure I got my cardio workout in and then did the first segment of 'Rhythmic Step'. I must say that already it got a little easier and I followed along better this time, since I was able to concentrate on just learning the steps and not worry about getting a good workout.

I can't wait until I'm finally able to master the whole workout though... seems fun!

Stop thinking and just let your body move

I found that the more I tried to "follow" rather than just relax and let my body naturally watch & learn the easier it became. sometimes when you over-think things it actually gets harder.

By the second time it really got a lot easier-- you'll get it! It's a great workout!

Another thing I do when I am not too sure about the foot work is that I just jog in place and watch-- that way I am still moving and getting a workout so I don't feel like I am "wasting my time" and getting frustrated. Especially on the Step is is easy to take a "mis-step" if you arent' to sure about where you are going.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
It is!!! Out of all the workouts, Rythmic step was the trickiest one for me to learn, but it is a blast.

I just ended up mastering 1 segment at a time. I took my time and once I knew I was up to speed with the 1 segment, I'd move on to the next one.

Do an older Cathe workout then do RS. I enjoy this one, it does take time but once you get it becomes a fav! Sending good vibes>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I always preview it the night before. Then you do fairly well the next day. You just have to be patient, because once you learn it, it is so much fun. Man do I sweat when doing it though. WHEW! It's a great workout!;)

Janie

Good ol' workout! This is the one I started on several years ago. My first Cathe purchase and I have to admit the first few times I did this workout I wondered 2 things. I wondered if I would ever figure out the foot moves and if I would ever make it to the end. I thought I would never get to do the bonus a the end.

But in due time and hard work I made it through it and can complete the blast at the end and actually enjoy myself and have fun with this workout.

It is always a challenge learning something new, but once you get down Cathe's foot moves all her other workouts become easier to understand. You almost know what she'll call next even if it is your first time with another new workout. In those she just released you can hear her comment "new that was coming didn't you". Yeap!!

Take your time and don't get upset, it comes with practice. :D

Quite a while, but so worth it!

It took me a while to learn Rhythmic Step, but it is so upbeat and fun that I got a great workout during the learning curve.

It is so worth learning.

Before I tried RS, I watched it a couple of times. Then I did just the warm-up and first cardio segment, twice. Did that a couple of times and then tacked on the 2nd cardio. Watched RS some more. Took about 3 times to get through the 2nd cardio, then started slowly adding the 3rd. I think it took me about 3 weeks to get all the choreography correct, but it was challenging and fun. Take it in pieces, master each section, add on and before you know it, you'll have the whole routine done pat!
Michelle

I think it didn't click w/me until the 3rd or more likely the 4th time. What frustrated me was at the end when she puts it all together she does all one side vs right then left then moving on. Once I finally got it I really like it. I just did it last week & enjoyed it. It is very frustrating when you aren't getting it though.

Good luck

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.