Anyone have Karen V's New Workouts?

Bobbi

Cathlete
I am getting Karen Voight's new workouts on DVD for Christmas. Any review's? It's the circuit training workout and the body ball workout.

I have the new circuit training workout. There are some very positive reviews at the Collagevideo.com site. I, on the other hand, think it's much too easy. I hardly use it because I keep comparing it to Cathe's Circuit Max and find it pretty beginner by comparison. The ab work is solid, but don't like the butt work she does at the end. I hurt my hip bones on the step and don't think I am getting much benefit because of the awkwardness of the positioning. I think you need to have one of those mats that fits on a step. (Anyone know where to find these??) There are three short cardio step segments, adding up to about 25 minutes--absolutely trivial compared to the intensity of Cathe's circuits. She uses 5lb. wts. after the first and 8 lb. wts. after the second and third. I don't think the cueing is very good on these, but they are very easy to follow, and she does enough repetitions so that I did not have too much trouble. If you are looking for an easy day workout, it's not bad.IMHO

Lynda, Matts for Steps

Lynda,
You can get them though KarenVoights web site. At least you used to be able to but they are expensive. What I did however was find a cheap black foam mat from Kmart or Target that was probably about 3' x 8' for about $10 and cut it down to the size of the step.

Dawn

I have the Circuit Cardio/Strength video. I find it too easy alone, but combined with another 25 to 30 minute(excluding warmup/cooldown time) it's fine.
It doesn't hold a candle to her Energy Sprint.

I agree with the comments above. I only have the circuit training tape, and I too find it relatively easy compared to Cathe's, and the butt portion she does on the step hurts my hip bones as well. However, the intensity is great for a lighter day of cardio.

Stacy

I have both videos. Agree with the review above though I think there's a place in most of our weeks' for an easier workout. This one is more difficult than Personal Best but not nearly as fun. I didn't like the leg work on the bench either & I usually love Voight's isolation work. Also the upper body sections had some interesting selections for using the same weight - something like delt raises after chest presses. Didn't work for me.

The ball workout is a waste of money. At best something to tack onto another workout but at $20, it's a crime. Anyone who found the circuit tape too easy, would be very frustrated.

But I read the DVD is only $25 for both workouts. $5 for the ball workout is about right!

Debra

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-04-01 AT 02:44PM (Est)[/font][p]Oops. Double-posted.

I just got the dvd version a couple of days ago. As I have only previewed, and have not actually done the workout, you'll have to take that into consideration when reading my comments.

This is an awesome dvd for the way that it has been broken down into chapters. If you want to see the breakdown, it's available for viewing on Karen's web site. I think that as a dvd, the combined workouts have so much more to offer than either video alone. I also have to wonder if Karen designed the workouts with a dvd format in mind, because of the strength of the dvd. Going by the dvds that I have in my collection, I have to add that I believe that Karen has raised the standard of exercise dvd production (not an easy thing to do when you take Cathe into consideration).

As for the actual workouts themselves, I believe that I will get a good deal of use out of them. I consider myself an advance exerciser, and no, these workouts may not challenge me to the max, but I can see that they will definitely fit into my rotations. The cardio portions are fairly simple, choreo wise, but the options to up the intesity, endurance wise, certainly exist. The weight segments are short and will be great for days when energy and/or time are limited. I'm am new to ball workouts, as this is my first one. I've read comments that this is a beginner ball workout, so it's perfect for me. The warm up and stretches on the ball will make great add ons as I advance.
The music on these videos is the same as in Cathe's CTX series, which I happen to love. Overall, the workouts appear to be high energy and fun!

Thanks! I'll try this site. Maybe I will use the tape more if I can find a comfortable mat for this part.

Thanks to all of you. I did see the menu on the website and it looked like a good mix and match of workouts. Karen was my fave fitness guru until I discovered Cathe.

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-05-01 AT 03:12PM (Est)[/font][p]:-sleepy
:-tired :'( x(

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Dec-06-01 AT 07:19PM (Est)[/font][p]Bobbi, since I find Cathe's newer tapes to be too aerobically complex for me (I traded Rhymetic Step). Do you think I would like the two Karen Voight tapes?

I do love Power Hour!! :) :)

runner1.gif

I haven't tried them yet but from the answers in the thread and from what I know of Karen, I think you would. She is an excellent teacher. She knows her stuff. She's a little dry compared the the incomparable Cathe but her older workouts are top rate. The DVD is in the top of my closet. I have to wait for Santa to try it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.